Thread: Intel's X25-V & Kingston's 30GB SSDNow V Series: Battle of the $125 SSDs

Xtreme Monster

Intel's X25-V & Kingston's 30GB SSDNow V Series: Battle of the $125 SSDs

Quote Originally Posted by Anand Lal Shimpi
    The story goes like this: Intel let Kingston build a value version of its X25-M G2 drives. This became the 40GB Kingston V Series Boot Drive. When Intel added TRIM support to the G2 drives, Kingston was told to wait. Kingston would get TRIM support when Intel launched its own 40GB version of the G2. Here’s where things get hairy. Intel and Kingston couldn’t work out terms for the TRIM enabled firmware on the V Series Boot Drives. Intel wanted too much money and Kingston wanted to keep the drive price below $100. The outcome? Kingston V Series Boot Drive owners never got official TRIM support and the product was dropped altogether.

This all took place a few months ago. Two things have happened since then. Intel has, as expected, launched its value SSD: the X25-V. This is basically the Kingston drive we reviewed last year, but with official TRIM support. In other words, it’s a X25-M G2 but with only half the channels populated with IMFT NAND. The X25-V is available only in a 40GB capacity (we’ll see an 80GB version based on 25nm NAND in Q4 2010). The drive is priced at $125 and available today. On a side note, Intel’s pricing shows that there wasn’t any room for Kingston to deliver a sub-$100 version of the X25-V.
    More here: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3773

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
    Reading that link I see that the RST (trim enabled) 9.6 drivers will be out soon

Xtreme Monster
    Yes. That is indeed a great news. We might see some improvement on that. I will be doing some tests.

Edit: Also another great news.

Quote Originally Posted by Anand Lai Shimpi
    Intel is quick to point out that pairing up two X25-Vs can give you more performance than a single 80GB X25-M for around the same price. While I'm still looking at RAID performance, the problem is that today there's no way to pass the TRIM command to drives in a RAID array. You gain better sequential performance and concurrent IOPS, but you have no way to actively curb performance degradation. In my opinion, that's not a worthy tradeoff. Intel did hint that its driver teams are looking at ways to pass TRIM down to RAID arrays however.
    We know its coming, now we just need to know when .
    Last edited by Metroid; 03-19-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Xtreme Member
    This is great news, can't wait for Raid support.
    • Case : Silverstone TJ07 Black
    • Sound : Asus Xonar Essence STX
    • Video : Asus GTX 680 4gb w/ Ek Nickel Block
    • Board : ASUS Maximus V Formula Z77
    • CPU : Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz
    • CPU Cooler : EK-Supreme HF w/Plexi Top
    • Memory : 16GB Samsung 2133mhz 10-9-10-29
    • PSU: Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
    • HDD : Crucial 250gb M4 Raid 0
    • Radiator : Thermochill PA 120.3
    • Reservoir : EK-Multioption Res 250 Rev.2
    • Water Pump : Laing DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top