Page 117 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1767107114115116117118119120 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 3051

Thread: The Fermi Thread - Part 3

Xtreme Addict

CPU: Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 Case: Corsair 700D w/ 800D window
    CPU Cooler:
    Corsair H70 w/ 2 GTs AP-15 GPU: 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI
    RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws PSU: Corsair AX850W Sound card: Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9
    HDD:
    Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Display: 3x30" Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC
    Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Headphone: Sennheiser HD650

Xtreme Mentor
    Well the GTX 470 does not seem bad but only when you OC it and when you OC a GTX 470 it will eat much more. Now if you think about the 25% or so OC needed to reach GTX 480 performance level and the amount of PSU power needed it might not be a bad idea given you have a strong enough PSU.

Alternatively if you think your PSU cant handle a OCed GTX 470 just get a 5870 its as simple as that, as far as temps go i have a open case since 6 years and dont plan on changing it.
    Coming Soon

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    correction, id go for a 3d display as soon as theres one that can do 200hz... 100hz per eye is enough...
    i just came back from the cinema seeing the dreamworks 3d dragon movie and... wow... as soon as the camera moved, even at a slow pace, the whole scene began to flicker and everything blurred.
    some scenes made my eyes water, and not cause they were emotionally touching lol
    Haha I am going to watch this movie in an hour and now I will only look for flickers and blurred scenes

as for the ones here pointing at 3D as an nvidia exklusive feature - well I saw it on Cebit and just found it not really great. it's one of thoose things the PR and management get's wet about while the fanboys follow them blinded and the rest of the world just feels like beeing put into the desert by marketing when they figure how rarely it is supported / implemented currently and which technical issues there are still to be solved.
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '08 7.438s 1m LN2 | AMD 1m WR LN2 | 2nd AOCM | Phenom II teasing
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

| '05 3500+[NC], 3000+[W], 2x 3200+[W], 3500+[NC], 3200+[V] 0516GPDW

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    sof pulled a fermi on all of us !!!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSel10 View Post
    Don't forget AvP, and there are probably others that slip my mind.
    uh... avp... you think people will buy new hw to play avp? idk...

Quote Originally Posted by ElSel10 View Post
    the trailers of Metro look amazing and I will be getting it as soon as I get my 480 so I can experience it with full DX11 graphics and PhysX.
    you sound exactly like that nvidia pr guy on twitter

idk, what ive seen from metro so far looks nice, but i really dont get what the game does with all the hw performance... cause it really doesnt look 20fps @ 1680x1050 in dx11 with max details good

Quote Originally Posted by blindbox View Post
    Sorry for the OT. Saaya, that's from AVIRA Free-AV 10, isn't it? Your avatar, I mean. I had a good laugh at that as well
    yeah, wtf right?

Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Alternatively if you think your PSU cant handle a OCed GTX 470 just get a 5870 its as simple as that, as far as temps go i have a open case since 6 years and dont plan on changing it.
    why 5870? a 5850 is 25% cheaper and whatever a 5870 can do, a 470 can too

Quote Originally Posted by SoF View Post
    Haha I am going to watch this movie in an hour and now I will only look for flickers and blurred scenes
    dont worry, you dont have to look for them, there is no way to NOT see them... please check though if they use active shutter glasses as well now in germany, that would be interesting. the glasses here have a infra red style transparent red plastic thing right between your eyes. well, i guess they are acrive shutter glasses cause they are heavier (batteries inside) and have this infra red thing input diode.

if your glasses are passive, please lmk if it flickered a lot as well or not... maybe its the glasses that were causing me a headache there... litereally

Xtreme Addict
    metro sucks, but Just Cause 2 wins massively. I just love that game and I would love the water animation if I had a Nvidia card. Even without it the game looks fantastic and runs (mostly) smoothly despite the incredible draw distance.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by iTravis View Post
    Thanks for good laugh!
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Addict

Ferminator 2: Grilling Day

Ferminator 3: Rise of the Degrees
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Hey METRO 2033 is not that bad. The weapons look a little pointy and boxy but the game itself is somewhat interesting and the graphics is not bad. Watch some in-game videos on youtube, there are some really beautiful scenes...
    i9 9900K/1080 Ti

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post
    See, I just don't understand this. How is 470 or 480 a better purchase against a 5850, 5870 or 5970?
    i think i would rather have a gtx 470 than either a 5870 or 5850.

When you look at things such as minimum frame rates and tessellation performance, it makes me think that you would be better off with it for future games.

now was it worth waiting 6 months for, no, but now that it's here, it's certainly a valid option.
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grimREEFER View Post

When you look at things such as minimum frame rates and tessellation performance, it makes me think that you would be better off with it for future games.

now was it worth waiting 6 months for, no, but now that it's here, it's certainly a valid option.
    +1. Exactly my reasoning.
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Banned
    @iTravis.... nice link... lol'd...

Xtreme Mentor

I preordered a GTX 470 for the minimum framerates and amazing performance @ 1920X1200 w/ AA + AF among other reasons. Firstly, I fold, and we've all see the Folding@home performance. Secondly, Fermi looks prepared to really shine with future DX11 titles (tessellation, as you say). The best part, though, is that Fermi is brand new, so we'll see some nice performance gains from future driver releases. Those types of gains are long gone for Cypress. Unless, of course, ATI decides to intentionally butcher IQ settings for better benchmarks.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hahaha hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by annihilat0r View Post
    metro sucks, but Just Cause 2 wins massively. I just love that game and I would love the water animation if I had a Nvidia card. Even without it the game looks fantastic and runs (mostly) smoothly despite the incredible draw distance.
    really? idk... it seems way too cartoony for my taste... the way you can jump and fly around... its way beyond maximum strength in crysis ^^
    i found it too much of a 90s style hit n run + gta like game...

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDiv View Post
    Hey METRO 2033 is not that bad. The weapons look a little pointy and boxy but the game itself is somewhat interesting and the graphics is not bad. Watch some in-game videos on youtube, there are some really beautiful scenes...
    yeah not bad for sure... but its not pretty enough for the hw perf it needs imo... and the gameplay doesnt seem all that fun from what ive seen... is there a demo?

id rather say, neither one of them is going to be very good in future games that really use dx11 and hence use tesselation

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,74.../Test/?page=13
    even on a gtx480 metro 2033 is BARELY playable at 1680x1050 with max details... 26fps average and 22 minimum
    and thats a 2010 game... buying a gtx470 because its going to be future proof in dx11 games is nonsense imo...
    Last edited by saaya; 04-05-2010 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoF View Post

as for the ones here pointing at 3D as an nvidia exklusive feature - well I saw it on Cebit and just found it not really great. it's one of thoose things the PR and management get's wet about while the fanboys follow them blinded and the rest of the world just feels like beeing put into the desert by marketing when they figure how rarely it is supported / implemented currently and which technical issues there are still to be solved.

Well love it or hate it, here are a few facts :

1/ Though not perfect by any means, 3D Vision was acclaimed almost everytime it got reviewed.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/nvidia...vision-review/
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/889/1/
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=656
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ereo,2121.html
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...dia_3d_vision/
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...on/default.asp

2/ 3D Vision has been available for more than a year. There is more and more compatible hardware (24 inch screens and all the 3D TVs coming this spring/summer), and the list of games supported is nowhere as bad as you make it sound (i would definitely have agreed if you were talking about PhysX though) :

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_3D_Games.html

3/ ATI has just implemented the technical possibility of 3D stereoscopic gaming into Catalyst 10.3, but real world benchmarks remain to be seen.

Perhaps i am missing something here, so if there is a possibility to play in S3D with my CrossFired HD 5770's, tips are welcome. 3D Vision is one of the two reasons why i am switching to GTX 470.

Xtreme Mentor
    A 5770 CF is more powerful than a single GTX 470 and you will get higher FPS in game which support CF. As for the 3D question the Nvidia 3D Vision is more of a certificate that the game will work with the nvidia hardware in question.

ATi's approach on the other hand is a two sided one, you must understand Nvidia uses a active system for 3D display something that is both expensive and also produces good results. ATi's has its fingers in both pots active as well as passive, you can expect DDD's Stereoscopic approach to be close/above to Nvidia's system and iZ3D on the other hand is more passive and would offer less quality than either Nvidia 3D or DDD's Stereoscopic approach.

EDIT: Forgot to include a link

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?opti...iews&Itemid=76

This is a good review of all the 3 systems but do not take it to seriouslly since this is of 2009 and there are bound to be improvements in both systems after 10.3.
    Last edited by ajaidev; 04-05-2010 at 08:45 AM.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    Always no test with gtx470 in SLI ? Incredible !

So the results are so good that they want us to buy only gtx480 ?

Xtreme Addict
    *snip*
    Stereoscopy is the illusion of depth, not the method

so N3D vision and DDD is shutter glasses = active

and IZ3D is polarized = passive
    i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.25v
    GTX 470 @ 859MHz 1062mv

Xtreme Addict
    iZ3D does support shutter glasses and 120Hz displays with the new driver.

So game support for ATI is extended to the whole iZ3D list, while you can use 120Hz LCDs with Mini-DIN and shutter glasses.

Only problem is that it's quite confusing for initial setup, and 3D ready LCDs still suck at large.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Helloworld_98 View Post
    Stereoscopy is the illusion of depth, not the method

so N3D vision and DDD is shutter glasses = active

and IZ3D is polarized = passive
    I know that's why i said DDD and N3D is on similar performance plane..

Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    iZ3D does support shutter glasses and 120Hz displays with the new driver.

So game support for ATI is extended to the whole iZ3D list, while you can use 120Hz LCDs with Mini-DIN and shutter glasses.

Only problem is that it's quite confusing for initial setup, and 3D ready LCDs still suck at large.
    Did not know that thanks, very interesting where its heading so fast
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    A 5770 CF is more powerful than a single GTX 470 and you will get higher FPS in game which support CF. As for the 3D question the Nvidia 3D Vision is more of a certificate that the game will work with the nvidia hardware in question.

ATi's approach on the other hand is a two sided one, you must understand Nvidia uses a active system for 3D display something that is both expensive and also produces good results. ATi's has its fingers in both pots active as well as passive, you can expect DDD's Stereoscopic approach to be close/above to Nvidia's system and iZ3D on the other hand is more passive and would offer less quality than either Nvidia 3D or DDD's Stereoscopic approach.

EDIT: Forgot to include a link

This is a good review of all the 3 systems but do not take it to seriouslly since this is of 2009 and there are bound to be improvements in both systems after 10.3.
    From how you post, you make it sound like ATI has something to do with these competitors, but when I look at the website. They both just look like companies trying to sell 3d product regardless of the videocard you have.

ATI has nothing to do with these guys as all these 3d test were done on gtx 285s.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    From how you post, you make it sound like ATI has something to do with these competitors, but when I look at the website. They both just look like companies trying to sell 3d product regardless of the videocard you have.

ATI has nothing to do with these guys as all these 3d test were done on gtx 285s.
    That review was a demonstration of the tech evolved, these both companies are middleware for ATi and as such are very important. ATi has to support these guys if they expect anything from them, its like saying bullet and ATi are not connected at all.

I also wrote that the review was of 2009 and that enhancements would have been made on both platforms "DDD & iZ3D" on ATi...
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    That review was a demonstration of the tech evolved, these both companies are middleware for ATi and as such are very important. ATi has to support these guys if they expect anything from them, its like saying bullet and ATi are not connected at all.

I also wrote that the review was of 2009 and that enhancements would have been made on both platforms "DDD & iZ3D" on ATi...

The newest games are still using gtx 285.

http://www.ddd.com/about/about_history.html

They say nothing about an ATI partnership. This is more along the lines of AMD has no 3d solution so they are going to attach themselves freely to anything that out there because they are too lazy to develope a 3d technology themselves. These company have been around alot longer than that slide

There is nothing on either website to indicate they are being supported by AMD in anyway or partnered. The likelihood that 3d works comparably well on both AMD and NV hardware on comparable hardware shows that this has as much input and support from AMD and NV.

This is more of a software company trying to sell software. They are not really being supported by the hardware companies themselves.

The 3D vision initiative is alot different, they are actually putting money and driver support for NV cards. Additionally, they are leveraging themselves to get their games optimized for 3d vision.

From your reasoning, NV is both supporting a Closed support and Open support since DDD and iz3d both work on their cards along with NV 3d vision.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Look at the thermi:

IDLE

LOAD

480 SLI
    IDLE

LOAD

HD5870
    IDLE

LOAD

HD5870 CF
    IDLE

LOAD

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/787-...x-480-470.html
    Last edited by Nintendork; 04-05-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz @1.1125v | Foxconn A7DA-S (790GX) | 2x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
    | Gigabyte HD4770 | Seagate 7200.12 3x1TB | Samsung F4 HD204UI 2x2TB | LG H10N | OCZ StealthXStream 500w| Coolermaster Hyper 212+ | Compaq MV740 17"

Stock HSF: 18°C idle / 37°C load (15°C ambient)
    Hyper 212+: 16°C idle / 29°C load (15°C ambient)

Why AMD Radeon rumors/leaks "are not always accurate"
    Reality check

Xtreme Member
    Why is SLI idle so much higher?
    ASUS Striker II Extreme 790i Bios 1202 PICS
    Q9650@4.05 (FSB 450hz X4) Linked & synced.
    Patriot Viper PC2000Mhz DDR3 4x2GB 8-8-8-22-1822
    EVGA GTX470 X2 SLI
    OS RAID 0 2X Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville
    Games RAID 0 500GB X2 ES 7200 32MB Enterprise
    Silverstone TJ10 ESA
    Swiftech MCR220 & MCR120 rads
    D-TEK Fusion v2
    Black Freezer NB/SB
    EK's Acetal on Mosfets
    1/2 R3603 Tygon Tubing
    Corsair HX1000w
    SoundBlaster X-FI TITANIUM - PCIE
    Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1
    Dell 3008WFP 30' @ 2560x1600
    Win7 x64 Pro

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger5521 View Post
    Why is SLI idle so much higher?
    Having an extra card generates more heat, plus the airflow is typically reduced for the secondary card because of the fan's proximity to the primary...
    Intel Core i7 6900K
    Noctua NH-D15
    Asus X99A II
    32 GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3400 CL15 CR1
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5
    Sennheiser HD-598
    Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Western Digital Raptor 600GB
    Asus 12x Blu-Ray Burner
    Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner with NEC chipset
    Antec HCP-1200w Power Supply