Thread: Hormonal System?

Xtreme CCIE

Hormonal System?

I think WCG hates me, that's all there is to it. Or maybe it's my motherboard. I don't know.

When I first got my dual-proc setup I immediately tried running WCG with a blank XP Pro image and I got failtastic results back, results I would expect with a single processor. I never did find out why. Then I loaded on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and again got failtastic results, but was able to troubleshoot those down to a software issue in 7 that required a small tweak and a problem with a cooler not being mounted properly (for convenience I currently have two different non-stock coolers on it, so one chip stays ~47 degrees loaded, the other ~64 degrees loaded... the 64 degree one was mismounted and causing issues).

But about 4 weeks ago now I moved from my apartment into my first house, and that's when things went to again. Before I moved I told the box to stop accepting new WU's, let it finish what it had, then suspended the project and shut down. About 5 days later I started it back up, resumed the project, and... I've been averaging ~20k ppd instead of ~35-40k since. And I have NO IDEA WHY. The system is rock stable, but over the last 3 weeks it's output has halved!

Given it worked before I shut it down and I made no software or hardware changes I am quite confused. I have tried restarting it without any luck. I have been watching temperatures and although there is about a 20 degree difference between sockets (largely due to different coolers on each) the results are well within normal operating parameters with 65 degrees C being the highest one has seen so far.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am this close to selling off my rig at this point because there's no point in paying for electricity and parts for a dual system when I'm getting the same results as a stock single-chip system.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Cruncher
    ill give you everything i have right now...which is about ~300$. I`ll take one for the team...

Member of XS WCG since 2006-11-25

Xtreme Cruncher
    All I can suggest is to keep task manager and CPUz open to make sure all the cores stay at 100% load and it isn't throttling or something strange like that.
    i7 3970X @ 4500MHz 1.28v
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz 9-11-10-27
    Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC 3-way Crossfire
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    HK 3.0-MCP655-Phobya 400mm rad
    Corsair AX1200i
    Sandisk Exrtreme 240GB
    3x2TB WD Greens for storage
    TT Armor VA8003SWA

Back from the Dead
    What he said.. The E5520 at stock has a very low clock speed (evga W555.. hint hint ), so at best you're looking at 40k PPD on WCG if you are running 24/7 and not doing anything else.
    Make sure the board doesn't throttle, you can disable TM in bios to be sure.

Maybe a bios update?
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme crazy bastid
    +1 for the throttling. It can be very persistent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

c[_]
    newer versions of BOINC will auto-suspend if non-BOINC CPU usage rises over ~25%.. might want to look at that.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme CCIE
    I'll take a look at thermal management. I think it's disabled, but I'm definitely not beyond re-checking my initial assumptions.

@jcool - Definitely do want. Want very badly. W555 is the solution to all WCG problems I will also look into updating the BIOS.

@STEvil - It's a dedicated WCG system with nothing else installed, but I did verify that nothing else was running inappropriately.
    Last edited by Serra; 03-30-2010 at 06:09 AM.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    newer versions of BOINC will auto-suspend if non-BOINC CPU usage rises over ~25%.. might want to look at that.
    I was wondering about that... is the client silent about this or does it give you a message when it's suspending due to CPU usage by other progs?
    XS WCG: Voiding warranties for a good cause. Join us!

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I had one doing this recently, it does give a message in the logs about it every time it suspends.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]