Thread: Quick Idea...

Xtreme 3D Team

Quick Idea...

Would mounting a 60w peltier (coldplate side) on the upper base of my air cooler improve temps? I use a Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer.

I was thinking about going to water cooling this summer but this idea sounds like more fun.

I'm getting temps of 50-55c load now depending on what I'm testing, is it possible that I could reduce my temps about...I dunno 5c? It sounds like fun to be honest.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 03-14-2010 at 03:54 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Mentor
    So you want to cool the heatsink with a TEC?

Xtreme 3D Team
    The base of it, yes.

I've only got a 700w PSU here and some demanding parts but I've got an open 12v rail with about 9-10 free amps.
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Would mounting a 60w peltier (coldplate side) on the upper base of my air cooler improve temps? I use a Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer.

I was thinking about going to water cooling this summer but this idea sounds like more fun.

I'm getting temps of 50-55c load now depending on what I'm testing, is it possible that I could reduce my temps about...I dunno 5c? It sounds like fun to be honest.
    Depends on 3 things....

1.) How you intend to cool the hotside...air cooling will do.

2.) Do you have a flat area on the top of the base as big as or bigger than the TEC...presumably a 40mm unit. Don't forget you may also need room to fit a small heatsink and a small fan.

3.) If you cool the the middle of the heatpipes too much the coolant inside the heatpipes will not work correctly. The idea behind heatpipes is that the coolant inside, often water, is pressurized so it boils at a lower temp than normal then rises up each of the tubes at the side as hot vapour which is cooled by the fans then the coolant condenses and returns to continue the cycle. If you cool the the middle of the heatpipes below the point it is set to boil the coolant obviously wont boil and will not vapourize and the heatpipes become redundant. Bear in mind even a 60w TEC run at 12v (it will be a 15.4v unit) with a low load (which it will be by defininition of it's location - on top of block.) can approach or go below zeroșC. Wattage is not the important factor - it's temperature. (Sound familiar ??? and yes despite the view of a few I do know how heatpipes work.)
    Last edited by zipdogso; 03-14-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I think I managed to understand this config but how would you cool the hotside?

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by =[PULSAR]= View Post
    I think I managed to understand this config but how would you cool the hotside?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835708006

Just a thought, it's a low power peltier.

EDIT:

This is actually what I was loooking at:
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/24...d_Peltier.html

And heres the cooler I'm going to work around:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...ler%20W%2fTX-2
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 03-14-2010 at 05:26 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Mentor
    Trying to do the calculations to see if its efficient. I'm guessing this is for your 965BE. Is it the 140W or 125W version? and what is its VID?

Xtreme Addict
    You'll need to cool the hot side with something that can easily handle 80w of heatload.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Mentor
    base of CCF is too small for that it's 38mm x 45mm you need to cover all of the tec. I think the nb/sb heat sink is only good for about 20-30 watts I think.

http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2271&page=2

A tec at full power or close to it, under an air cooler won't give you much anyways ways. water cooling the tec is much better.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    Actually you'll need a heat sink that could easily handle about 150w of heat. If I were you and doing this I'd under-volt it to about 5-6v and work from there you'll move a lot less heat but it'll also move a lot more heat compared to the amount of heat it produces (ie it's more efficient at moving heat at lower voltages). Otherwise you'll never find something that can deal with that kind of heat.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835708006

Just a thought, it's a low power peltier.
    I am not sure that heatsink is sufficient for the heat - it is an nb/sb heatsink. Even undervolted I think the TEC will be too hot for this.

EDIT:

This is actually what I was loooking at:
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/24...d_Peltier.html

And heres the cooler I'm going to work around:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...ler%20W%2fTX-2
    Having looked at this properly I think you should forget the idea, for the following reasons

1.) there is no room between the fins and the top of the base for a heatsink and a fan or even some form of water cooling.

2.) Apparently the base isn't big enough -
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    base of CCF is too small for that it's 38mm x 45mm you need to cover all of the tec.
    the TEC is 40mm square and needs to be completely covered on both sides.
    as Demonkevy666 said.

3.) As Flakspammer said I think you would have to try running it at either 5v or 7v considering your going to use a PC PSU - and you wont have the voltage adjustment necessary to make this a good project. 12v, I think, will be too cold for your heatpipes and your whole HSF arrangement will go belly up.
    Last edited by zipdogso; 03-15-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Xtreme 3D Team
    http://www.opentip.com/Electronics-C...p-1263269.html

???

Thats a 30mm x 30mm peltier. At 3A/ 25w I could cool it with that little NB heatsink, correct?
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    That's a 25w Qmax TEC not 25w in heat dump. It's almost 50w of heat to dissipate before any load. Plus that's at 15.4v, not 12v so expect a little lower maybe 20w and 40w of heat dump.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by flak-spammer View Post
    That's a 25w Qmax TEC not 25w in heat dump. It's almost 50w of heat to dissipate at max. load. Plus that's at 15.4v, not 12v so expect a little lower maybe 20w and 40w of heat dump.

Xtreme Member
    ??? 15.4v * 3A is 46.2w of heat on the hot side. Therefore at 15.4v it's almost 50w of heat that must be dissipated at zero load. At 12v it's a little less.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by flak-spammer View Post
    ??? 15.4v * 3A is 46.2w of heat on the hot side. Therefore at 15.4v it's almost 50w of heat that must be dissipated at zero load. At 12v it's a little less.
    Nope.... 15.4v is the max input....3A is the max input
    15.4v * 3A = 46.2w is just the input power.

The heat coming off the hotside is output power.

From charts the heat dissipated from the hotside ( output power.) is roughly twice the cooling (Q) at the operatiing point. For a maximum figure use 2.5 times.

So when at 12v the Q is roughly 20w and the heat dissipated from the hotside is roughly twice = 40w. However if your load was less than this and obviously in this instance it isnt....say the actual load on the coldside was only 15w the heat dissipated from the hotside would be 30w, roughly.

Twice the (Q) is the heat transferred from the object plus the heat generated internally by the TEC.
    This is just a rough calculation good enough for a ballpark figure to determine the heat coming off the hotside. The acual figure on charts varies slightly up and down depending on the Dt and the Qmax but twice the Q is a good ballpark figure.
    Last edited by zipdogso; 03-25-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Hmm...hmm hmm hmm...

and all that means?
    Smile