Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Hiding a 560 rad inside my Lian Li PC-X2000

Xtreme Legend
    maybe mate but that's what it is. i use one of these PSUs for extreme overclocking and it's an absolute monster. This PSU can handle an overclocked Gulftown on air > 4.4GHz with 4WAY GTX480 on X58A-UD9. There was not one test that hurt the PSU. To me that's incredible that its able to handle all that powerdraw but yes the design isnt really all that straight forward
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    what about re adding the capacitor inside the power supply itself?
    however perhaps the capacitor were added on the motherboard plug itself was due to noise generated on the wire?
    then again my knowledge of electronics is limited at best

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)

Xtreme Guru
    MadHacker: Most probably yes, those capacitors could be placed inside PSU casing and probably it's not problem of wire (as there are several PSUs with good ripple supression even without those capacitors placed on wire). - That's why my comment of it looking like afterthought quick hack fix.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    maybe you could make your own small adaptor with a male and female atx plug and the caps wired into the correct pins between them, and straight wire for the rest, sleeve it and hide behind the mobo...
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Quote Originally Posted by Creekin View Post
    i gotta agree, if they aren't needed why did the manufacture install them at great cost? (parts/labour/design) who said they are not needed? an electrical engineer?

love ya skills on the floorplate!! i have the same problem with way too many unneeded holes, ive got another idea to cover it rathar than replace it, although i would love to, dont have the metal skills you obviously do.
    wheres this new radmount!!?!?!?!

I just recieved my replacment pump an hour ago and now its time to WC!
    Okay, just so everyone is clear. I did not touch the Cache Capacitors on the power and pcie cables. Those are staying and i'll sleeve that later. From the info i got those capacitors on the 24 pin are only there in hopes of better stabilizing voltage and reducing noise performance (e.g the whine/buzz you sometimes hear from certain GPU's). I'm sticking with this advice because it came from a reliable source. Besides, i didn't get any shady readouts when tested.

Thanks for the comments on the midplate. Just give me some more time to get things finished with the new rad mount and i'll post pics as soon as i can.

Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Imho it's bad design of PSU if to get ripples in check it needs capacitors on wires .. looks like afterthought hack to fix unsatisfying initial design.
    I totally get what you mean, Churchy.

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    maybe mate but that's what it is. i use one of these PSUs for extreme overclocking and it's an absolute monster. This PSU can handle an overclocked Gulftown on air > 4.4GHz with 4WAY GTX480 on X58A-UD9. There was not one test that hurt the PSU. To me that's incredible that its able to handle all that powerdraw but yes the design isnt really all that straight forward
    Totally agree and yes not one test hurt the psu.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHacker View Post
    what about re adding the capacitor inside the power supply itself?
    however perhaps the capacitor were added on the motherboard plug itself was due to noise generated on the wire?
    then again my knowledge of electronics is limited at best
    I thought about that and i'll be doing something similar with the other cables. Thanks, MadHacker.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by y0gi View Post
    Okay, just so everyone is clear. I did not touch the Cache Capacitors on the power and pcie cables. Those are staying and i'll sleeve that later. From the info i got those capacitors on the 24 pin are only there in hopes of better stabilizing voltage and reducing noise performance (e.g the whine/buzz you sometimes hear from certain GPU's). I'm sticking with this advice because it came from a reliable source. Besides, i didn't get any shady readouts when tested.
    how did you test it? on an oscilloscope?
    that would be the only you would be able to see any ripple...

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    great progress
    Worklog: Project Black Copper
    Lian Li PC-P80 | Thermochill PA140.3 | Noiseblocker fans | mdpc-x stuff

Quote Originally Posted by MadHacker View Post
    how did you test it? on an oscilloscope?
    that would be the only you would be able to see any ripple...
    Oscilloscope's...? Ripples...? Ahhhhhhhhh...! If it puts minds at ease i've contacted Antec directly and hope to get an answer soon. Besides, if i really need to, i can simply solder the capacitors to the cables from inside the casing and i dont even have to remove the sleeving. But hey, if they're not really important then ->

Quote Originally Posted by aka_GK View Post
    great progress
    Thanks heaps buddy. I think i needed some positivity.

hi,

good job on the mods. i'm really interested in your bench vise/bending brake thinggy. where can i get more info on it?

The Antec Quatro 1200W has been said to suffer from a bit of noise and harmonics (any non linear load causes it) so hence the capacitors, which all high end PSU's have. The strange thing is this is the ONLY power supply I have seen where they have installed the capacitors outside of the actual enclosure (strange must of ran out of space). Basically the capacitors are there to act as a passive harmonic filter to limit THD (total harmonic distortion). Additional capacitors should also be in the enclosure that deal with active power factor correction.

Harmonics can lead to components increase in heat etc. The greater the harmonics/noise the shorter the life of your motherboard, GPU etc. Worst case scenario is you can get signal degradation or components malfunctioning. I would leave the capacitors on to have a cleaner supply, however unless you live in a place with awful mains supply (like India) then it shouldnt be to bad. If you come across problems personally I would of choose a better PSU. The Antec PSU has a crap efficiency even though it advertises 80+. The Corsair HX-1000 and Thermaltake Tough power 1200W are probably a better choice.

P.S. I am an electrical engineer :P

I also have a PC-X2000 and been wanting to install a 560 Black Ice SR1 rad to the back of the PC and low flow silent fans for a while now. This thread might motivate me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    have a look at my rig in sig

i have an x2000 with a 560 on the front and a 140/280 on the rear.
    I think a 560 would fit on the back but it would need to sit out a bit to clear I/O and gpu cards etc.

thanks for the pro psu input
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Quote Originally Posted by supernothing View Post
    hi,

good job on the mods. i'm really interested in your bench vise/bending brake thinggy. where can i get more info on it?
    Thanks, mate. Yeah that bender is pretty awesome. I got lucky on ebay one day and found it from the UK. Try ebay.uk, maybe they have some left and you'll also need a 150mm bench vice. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by deadspeedv View Post
    The Antec Quatro 1200W has been said to suffer from a bit of noise and harmonics (any non linear load causes it) so hence the capacitors, which all high end PSU's have. The strange thing is this is the ONLY power supply I have seen where they have installed the capacitors outside of the actual enclosure (strange must of ran out of space). Basically the capacitors are there to act as a passive harmonic filter to limit THD (total harmonic distortion). Additional capacitors should also be in the enclosure that deal with active power factor correction.

Harmonics can lead to components increase in heat etc. The greater the harmonics/noise the shorter the life of your motherboard, GPU etc. Worst case scenario is you can get signal degradation or components malfunctioning. I would leave the capacitors on to have a cleaner supply, however unless you live in a place with awful mains supply (like India) then it shouldnt be to bad. If you come across problems personally I would of choose a better PSU. The Antec PSU has a crap efficiency even though it advertises 80+. The Corsair HX-1000 and Thermaltake Tough power 1200W are probably a better choice.

P.S. I am an electrical engineer :P

I also have a PC-X2000 and been wanting to install a 560 Black Ice SR1 rad to the back of the PC and low flow silent fans for a while now. This thread might motivate me
    I love Antec psu's, although i have to admit this one really flawed me. The 24 pin had a plastic casing around it hiding the capacitors, so there was no way of knowing. I've heard good things about this psu Like i said before, i may put the capacitors back in. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Creekin View Post
    have a look at my rig in sig

i have an x2000 with a 560 on the front and a 140/280 on the rear.
    I think a 560 would fit on the back but it would need to sit out a bit to clear I/O and gpu cards etc.

thanks for the pro psu input
    Leavin a message at your worklog now mate.

Xtreme Addict
    What happened to this project? This is freaking epic, son!
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Cheers bro and thanks for the bump.

The project, well... where do i start. The project is still going but life has a sick sense of humor sometimes by getting in the way of little pleasures like modding. Had a small run of bad luck lately which eventually got resolved and i even rewarded myself with some much needed vacation time. After getting back home, a couple days later, my entire street got flooded. So many cars were destroyed (including mine) which has set me back considerably with my daily life routine. So i'm in the process of looking for a new car. Anyway, don't want to be a downer, but yes the build is still going. The case itself is going to be extremely modified, kinda like an X2000 on crack. Hopefully i can pull it off. I'd say another 2 to 3 weeks before i can update. Hope you guys understand and thanks for the constant interest in this project. Your comments really keep me going with this. Thanks.

Xtreme Addict
    Hey man, great that your back at it! Keep your head up! All will turn out fine.
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Massive bump

By 2-3 weeks you really mean 2-3 years :P. Funny I am about to upgrade my system with the next Haswell-E CPU's (I have a Lian Li X2000) and decided I might water cool it as well. I stumbled upon this thread and thought that is an excellent idea. I saw that I actually posted here almost 4 years ago wow I can't even remember.

Do you still have your good old X2000 or have you moved on to bigger and better things?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456