Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hacker gets 20 years for stealing credit card data

Life's Replay
    Quote Originally Posted by Caparroz View Post
    lol @ everybody complaining about US justice system. You should check how things work in this dump I live called Brazil. (I'm brazilian so calm down )

Max jailtime here is 30 years. It doesn't matter if the sentence is 234982^2. 30 years it is. To get 30 years (IF you're caught AND judged, wich is very unlikely) one have to quarter and burn half of this shathole population. After 1/4 of the sentence you have the right to pledge for "house arrest" for good behavior (Hitler and Stalin would get it easily). Then one do 1/6 of the remaining 7 years robing during day and murdering during night. And that's pretty much it.

I win /thraed.
    That's a little intense. South America is oftentimes a beautiful place, but things like that make me appreciate the somewhat superfluous legal system in my own country.

To all the people saying that "he shouldn't commit the crime if he can't take the punishment", that's a ridiculously close-minded statement. If the foundation of the system is flawed, accepting anything based on this foundation is unreasonable.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Member
    I say let the fella go free.
    200 million dollars is not much in the scheme of things.
    And besides, if your credit card is stolen, cancel it. A new card will be issued immediately afterwords.

By the way, jail time is nothing in compared with death.
    Death is actually a sweet option compared to being anal raped every day, on the day, for 20 years.
    All you big, bad, scary internet commandos say lock him up and throw away the key. Same atitude people took to war in the Middle East 10 years ago. Nowadays, people can't find jobs. Funny how priorities change, isn't it?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteryOperated View Post
    And besides, if your credit card is stolen, cancel it. A new card will be issued immediately afterwords.

Death is actually a sweet option compared to being anal raped every day, on the day, for 20 years.
    All you big, bad, scary internet commandos say lock him up and throw away the key. Same atitude people took to war in the Middle East 10 years ago. Nowadays, people can't find jobs. Funny how priorities change, isn't it?
    let him free? really? why don't we let every robber, rapist, murderer, etc go?
    Their physical CC wasn't stolen.

I really don't give a damn what happens to the guy in prison. He knew the law, he knew what was going to happen if he gets caught. Karma is a
    Last edited by noroger; 03-28-2010 at 04:29 PM.

I wonder if this guy was responsible for my stolen CC number I had to deal with a few weeks ago Thankfully nothing bad happened, overall, it was caught in time but still makes me wonder.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by audienceofone View Post
    Guys, what about the bankers that bankrupt the world with greed and dishonesty? What sentence did they get? A bonus? We will be paying the money back that those guys lost in taxes for a very long time and while we are doing that they will still be getting their obscene bonuses. $200m? That’s a drop in the ocean to what those guys lost.

The banks need excuses like this to justify the premium they charge on the base rate, which is equivalent to getting mugged every time you buy something.
    What about all of the people taking out loans to live well outside of their means? Here in CT most of the home foreclosures that I saw were in pretty high end communities. The blame doesn't fall just in one place.

Xtreme Addict
    So should all criminals go free then ? Where and how do you draw the line ? I'd bet if someone stole all of you money, you wouldn't be saying: "Oh it's okay, I didn't want it anyway."

I'm not sure which you're saying is better, as the two lines seem to contradict each other ?

Xtremeish
    lol @ everybody complaining about US justice system. You should check how things work in this dump I live called Brazil. (I'm brazilian so calm down )

Max jailtime here is 30 years. It doesn't matter if the sentence is 234982^2. 30 years it is. To get 30 years (IF you're caught AND judged, wich is very unlikely) one have to quarter and burn half of this shathole population. After 1/4 of the sentence you have the right to pledge for "house arrest" for good behavior (Hitler and Stalin would get it easily). Then one do 1/6 of the remaining 7 years robing during day and murdering during night. And that's pretty much it.

I win /thraed.
    Max jail time in Norway is 21 years. "We win"...

As for the subject, many years in prison is a very easy thing to give away except for the cost, that being said. A more tailored solution is probably even more expensive.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    Max jail time in Norway is 21 years. "We win"...

As for the subject, many years in prison is a very easy thing to give away except for the cost, that being said. A more tailored solution is probably even more expensive.
    max in Canada is 20
    Intel i7 980x / 3001B331
    HK3.0+LaingDDCPRO+XSPCRX360+1xMCR220
    EVGA Classified X58+EK FB
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 7-8-7-20(TR3X6G1866C7GT)
    ASUS GTX580
    Enermax Revolution+85 950w
    Corsair Obsidian

Xtreme Member
    he committed them while working as a Secret Service informant after an earlier arrest in 2003
    source: http://www.boston.com/business/techn..._20_year_term/

it wasn't his first crime.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    What about all of the people taking out loans to live well outside of their means? Here in CT most of the home foreclosures that I saw were in pretty high end communities. The blame doesn't fall just in one place.
    Still the reason they were given loans was the bankers fault and they should pay the price. Yet we don't let them, and for the most part bail them out.

The system is whats wrong.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurz View Post
    Still the reason they were given loans was the bankers fault and they should pay the price. Yet we don't let them, and for the most part bail them out.

The system is whats wrong.
    Yes, no one should take personal responsibility for any of their actions and the government should be taking over private companies (bank) or bailing them out. We should have just let these banks that got themselves into trouble which wasn't all of them go out of business. Putting a band-aid on the problem doesn't fix it, thats not how capitalism works.

Yes, the system is what is wrong but for different reasons than you think. I think that we have proved that communism (the direction that this country is going) doesn't work.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 03-28-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    20 years is meant both as a deterrent (since the crime is so easy to commit) and as a punishment for the individual.
    If he got 2 years, and everyone else that risked it to steal $200 million also got 2 years, this sort of crime would be a lot more common.

While crimes like rape are much more horrible crimes from the victims point of view, it is so taboo in every society that this alone is a large deterrent. (unlike theft, which isn't seen as being nearly as bad)
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noroger View Post
    let him free? really? why don't we let every robber, rapist, murderer, etc go?
    Their physical CC wasn't stolen.

I really don't give a damn what happens to the guy in prison. He knew the law, he knew what was going to happen if he gets caught. Karma is a
    Absolutely, let him go.
    Putting people in jail for criminal acts does not deter stupid and gullible people from giving away their earthly possession, does it?

Live and learn.

Internet commandos = tough guys. rawr.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    Yes, the system is what is wrong but for different reasons than you think. I think that we have proved that communism (the direction that this country is going) doesn't work.
    Oh I know the reasons
    Still the main reason for this our current situation is the current monetary system and policies it made it OK to live beyond your means.
    Hell the government does it everyday of the week.

The American Penal System needs a complete Overhaul. It doesn't work at all. If anything people come out of Prison Worse than they came in. Which is odd considering it is called "Department of Corrections"

Xtreme Addict
    to all the people saying 2 years is enough..... leave the crack alone ...... seriously if it were you who were one of the victims you'd want 20years in prison right??? then thats what he deserve ..... but i do agree that the legal system is messed up ..... rape and you get less time .....

Xtreme Member
    I think 20 years is too little jailtime for that.

What baffles me is that this kind of stuff doesn't happen more often. Online security in most shops, supermarkets, etc. is almost nonexistent.

without wanting to get into a moral discussion when someone get 3-5 years for rape 20 years seems a very long time, i'd prefer it was the other way around.
    Gaming Box:: q6600 @3.0 :: 9800gtx :: Abit IP35 :: 4gb :: 1.4TB :: akasa eclipse :: Win7
    Development:: PhenomII 955BE @3.2 :: 4200 :: asus M4A785 M Evo :: 1.25TB ::Win7
    Media Centre :: q6600 @3.0 :: x1950pro :: asus p35 epu :: 8gb :: 320 GB :: Lc17B :: Win7
    server:: I7 860 :: p55 gd65 :: 3450 :: 8 TB :: 8gb :: Rebel 12 :: server 2008 R2

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidFiction View Post
    The American Penal System needs a complete Overhaul. It doesn't work at all. If anything people come out of Prison Worse than they came in. Which is odd considering it is called "Department of Corrections"
    It actually isn't called the Department of Corrections It is the Federal Bureau of Prisons which is under the US Department of Justice. At least that is what my credentials, paychecks and uniforms say on them. I could be wrong though. Justice is one thing, corrections is something else that taxpayers don't want to pay for.

@thread: I choose not to comment due to the shark being present.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post
    It actually isn't called the Department of Corrections It is the Federal Bureau of Prisons which is under the US Department of Justice. At least that is what my credentials, paychecks and uniforms say on them. I could be wrong though. Justice is one thing, corrections is something else that taxpayers don't want to pay for.

@thread: I choose not to comment due to the shark being present.
    Why would they call it a "Correctional Facility" then?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidFiction View Post
    Why would they call it a "Correctional Facility" then?
    They have high hopes that someday people will be willing to pay for programs that reduce recidivism rates

Or, they just think it sounds better than "Criminal School - Learn to be a better criminal in just 3-20 years!"
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post
    Or, they just think it sounds better than "Criminal School - Learn to be a better criminal in just 3-20 years!"
    a cheap degree, free board and food, free gym, lots of hot water. sounds perfect.

wait, what do you mean theres no women or beer?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123