Thread: GV-R587UD-1GD problems

Xtreme Enthusiast

GV-R587UD-1GD problems

Good day,

I recently ( Today ) purchased 2 X GV-R587UD-1GD to replace my 2 4870x2 that I sold to friends, I'm having the following 2 problems :

1- (Major issue) I can not run any high Def. movie on my PC any more, the PC will lockup then BSOD.

2- (not so major) In Bad Company 2 I keep gettings horizental lines across the screen, like the lines you see when you cam cord a CRT monitor. Only BAd Company 2 shows this, I tried some other games but they work fine.

I'm using 10.3a and also tried 10.2 but the same problem.

Thx.
    intel Core i7 980x, ASUS Rampage III Extreme , Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2000 CL9 3x4GB , nVidia GTX 680 FTW TriSLI , Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD

Issue no. 2 seems like good old screen tearing -> enable vsync (or vertical sync) to fix it.

As fot the first issue, I have no clue, didn't encounter that with my 5850, sorry.
    Maybe try your cards one by one and see whether one of them is the problem, or whether the CrossfireX setup together causes it.
    Last edited by w4tch0; 03-21-2010 at 03:30 PM.
    The cat only cares when it's feeding time.

Xtreme Mentor
    I have this card. I'm not getting a BSOD but you looking in one my post in this section I get a vpu recover when I play movies with this same card.

I have checked the bios there is only one settings on the card and no UDV settings or powerplay settings at all. it's always at full gpu speeds.

( the pwm for the fans is still the same as a stock card lol I think someone screwed up)

I've had horizontal green lines happen from loose crossfire connectors trying moving the ribbons around. (3870's)
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm running two 5850s in CF, the 10.3 crossfire profiles give me the line thing in BC2, works fine without it.

for media playback did he happen to have an NV card and have something installed that dose hardware decoding, he would need to reinstall codecs to fix that and if thats not the transition its still a good idea to reinstall.

no idea on the tearing but it sounds xfire related
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Playing non HD clips works fine, but HD ones causes the issue.
    I'm searching on that problem and seems people with the same card witnessed the problem too.

Here is what a guy on newegg.com say about it :

As a previous poster has mentioned this card fails whenever video playback that initiates its UVD chip used in DXVA playback runs, causing crashes, GSOD or random reboots. A quick check reveals that the card does run at full 3D GPU/Mem speeds even when in 2D mode. Manually adjusting the clock speeds does alleviate the issues, but doing this every time you play a video is impractical. Catalyst 10.3 does not resolve this issue (tested). A new BIOS is likely the only fix. Recommend picking a 5870 from a different manufacturer.
    intel Core i7 980x, ASUS Rampage III Extreme , Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2000 CL9 3x4GB , nVidia GTX 680 FTW TriSLI , Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD

Xtreme Addict
    Both issues you describes are most likely due to powerplay state switching. Can be alleviated most of the time by messing with your 2d/idle clocks in a catalyst profile. If that fails a bios flash with locked clocks would sort it.
    Guess #2 could be no vsync as well, have noticed pretty bad tearing in bfbc2 at high fps and no vsync.
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Enthusiast
    OK, let's see, the BSOD code I'm getting is 0x00000116

Also, I used driver sweeper and went back to 10.2.....the strips were gone but came back again after testing each card indevidually and I have some white blocks on some walls in Bad company 2 with the 10.2!!!

One more thing, Gigabyte claims a better temps with these cards ................I'm not sure cause I don't have other 5870 with me to compare but the Temp is really high, so high with these cards, when I try any of them alone, I idle on desktop at 47 c. !!! even when I rev. up the fans to 100% the temp doesn't change at all !!

When I couple them in CrossfireX the idel temp. goes to 56 c. !!!

Ohh and the GPU speed in 2d is locked at 850 MHz !

Xtreme Addict
    Make sure you try and lock the memory clock as well. That is the one causing most issues for me when switching powerstates.
    With the ref cooler my card idles around ~40C, load is ~70

From my experience the temp doesn't change much from idle/load with the heatsink design your cards has. But usually they are a fair bit quieter @ same temp.
    Case airflow also play a bigger role with these coolers, worth to keep in mind at least. But coming from two 4870x2, I think you are good to go on that front..

Modify and flash the bios if you want a permanent fix, or wait for drivers to most likely sort it. Could also try a newer version of the stock bios, if you can find one.. Does your cards have ref PCB, with just the cooler swapped out?
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by wez View Post
    Make sure you try and lock the memory clock as well. That is the one causing most issues for me when switching powerstates.
    With the ref cooler my card idles around ~40C, load is ~70

From my experience the temp doesn't change much from idle/load with the heatsink design your cards has. But usually they are a fair bit quieter @ same temp.
    Case airflow also play a bigger role with these coolers, worth to keep in mind at least. But coming from two 4870x2, I think you are good to go on that front..

Modify and flash the bios if you want a permanent fix, or wait for drivers to most likely sort it. Could also try a newer version of the stock bios, if you can find one.. Does your cards have ref PCB, with just the cooler swapped out?
    The Memory speed is also locked, keep in mind that this card is not a ref. design card.
    Regarding temps, I kept an eye on both cards, the problem with temp, is due to the lower card blocking the ait from the uuper card, I need to shift the lower card to the 3rd PCIe slot, but yet again my crossfire bridge is short do you know where I can find long crossfire bridge ?

Xtreme Mentor
    amd GPU tool can lower the speed but voltage is hard locked.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Any one knows where to find long Crossfire bridge ?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamndar View Post
    Any one knows where to find long Crossfire bridge ?
    I know there are a lot of them on Ebay, but quite expensive..
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200

Xtreme Enthusiast
    on ebay they ask for paypal, I don't have a paypal account, I would not mind pay 30$ for 2 !

Hey

I have the exact same card and same problems for Issue #1.

I downloaded the latest K-lite full pack and I do not get BSOD's anymore

With regards to Bad Company 2, have you ever get random freezes in-game and sound just locks up ?

And you're then forced to hard reboot the whole PC
    Last edited by chiggah; 03-31-2010 at 05:12 AM.

yes demonkevy666 is right.....
    george

Xtreme Mentor
    I've found a working bios off techpowerup.

the gigabyte F7 caused me blue lines and that was straight off their site

anyways the bios works perfectly for me no driver recovery on media center play back and lower clocked at idle. (157mhz) (400mhz DVD) (850mhz 3D)

F6 or F5 I can't remember right now I was up till 3:00am trying to get the card to not blue stripe or driver recover every 5 seconds for me after windows loaded.
    Last edited by demonkevy666; 05-24-2010 at 02:51 PM.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"