Page 3 of 123 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fermi Thread - Part 3

Xtreme Member
    Czech Republic, 50°4'52.22"N, 14°23'30.45"E
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    GTX 295 works in sli with 32bit os and so does gtx 285 triple sli. Also last time i checked asus mars Dual GeForce GTX 285 4096 MB worked ok with windows 32bit.

5990 with 2*2gb is no different, each gpu will hold 2gb's not 4gb.
    The memory is hidden from OS or what? If it is not and OS is able see it, it has to cut some RAM as well as some VRAM since the system needs something to run. Usually it cuts the RAM first, but it probably just cannot adress 4GB VRAM and 0 GB RAM because it won't even start.

The x86-32 systems simply adresses up to 4GB and the rest is unavailable and could not be used as long as it is not hidden from the OS somehow. Or at least this is what I saw every time with 256 or 512MB cards. But I personally did not have card with higher amount of memory in hands
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    I think we should start a new "Fermi part <InsertNumberHere>" thread each time it's delayed in this fashion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Heck, I think we should start a whole new forum dedicated to hardware delays.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't believe in those prices posted on BSN, either. If it's true, Fermi performance will suck donkeys balls.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Caparroz View Post
    I don't believe in those prices posted on BSN, either. If it's true, Fermi performance will suck donkeys balls.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If it's priced high it's too expensive,if it's priced low it's under performing,damn you people always find something to criticize
    Proud owner of an iPhone3G 16G White

SpiTweaker by Monteboy,try it

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by screwtech02 View Post
    Somebody forgot to add the 20% gratuitus Newegg markup too.....
    Exactly.

Nvidia and ATI come with prices and then the shops start to up prices for extra profit (demand and supply) and people go and blame ATI/Nvidia when they should instead blame the stores.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Exactly.

Nvidia and ATI come with prices and then the shops start to up prices for extra profit (demand and supply) and people go and blame ATI/Nvidia when they should instead blame the stores.
    well after two days they will all be OOS everywhere but ebay

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bill_d View Post
    well after two days they will all be OOS everywhere but ebay
    That slow? I really don't think the initial release will last one day.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Caparroz View Post
    lolwut? no such thing as competative pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by Humminn55 View Post
    That slow? I really don't think the initial release will last one day.
    they might stay in stock for two hours... remember how fast the 5870 sold out?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    I am going to guess $500 for the GTX470 and $625 for the GTX480 all in US prices. I am thinking they will sell it at this because there will be features they will advertise really hard to justify the extra cost.

Based on the leaked benchmarks that pricing would be way overpriced.

I am thinking of buying a 480 only if before taxes pricing is $500 at most.
    New System:
    Intel i7 920 @ 3.2 ghz (rendering)*Asus P6T* 6g Corsair Dominator TR3X1600*Asus Radeon 5870* Corsair 850W
    Unicomp Model M USB keyboard

Old System: Son's System
    Intel qx6700 @3.2 ghz * Asus Commando * 3ghz Corsair Dominator * EVGA 8800 GTX * Antec 750W PSU * Antec P180 case
    IBM Model M Clicky

*cooling solution by Petra's Tech

notebook: Asus G50

Xtreme Addict
    Bah never underestimate the greed of resellers. I betcha I am pretty damn close.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by DMH View Post
    If it's priced high it's too expensive,if it's priced low it's under performing,damn you people always find something to criticize
    Actually they are only going on how they've priced their products in the past.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yet another price rumor from a not exactly reliable site... does this warrant yet another fermi thread?
    i think not :P

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DMH View Post
    I'm not complaining about anything but just making an analysis based on "facts" (i know it's just a bunch of rumours, some quite credible and other plain speculation but I said facts just for arguments sake).

-Nvidia isn't known to launch their nex-gen flagships as the "best bang for the buck" cards. Quite the contrary.

That been said:

-If the 470 trounces the 5850 and sometimes beats the 5870, why launch it at basically the same price (or even cheaper!) than the 5850? It doesn't make any sense.

-If the 470 sometimes beats a 5870, the 480 should blow it out of the water. So why price it just above the 5870? Again, it doesn't make sense.

-It's known that Fermi is a HUGE very costly chip to make and if the numerous rumours are right the yelds are not so good to say the least. If Fermi has the performance advantage over Cypress, why would Nvidia sell those huge costly chips at basically the same price as it's rivals?

-Considering the above as true, the logical conclusion is that 470's and 480's performance "suck donkeys balls".

Mind you I said "IF it's true." I don't have the slightest idea if it is or if it is not.

But I'm inclined to say that those prices are wrong. I hope Fermi is a hell of a performer. Competition is the best thing on any industry.
    Last edited by Caparroz; 03-15-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Aint No Real Gangster
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    The memory is hidden from OS or what? If it is not and OS is able see it, it has to cut some RAM as well as some VRAM since the system needs something to run. Usually it cuts the RAM first, but it probably just cannot adress 4GB VRAM and 0 GB RAM because it won't even start.

The x86-32 systems simply adresses up to 4GB and the rest is unavailable and could not be used as long as it is not hidden from the OS somehow. Or at least this is what I saw every time with 256 or 512MB cards. But I personally did not have card with higher amount of memory in hands
    I dont think that is how it works at all.

I dont think vram is included in system mem. otherwise workstation cards would have encountered this problem long ago.
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post

I dont think the OS counts the VRAM that way. If you use some of the main ram for a igp say a 3200 it is not seen by the OS the same way hence the RAM size shrinks.

EG If you have 4GB ram and you assign 1GB to your igp the OS does not see that 1GB in the same way as it will see the other 3GB's...

For CF's/SLi if the OS kills ram in any of the system it will be a huge penalty because both basically copy each others vram and will be in a pickle if either vram or main ram is decreased in size..
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    Hard decisions hard decisions, to keep my Crossfire HD 5870 or to go SLI with GTX 4xx hmmmmmm

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by WeStSiDePLaYa View Post
    I dont think that is how it works at all.

I dont think vram is included in system mem. otherwise workstation cards would have encountered this problem long ago.
    Don't think about it then, look it up. 32bit OSes can address 4gigs total. All ram in the computer is included in that.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ View Post
    Don't think about it then, look it up. 32bit OSes can address 4gigs total. All ram in the computer is included in that.
    Incorrect.

You can address much much more than 4GB with 32bit OS's, but each program can utilize no more than 3GB (at least not easily).

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    I dont think the OS counts the VRAM that way. If you use some of the main ram for a igp say a 3200 it is not seen by the OS the same way hence the RAM size shrinks.
    Last time I checked a std 32bit os had 4gb total shared address space for all AIC's including video cards.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helloworld_98 View Post
    edit: BSN is a load of rubbish, nvidia stated GTX 480 = 225w (turns out to be 275w according to SA), also 480 cores, why? you're chopping off 32 cores for no reason.
    Nvidia never said the GTX280 would use 225W. And Charlie didn't say the 480 would be 275W, but the 470. As usual, with no referable sources. iirc, didn't charlie first say the 480 was castrated to 448sps and then later admit it would be 512? of course, both of those are wrong now

I'm quite sure the retailers which posted a few weeks ago have a better price idea than BSN.
    Tell me you are not referring to SabrePC?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ View Post

^^^ This man is correct.

Before I switched over to a 64-bit OS, I was running 4gb ram with 2x 8800gts 640mb cards and Windows would only show 2.75gb of system memory.

This is due to the limitations ALL 32-bit operating systems have in that they max out at 4gb address space. And because physical address space is used to address more than just RAM, it also has to address ALL of the memory contained on system devices such as graphics cards, network adapters, audio cards, system ROM, etc. In addition, many devices have have their registers addressed, further reducing how much ram a 32 bit OS can utilize.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

gtx480 is gonna be 5-15% faster in games than 5870, average is 8%, in usual (not 2560x) resolutions

just my 2 cents.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Yea if you do a direct conversion but did you also compare the other card's prices listed in the same thread? Seems like in Malaysia it's around 22% expensier than in US.

With 22% price difference taken into account that would translate to a more reasonable $370 and $477.
    Nope, Malaysian prices follows US prices closely. I live there after all

He said he got the prices from the distro themselves too.

In fact, Malaysian prices are usually a bit cheaper. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d+5850&x=0&y=0 I can get Radeon HD 5850 for <US$300 here.

We're very close to Taiwan, no?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by netkas View Post
    gtx480 is gonna be 5-15% faster in games than 5870, average is 8%, in usual (not 2560x) resolutions

just my 2 cents.
    Thats correct, in 2560x1600 + AA it is many more! Thats low prices are correct, i told that last week.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    ^^^ This man is correct.

Before I switched over to a 64-bit OS, I was running 4gb ram with 2x 8800gts 640mb cards and Windows would only show 2.75gb of system memory.

This is due to the limitations ALL 32-bit operating systems have in that they max out at 4gb address space. And because physical address space is used to address more than just RAM, it also has to address ALL of the memory contained on system devices such as graphics cards, network adapters, audio cards, system ROM, etc. In addition, many devices have have their registers addressed, further reducing how much ram a 32 bit OS can utilize.

sure and win server 08 datacenter 32bit edition is something different ???? 32bit can adress a total of more then 4gb.... but like somebody told it cant adress more then 3gb for a single program....

Page 3 of 123 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast