Thread: Do water cooled memory blocks really work?

Xtreme Member

Do water cooled memory blocks really work?

I am thinking about getting a MIPS RAM Freezer like this

And like to hear from anyone that has used a memory water block. Are they really effective? I am using a OZ ram cooler right now. And from the looks of the MIPS ram freezer it doesn't seem like it could do it. With a Fan cooler you have air moving thru the ram but with the water cooler water only moves in the block that sits on top of the ram. Hope to hear from you guys on this matter.
    Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 gig cards in SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 2 x 1 TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W l Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64 bit l 2 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors

Xtreme Member
    I don't think there's ever been a controlled test comparing the MIPS block to any of the RAM air coolers and measuring their effectiveness, unless someone has done their own personal thing..

Part of me thinks more of the usefulness of the MIPS block is to be consistent in going all the way with water cooling in the setup or for purposes of removing any noise that might be generated by the RAM air coolers. Don't know yet about the newer 60mm-based RAM coolers, but the older 40mm-based Corsair air cooler was pretty loud, especially at full bore.

Xtreme Member
    I know I read on here somewhere that it may help with temps, but does not help with over clocking.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketzer7 View Post
    Don't know yet about the newer 60mm-based RAM coolers, but the older 40mm-based Corsair air cooler was pretty loud, especially at full bore.
    I have the 60mm one, and it's loud as hell unless turned down almost all the way (mine's running on 4.5V now) and even then, they are far from quiet.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbrushkid View Post
    I am thinking about getting a MIPS RAM Freezer like this

And like to hear from anyone that has used a memory water block. Are they really effective? I am using a OZ ram cooler right now. And from the looks of the MIPS ram freezer it doesn't seem like it could do it. With a Fan cooler you have air moving thru the ram but with the water cooler water only moves in the block that sits on top of the ram. Hope to hear from you guys on this matter.
    it helps ... but depends on your RAM heat output ...

some benchmarks revealed the heat output is as high as >50°C, but some heat output is low as 27°C

well since lower temps gives better o/c bandwidth especially on ddr3 (assumed), but the only troubling is whether is worth cooling it (+max squeezing extra bandwidth) or getting another RAM stick
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/M...Freezer/4.html

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gmat View Post
    I have the 60mm one, and it's loud as hell unless turned down almost all the way (mine's running on 4.5V now) and even then, they are far from quiet.
    That's why I use one of the Antec Spot Coolers on low. Nice and silent.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    it helps ... but depends on your RAM heat output ...

some benchmarks revealed the heat output is as high as >50°C, but some heat output is low as 27°C

well since lower temps gives better o/c bandwidth especially on ddr3 (assumed), but the only troubling is whether is worth cooling it (+max squeezing extra bandwidth) or getting another RAM stick
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/M...Freezer/4.html

1. I don't think you can make the lower temps=more bandwidth assumption at all without any proof.

2. Those high temps were on DDR2 memory at 2.1V, not at the 1.6V DDR3 is typically run at. Even the DDR3 they tested, run at 1.7V, was only heating to low-to-mid 30'sC. It took 1.8V or greater to approach 40C, and that was without any sort active cooling.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Humminn55 View Post
    1. I don't think you can make the lower temps=more bandwidth assumption at all without any proof.
    The maximum stable clock speed of an IC is a function of heat, voltage, and overclocking capability. Heat is also a function of voltage, but also of rate of heat dissipation. As heat decreases, the voltage required also decreases, but as heat decreases, the voltage required also decreases. It follows that lowering heat decreases the voltage required. Therefore, decreasing heat will increase the overclockability of a part, assuming sufficient headroom exists within the physical limitation of the part.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathWalking View Post
    ... As heat decreases, the voltage required also decreases, but as heat decreases, the voltage required also decreases...
    lol. i think that may not be exactly what you ment to say... your just repeating yourself lol. well, im pretty sure this is supposed to be:

As heat increases, the voltage required also increases, but as heat decreases, the voltage required also decreases

i think...

Xtreme Member
    you don't have to think too much. just use it as decorating your wc rig.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula Graphics: Asus GTX 670 DCII TOP RAM: CORSAIR PLATINUM 16GB DDR3 1866
    Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Cooling: Corsair H100i OS: Window 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 Monitor: Samsung S27B970D PLS LED
    Keyboard: Logitech MK700 Combo Power: Corsair Gold AX750W 80 Plus Case: NZXT 410 ELITE Speaker: Logitech X530

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    "Do water cooled memory blocks really work"?

Well that depends entirely on what you mean by work. Do they allow the passage through of coolant to cool your RAM? Yes. Do they assist in obtaining a higher OC? No. Do they look cool? Yes.

/thread
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Mentor
    It probably will not allow for more overclocking headroom, however most use it to eliminate fan noise and for looks.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Member
    From looking at all the pictures I have found the memory water block thing doesn't cool the memory. It cools the top of the right angle piece of metal. It doesn't make it down to the chips.
    Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 gig cards in SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 2 x 1 TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W l Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64 bit l 2 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors

Xtreme Addict
    Unless you have very little airflow and a very high oc on the ram it simply won't run hot enough to justify any extra cooling, but if you ever held a mips block in your hand you will still wan't to cover every chip you can find with a mips block.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Its purely aesthetic.

I am Xtreme
    Well, judging by the warmth i can feel when i touch the top fins on my Dominator GT modules, i think replacing those fins with a waterblock will help to dissipate this warmth.

This is more due to the nature of the heatspreader of the Dominators, for other modules the contact with the chips isn't good enough to justify the hassle of mounting a waterblock on top imho.

Also keep in mind you're adding more restriction to the loop. It looks nice though.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme Guru
    For me it's only for bling...
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity