Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OCZ Focuses on Core Businesses

Xtreme X.I.P.

OCZ Focuses on Core Businesses

OCZ Raises $15.45 Million to Advance SSD Business, Shuts Down All Non-Core Operations
    “We are focusing on our key product categories. We have ceased sales and marketing of the Hypersonic brand […]. We have transitioned away from the coolers, systems and peripherals and allowing us to focus and direct resources to our core solutions which are SSDs, power supplies and memory,” said Alex Mei, executive vice president and chief marketing officer at OCZ Technology.
    Source

Xtreme Addict
    This could be a smart choice. I don't think most consumers had heard of their other products aside from their core ones.

Banned
    To me OCZ is a synonym for RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by gOJDO View Post
    To me OCZ is a synonym for RAM.
    True.. They're non-core products weren't very famous... I think they had some gaming mice.

Xtreme Addict
    RAM in 2.5" PACKAGE, CONNECTOR OVER SATA

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xtreme Mentor
    heard some of their coolers were decent. ohh well.

Xtreme Mentor
    wicked, ill buy some shares in them i think soon =)
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Addict
    it sucks for the people who are likely losing their jobs.

although I'm surprised that they're not thinking about or making a Corsair 800D competitor seeing as Corsair is their main competition.
    i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.25v
    GTX 470 @ 859MHz 1062mv

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm completely unsurprised by that statement. OCZ has already said it intends to have its SSD sales expand to make up 70-80% of sales revenue. (Currently OCZ's SSD sales generate approx. 35% of its sales revenue and memory sales a tad over 50%.)

Since OCZ wants SSD sales to grow by so much, not surprising to see OCZ close out other lines. I honestly expect, in my opinion, to see OCZ slowly close down its power supply line as its power supply sales only account for approx. 18% of sales revenue. (Figures are as of OCZ's latest SEC filings.)

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Overall, I think this is good. I'd rather see a company focus on a few key areas and be absolute Masters of those areas. Diversification is good, but there's a limit
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    wait, they did something else than "SSDs, power supplies and memory"? never really saw any other ocz products besides the mentioned but usb sticks
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A very good move for OCZ. Someone in the company knows how to run a business. I'm guessing a GE alumni.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    wicked, ill buy some shares in them i think soon =)
    They delisted from the London Stock Exchange in 2009

Quote Originally Posted by RaZz! View Post
    wait, they did something else than "SSDs, power supplies and memory"? never really saw any other ocz products besides the mentioned but usb sticks
    They made tons of USB flash drives, a bunch of heatsinks, a few notebooks, a keyboard, a mousepad, and of course 8800GTX
    Last edited by HiJon89; 03-28-2010 at 05:30 AM.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Overall, I think this is good. I'd rather see a company focus on a few key areas and be absolute Masters of those areas. Diversification is good, but there's a limit
    I agree.
    Pity, though, their RAM and PSUs were inexpensive yet very decent.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    I agree.
    Pity, though, their RAM and PSUs were inexpensive yet very decent.
    Ram and power supplies will still be produced and sold.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Makes sense honestly. I already own two ocz drives and plan on getting a 3rd for my laptop and a 4th for whatever other computer I build.

SSDs are like crack and OCZ produces some very fine stuff.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    I'm the opposite. I did hear about there ram, SSD and PSU but I never did buy there main products. I own mouse, and keyboard because it was cheap at newegg. Same with Asus (known for there motherboards but ended buying EEE and monitors). lol It's always some other brand caught my attention. (DFI motherboard, Gskill RAM, and Corsair PSU)

Xtreme Member
    OCZ got a terrible rep for PSU's IMO with their pretty crappy ModXStream and CoolXStream stuff.... I couldn't recommend that to anyone.

Now they have PCP+C so we'll see if they start to take a turn for the better. I don't think there is enough SSD revenue to support 70% of OCZ... they still do make good RAM but they also lost the reputation that Corsair and Patriot and G.Skill have for good high-end RAM.... they are mostly stuck to mid-range things.

Xtreme CCIE
    I too think it's a very positive move. OCZ had become too diversified, and while their peripheral products were interesting they have probably been more of a burden than a blessing.

I do hope they keep producing thumb dives though as they do fit into their storage model. Their Rally2 series is (was?) very good, though it does need some updating.

Hopefully they will be able to keep job loss to a minimum and transfer most of their employees who were on other projects.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
    OCZ got a terrible rep for PSU's IMO with their pretty crappy ModXStream and CoolXStream stuff.... I couldn't recommend that to anyone.

Now they have PCP+C so we'll see if they start to take a turn for the better.
    I don't think there is enough SSD revenue to support 70% of OCZ... they still do make good RAM but they also lost the reputation that Corsair and Patriot and G.Skill have for good high-end RAM.... they are mostly stuck to mid-range things.
    OCZ bought PC P&C nearly two years ago.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FuryPT View Post
    True.. They're non-core products weren't very famous... I think they had some gaming mice.
    They sure have, I'm click n' scrollin right now with their Equalizer mouse.

Back on topic, I'm sure its a good move for OCZ, just the right thing to do.
    Specialize-by that I mean they can have at least 5 things to start focus with. Jack-of-all-trades sometimes work, but it just sometimes.

Anybody likes their NIA gaming controller so far? Cool idea IMO. Turns out it could be beneficial in some other fields, and not just gaming.

But in short i just want their fast SSDs, when the prices gets right though, not solely blaming them at the price level.
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

Without any doubt, OCZ has provided the best SSD support in the industry and it has the largest market share along with Kingston from all other "memory vendors", but it remains to be seen if OCZ can stay competitive and with significant market share once when Intel, Samsung and Toshiba ramp-up their own SSD production and get aggressive with pricing, not to mention manufactures of hard drives like Seagate and WD. In that sense, I strongly believe that in a 3 to 5 years Intel, Samsung and HDD manufacturers will claim about 80-90% of the SSD market, while remaining market share will be divided among memory module manufacturers.

Banned
    I'm glad to hear...when companies spread themselves thin and start trying to compete in more than one field, they usually become mediocre or total crap. You don't see Mercedes tryin to make refridgerators...they make cars cause that's what they're good at.

+1 OCZ

Xtreme Addict
    ocz cryo? please don't kill that....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    ocz cryo? please don't kill that....
    Cyro Z? It was killed years ago. OCZ sold off the units that worked but never made any more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast