Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cray to launch new line of supercomputers

Xtreme Addict

Cray to launch new line of supercomputers

... this time based on Westmere-EP, Nehalem-EX together with "Fermi" Tesla GPU.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03...idrange_super/

Xtreme Guru
    They won't be including Fermi GPUs in these. Rather, it will be the current Tesla cards.

Xtreme Member
    ^ Thats strange...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    They won't be including Fermi GPUs in these. Rather, it will be the current Tesla cards.
    Well, not yet, but it probably will be included after the official Tesla "Fermi" launch. Rather I was surprised that they didn't used ATI GPUs. After all Cray always has a tight friendship with AMD. Also some other vendors offers ATI GPUs in theirs server lines.

Xtreme Member
    Will they run Crysis?

NooB MOD
    To me this isn't a Cray, anyone can do this from their backyard. This isn't a supercomputer, this is a massively parallelized Intel workstation.

Intel chipset? It's not theirs. Intel CPU? It's not theirs. DDR3? It's a standard. SSDs? A standard, and not made by them. Tesla GPUs? Not made by them. InfiniBand? It's a standard. Nothing here screams innovation like the old freon cooled Cray supercomputers.
    Last edited by [XC] Oj101; 03-23-2010 at 12:26 PM.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Oj101 View Post
    Nothing here screams innovation like the old freon cooled Cray supercomputers.
    It's pretty hard to compete with Intel these days.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Mentor
    To me this isn't a Cray, anyone can do this from their backyard. This isn't a supercomputer, this is a massively parallelized Intel workstation.

Intel chipset? It's not theirs. Intel CPU? It's not theirs. DDR3? It's a standard. SSDs? A standard, and not made by them. Tesla GPUs? Not made by them. InfiniBand? It's a standard. Nothing here screams innovation like the old freon cooled Cray supercomputers.
    This is how DELL, HP, Acer and others make their PC, too. Nobody needs to reinvent the wheel, but the innovation in this would the supercomputer in a little box.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Xtreme Addict

What a load of bull. Cray, like every other supercomputer maker on the market today, is about tightly integrating hw into complete systems, they never invented new cpus, memory or the likes.

They do, however, layout their own cpu/memory boards, and which is propably more important, they specialize in creating cpu interconnects for use on their boards (seastar).

And if you want to make this about phase change, it's still in their option list today.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    What a load of bull. Cray, like every other supercomputer maker on the market today, is about tightly integrating hw into complete systems, they never invented new cpus, memory or the likes.

They do, however, layout their own cpu/memory boards, and which is propably more important, they specialize in creating cpu interconnects for use on their boards (seastar).

And if you want to make this about phase change, it's still in their option list today.
    Correction: They NO LONGER invent new cpus, memory, or the like.

Before Integrated circuits reached acceptable performance, it wasn't unusual for super computers to be built of hand picked transistors, capacitors, inductors, and resistors.

in fact it wasn't until 1974 that integrated circuits could surpass a set of hand picked discrete parts in clock speed
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    So let me get this straight, esesentially they took a few dual 1366 boards, stuffed them in blades which meant they couldn't use the top 130w cpu's because blades suck at cooling, hooked up some fancy cables and some software and called it a supercomputer?
    Did I read this right?
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    These guys do know how to build a super computer if budgets do allow. Can't blame em for wanting to make a buck with some more economical gear.

I wonder if the kraken could break 100k WCG PPD?
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by trn View Post
    These guys do know how to build a super computer if budgets do allow. Can't blame em for wanting to make a buck with some more economical gear.

I wonder if the kraken could break 100,000,000 WCG PPD?
    Fixed!
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Both Kraken and Jaguar are interesting computer. The blades are 8P, each consists of 4 2P nodes and a seastar ASIC for communication.

They did an upgrade of both systems last summer to 6-core from the old quad core barcelonas ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehCgG9yZQmg ) and this took them to the #1 and #2 on the supercomputer lists.

It was pretty cool to see the upgrade (I only saw the video) because they did it at the rate of ~5min/blade. The processing is amazing, but not nearly as amazing as the power and cooling complex that is needed because of the processing density.

I was out at CSCS, the swiss supercomputer center as they were unveiling their Monte Rosa cluster, which was also a Cray cluster. Very impressive. There is a picture floating around the web of me next to it.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fixed!
    A quickie look at the numbers and I estimate that Jaguar listed at 1.76Pflops (not sure if this is up to date anymore) would produce 940,000,000 WCG PPD

*update I think Jaguar is listed at 2.33pflops after said upgrade. which would update that estimate to 1,240,000,000 WCG PPD, not too bad. If that joined team XS for a day we would crush easynews and team 2ch in a few hours... Anyone here a system admin in TN? (or have $65,000,000 to build your own?)
    Last edited by trn; 03-23-2010 at 07:20 PM.
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8

Xtreme Member
    So what is a supercomputer these days other than this? If machines based on custom vector processors running obscure proprietary instruction sets were what the market wanted then Cray would be selling them instead.
    Core i7 920, Gigabyte x58-USB3, Radeon 5850 [CF coming soon], 6GB OCZ Platinum, Corsair 40GB Force, 3x 2TB Spinpoint F4, Silverstone OP1000, Dell XPS Studio Case.

Alienware M11x.

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post

They absolutely used to. What they are doind now is using 90% of the shelf parts, man you can probaby order a modern Cray off of NewEgg if you're willing to build it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by >HyperlogiK< View Post
    So what is a supercomputer these days other than this? If machines based on custom vector processors running obscure proprietary instruction sets were what the market wanted then Cray would be selling them instead.
    Nothing, sadly. The supercomputer died to massive parallelization, and to me that is no longer Cray but more like a university project. For me it's not the concept but rather the name behind the project. Cray used to stand for so much more.

I just saw nn_step's post, that kind of makes mine redundant. The machine, even at $65m, can't compete with a $1k CPU under LN2 at superpi. Anyone can slap together one of these things whereas the early 70s were innovative.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    A typical discussion at Cray:
    Engineer 1: Think of a REALLY HUGE number?
    Engineer 2: 224,000!!!!!!!!!
    Engineer 1: WOW! Lets build a supercomputer with that many CPUs
    Engineer 2: HOLY %#&^ YEAH!! I'll call NewEgg so long...
    Engineer 1: Awesome idea, I'll check Best Buy.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by [XC] Oj101; 03-23-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Something being called a "supercomputer" is just a relative term indicative of its performance at the time of its construction. It doesn't much matter how you achieve it, be it 100% exotic or 100% mainstream.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Both Kraken and Jaguar are interesting computer. The blades are 8P, each consists of 4 2P nodes and a seastar ASIC for communication.

They did an upgrade of both systems last summer to 6-core from the old quad core barcelonas ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehCgG9yZQmg ) and this took them to the #1 and #2 on the supercomputer lists.

It was pretty cool to see the upgrade (I only saw the video) because they did it at the rate of ~5min/blade. The processing is amazing, but not nearly as amazing as the power and cooling complex that is needed because of the processing density.

I was out at CSCS, the swiss supercomputer center as they were unveiling their Monte Rosa cluster, which was also a Cray cluster. Very impressive. There is a picture floating around the web of me next to it.

Banned
    umm sorry wrong pic..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Does that supercomputer make me look fat?

And yeah, I dream of Opteron.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    Correction: They NO LONGER invent new cpus, memory, or the like.

Before Integrated circuits reached acceptable performance, it wasn't unusual for super computers to be built of hand picked transistors, capacitors, inductors, and resistors.
    [img][/img]

in fact it wasn't until 1974 that integrated circuits could surpass a set of hand picked discrete parts in clock speed
    They absolutely used to. What they are doind now is using 90% of the shelf parts, man you can probaby order a modern Cray off of NewEgg if you're willing to build it yourself.
    So you're both talking about a time when a real man was writing own drivers for his computer devices, wow. That is, in technological terms, so long ago it could be stoneage as well.

Makers of supercomputers do take ready made RAM, CPUs and other parts off the shelf for a long time now because it just isn't viable to be developing them by themselves anymore. That is true for Cray as for others, so I don't know where the thought "Cray isn't Cray anymore because they don't do everything by themselves" comes from.

They're about integrating standard parts in large scale and make it a efficiently working whole, which is difficult enough. And why would said maker of big irons voluntarily be missing out on the small scale systems, it helps them to survive and get money for, say, developing exascale systems.

NooB MOD
    Please note that I said

To me
    Cray used to be about innovative technological advances ahead of their time, whereas what they are doing now can be done with, relative to back then, incredible ease. Please don't quote me out of context by dropping the "to me"
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Xtreme Member
    Innovative technological advances are great when they do something which can't be achieved with more mundane existing technology, but in many cases the more mundane existing technology can be a better option. A good example was when AMD finally launched K10, it sucked. It might have been a more elegant and advanced design than Intel's MCM quads based on the NGMA but it was slower and had worse yields, thus it's elegance and sophistication was completely irrelevant.
    Core i7 920, Gigabyte x58-USB3, Radeon 5850 [CF coming soon], 6GB OCZ Platinum, Corsair 40GB Force, 3x 2TB Spinpoint F4, Silverstone OP1000, Dell XPS Studio Case.

Alienware M11x.

Xtreme Addict
    Dropping the 'to me' part wasn't intentional.

But why do you think that only when they try to reinvent the wheel they are innovative enough?! You have Intels chips (differerent Xeon and Itanium versions), AMD's (Opterons), IBM (Power), collaborative things like Cell, Sparcs, MIPS and so on to opt between. Not to talk about GPGPU computing. And there's Nehalem-EX. Intel will, from what I gathered, only supply 4 socket chipsets (please correct me if that's wrong), if you want to get 8 or more to work together you'll be in for a round of inventing (like seastar+++++++ or something). Building a redundant, fault-tolerant, always online (99.9999% or more) large scale system from those components that doesn't choke on getting/saving data or melt itself, but rather works efficiently for the purpose it was build is nothing short of amazing.

To me, at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast