Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XFX Will Not Offer GeForce 400 Series GPUs

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    that is probably the real reason XFX isnt selling 470 an 480 at launch.

Nvidia is known to punish partners that start selling ATI by removing them from their launch partner list.
    Huh? ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and Palit are all launch partners and are selling from both sides of the fence.
    Last edited by SKYMTL; 03-30-2010 at 06:52 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    But they weren't Nvidia exclusive the year before.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    That's just Fudo being himself and editorializing. Everyone I have talked to at XFX states this was their decision and that NVIDIA was more than willing to support them for this launch. IMO, it all comes down to trying to cut back a bit in what is still a very tough market.

No. For all intents and purposes, there will be no XFX branded GTX 480 or 470 cards at all. Period. At least that's how things stand right now.
    Doesn't this speak volumes about the whole process to acquire them (buying old G92 parts ... who knows?) and the expected profit per unit? I assume other tier one OEMs like EVGA or the like may just squeak by, but XFX's decision not to carry them at all is ominous.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Banned
    XFX is still dedicated to the cut-down versions. Just not the GTX 480 and GTX 470.
    so no GF100 for XFX?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Could be warranty issues. God knows how many problems XFX has had with previous nvidia boards, and one particular model comes to mind...

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by damha View Post
    Could be warranty issues. God knows how many problems XFX has had with previous nvidia boards, and one particular model comes to mind...
    Yeah, like their problems with a load of HD 4890 cards and some emerging problems with some 5000-series cards not based off of AMD's reference PCB...

Xtreme Mentor
    Huh? ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and Palit are all launch partners and are selling from both sides of the fence.
    and they have all been punished for doing so in the past.

Nvidia excluded both from the launch partner list on the first big launch after they started selling ATI.

After this they picked them up as launch partners again. Mostly i think because if they kept punishing them every launch then there wouldnt be many launch partners left.

Further Nvidia can also punish partners by giving them less GPUs at launch.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    With money spent on custom PCBs and trying to get the in-house coolers to fit, I'd sooner say things are on hold. They won't get any GPUs for launch and are seriously pissed about it.

Still, XFX sells a buttload of GeForce cards around Europe and NVIDIA isn't stupid enough to let that go. XFX also wants to sell those cards and will most likely eventually do so.

//Andreas

Q: Why does a business drop a product line?
    A: Its not profitable.

Well that might be a gross oversimplification, but is probably hits the mark. Possible reasons:

1. Nvidia pushed board partners margins to low.
    2. Nvidia only supplies fermi as part of a bundle of chips that xfx decided was unprofitable as a whole.
    3. xfx has some insight that fermi is going to be rma hell because of high temps and "7 billion poisoned vias" per chip.
    4. Ati has offered incentive to snuggle closer

Number 3 is only one that is really a concern to us.

Xtreme Member
    i could have sworn that Nvidia wasnt letting them make the new cards. I knew that last year.
    My rig the Kill-Jacker

CPU: AMD Phenom II 1055T 3.82GHz
    Mobo: ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme
    Game GPU: EVGA GTX580
    Secondary GPU 2: EVGA GTX470
    Memory: Mushkin DDR3 1600 Ridgeback 8GB
    PSU: Silverstone SST-ST1000-P
    HDD: WD 250GB Blue 7200RPM
    HDD2: WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM
    CPU Cooler: TRUE120 Rev. B Pull
    Case: Antec 1200

FAH Tracker V2 Project Site

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, like their problems with a load of HD 4890 cards and some emerging problems with some 5000-series cards not based off of AMD's reference PCB...
    lol there something between you and ati thats for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    So for the last 3 months Nvidia talked about Uniengine and then Uniengine and more Uniengine and finally Uniengine. And then takes the best 5 seconds from all the benchmark run, makes a graph and then proudly shows it everywhere.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I would kill GTX400 if I could choose. What a huge disappointment, especially the unimpressive numbers after the LONG delay.
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Member
    I think it's simply about the money, as in the loss of if XFX were to put out GTX4xx cards. There is no doubt going to be lots of RMA's from melting fermi's and I think XFX has decided that those cards just aren't worth the headache at this point and time. I mean really the margins for these things has to be tiny already due to manufacturing cost. Couple that with the impending RMA's and you can see the writing on the wall.
    Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
    i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3-1600
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme
    Corsairs HX1000 PSU
    EK-Supreme HF: AquagraFX 680 GTX: MCP-355

Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    oh come on, i am just getting tired of all the crap people says about the fermi. First off fermi is the first nvidia product i will ever have so there is no freaking fanboyism in my post ( i am currently a owner of hd 5770and i love it for what it can do). Then fermi is not a bad product at all. Get over this Nvidia used a completly new arch instead of using their old g80 arch and juts die shrink it and call it a day like Ati have done with the hd5xxx serie. Yes fermi is hot and use alot of power. Now lets go see again the new arch from both side. That mean lets take a look at g80 and for ati if i remember well its rv670. So what i find out when i check out the flagship card of both new arch from both sidem well we find out a Hd 2900 xt and a 8800gtx. Oh noes !!!!! both card were said to be very hot, very power consuming and the didnt gave alot of improvement from the previous gen cards. And its noit just one side that got those problems both had it. Now we have a card that actually DO give a performance boost from last gen cards, beat the Hd5870 especially with with high aa and af by atleast 10% but is hotter than the others and use a bit more power and everyone says that Fermi is pure BULL. Well do you wanna know something. You are JUST A BUNCH OF IDIOTIC TROLL.

Seriously even in car forum i have never seen such Fanboyism. Heck i am sure you could scare some spectator of the Bathurst 24hr race with your fanboyism.

end of my big rant

Ps: if any mod or admin think i have gone too far plz tell me before you ban me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDtung
    We overclock and crunch you to the ground

Xtreme Member
    I could speculate and read up on the rumors about why XFX is not putting out GTX480 cards at launch;
    It could have been one or the other, or both.
    But what really matters to me is that (unfortunately) they aren't doing it, and their warranty will not be on the GTX480.
    If they begin to produce them over time or under the refresh, well that's equally important I hope they do.
    "Red Dwarf", SFF gaming PC
    Winner of the ASUS Xtreme Design Competition
    Sponsors...ASUS, Swiftech, Intel, Samsung, G.Skill, Antec, Razer
    Hardware..[Maximus III GENE, Core i7-860 @ 4.1Ghz, 4GB DDR3-2200, HD5870, 256GB SSD]
    Water.......[Apogee XT CPU, MCW60-R2 GPU, 2x 240mm radiators, MCP350 pump]

Xtreme Member
    I think they'll wait for the new revision or a die shrink before they support the high end GTX4xx cards. They just don't want to get burned with the current incarnation of Ferni. Why else would they say no to the top cards and yes to low end and mainstream cards.
    Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
    i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme
    Corsairs HX1000 PSU

Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterfix View Post
    I think it's simply about the money, as in the loss of if XFX were to put out GTX4xx cards. There is no doubt going to be lots of RMA's from melting fermi's and I think XFX has decided that those cards just aren't worth the headache at this point and time. I mean really the margins for these things has to be tiny already due to manufacturing cost. Couple that with the impending RMA's and you can see the writing on the wall.
    +1, they also have the 58xx and 59xx and im sure that has higher profit margins, if u notice xfx only sells ati parts and profitable things from NV (the gf2xx parts/g92) and they dont have wide availability except for the 220/240 from NV
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
    Q: Why does a business drop a product line?
    A: Its not profitable.

Well that might be a gross oversimplification, but is probably hits the mark. Possible reasons:

1. Nvidia pushed board partners margins to low.
    2. Nvidia only supplies fermi as part of a bundle of chips that xfx decided was unprofitable as a whole.
    3. xfx has some insight that fermi is going to be rma hell because of high temps and "7 billion poisoned vias" per chip.
    4. Ati has offered incentive to snuggle closer

Number 3 is only one that is really a concern to us.
    i do believe intel has a lawsuit in progress from amd over these types of market tactics, can't see amd trying any of the same silliness. offering your partners a deal if they exclude your competitor is very illegal. and as for point #3, the via issue was fixed before evergreen began mass production. channels are the problem of today... well a problem for some.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah this really has nothing to do with ATI or nvidia punishing them. XFX are hardly a bastion of backbone and I'm surprised they didn't ditch the second it was apparent fermi was delayed. Warranty problems, hah! XFX has the same "screw you customer, were infallible" attitude as Asus.
    Last edited by Dainas; 03-30-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I can see some peoples point of XFX not producing the card because of

A) its a gamble on a card that is apparently too hot and could lead to many RMA's ETC

B)The architecture of the graphics card is less than insipring.

These are all conclusive and valid assumptions which we can to an extent believe in. However people are forgetting the fact that XFX is producing mainstream fermi cards. At the end of the day the way i see it is that Nvidia is kinda punishing XFX to a certain extent as I cannnot fathom XFX losing out on a section of the market which could be lucrative to them. They certainly have a fanbase within the Nvidia group and will not like to see their section of customers go to another brand. They are a business at the end of the day and to not offer a card like fermi to their customers is a blow.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel Core i7 980X @ 4ghz
    EVGA 590 GTX x2 Quad SLI
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 12GB PC3-12800C8
    Western Digital 150 GB Velociraptor
    Corsair AX1200
    Asus Xonar Xense
    Custom Watercooling
    Lian Li Pc-P80 Armoursuit

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by snoro View Post
    snip
    ......wow spacing if you friend man. i do not really think anyone is being a troll? for the amount of power it draws....it is still very close to 5870 performance, but thats not what people are really talking about in this thread?

on topic - xfx made my 5870 card....i hear they have a good warranty? too bad Fermi users will not be able to get it....at least for now anyways.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatecrasherlok View Post
    I can see some peoples point of XFX not producing the card because of

A) its a gamble on a card that is apparently too hot and could lead to many RMA's ETC

B)The architecture of the graphics card is less than insipring.

These are all conclusive and valid assumptions which we can to an extent believe in. However people are forgetting the fact that XFX is producing mainstream fermi cards. At the end of the day the way i see it is that Nvidia is kinda punishing XFX to a certain extent as I cannnot fathom XFX losing out on a section of the market which could be lucrative to them. They certainly have a fanbase within the Nvidia group and will not like to see their section of customers go to another brand. They are a business at the end of the day and to not offer a card like fermi to their customers is a blow.
    Well we all know that the mainstream cards are the bread and butter for these companies and the lower derivatives of fermi won't be nearly as power hungry or hot for that matter.
    Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
    i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme
    Corsairs HX1000 PSU

Heat

Well we all know that the mainstream cards are the bread and butter for these companies and the lower derivatives of fermi won't be nearly as power hungry or hot for that matter.
    i think that they would unless TSMC fixes something or they get rid of cashe. if u look at xfx they are not a top NV maker like evga and they are not a bargain brand like GW/pallit so they are a second or third pick. then NV was rumored to force oems to buy alot of lower end parts to be able to get the fermi so if u look at it, ati is ahead in every category ATM except top single gpu that is not oced so there is almost no1 informed who would buy a lower end NV card other than for phsyX. XFX also has cut down pcbs with low end pwms for the entire ati range other than the 5970 so im sure that they are getting huge margins on them. so to sell the NV parts it would come down to advertising to get back to peoples top picks lists but then they would have to say that one of their lines was bad. so it just makes their strategy way easier to stay with who ever makes them the best margins per card when they have the performance categories.

remember that they have the 58xx and 59xx so they would have to find a way to say that the NV card is better than the 58xx cards but the 59xx is the best, that would do nothing but confuse people, and an oced 58xx will take out a stock 4xx (by gettng the same FPS but way lower wattage) and as an OEM i wouldent sell an overclocked 4xx except for a vary limited liquid cooled one or 10-50mhz upped, but for ati its safe up to 1ghz IMO for a sale as they arnt hot and dont have to much higher power consumption
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i think that they would unless TSMC fixes something or they get rid of cashe. if u look at xfx they are not a top NV maker like evga and they are not a bargain brand like GW/pallit so they are a second or third pick. then NV was rumored to force oems to buy alot of lower end parts to be able to get the fermi so if u look at it, ati is ahead in every category ATM except top single gpu that is not oced so there is almost no1 informed who would buy a lower end NV card other than for phsyX. XFX also has cut down pcbs with low end pwms for the entire ati range other than the 5970 so im sure that they are getting huge margins on them. so to sell the NV parts it would come down to advertising to get back to peoples top picks lists but then they would have to say that one of their lines was bad. so it just makes their strategy way easier to stay with who ever makes them the best margins per card when they have the performance categories.

Remember that they have the 58xx and 59xx so they would have to find a way to say that the NV card is better than the 58xx cards but the 59xx is the best, that would do nothing but confuse people, and an oced 58xx will take out a stock 4xx (by gettng the same FPS but way lower wattage) and as an OEM i wouldent sell an overclocked 4xx except for a vary limited liquid cooled one or 10-50mhz upped, but for ati its safe up to 1ghz IMO for a sale as they arnt hot and dont have to much higher power consumption
    You are correct but I was only talking about the fourth coming fermi derivatives. There will no doubt be a demand for these cards with the XFX warranty attached. The margins for these cards should be a lot better too, which will likely be incentive enough for XFX to make the offering available.
    Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
    i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme
    Corsairs HX1000 PSU

Heat

You are correct but I was only talking about the fourth coming fermi derivatives. There will no doubt be a demand for these cards with the XFX warranty attached. The margins for these cards should be a lot better too, which will likely be incentive enough for XFX to make the offering available.
    yah but when u cut cashe and shaders and rops out (im guessing lots of rops out) it wont be as competative and they are scheduled for q1 next year from what i heard so thats a long time off
    Last edited by zanzabar; 03-30-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast