Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Havok tells PhysX to kiss off

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
    I don't care about what PhysX is theoretically capable of if its not going to be used.

Havok is good enough for the job needed & does it on the CPU & not just some theoretical job from a demo.
    I haven't seen a single developer make the claims you are making. They seem to come only from people on forums who don't have a clue. Where is your technical information or developer testimonials to back up your claims of Havok > PhysX on the CPU? Are you telling me that all of the developers using PhysX on the CPU are doing so just for kicks? Or let me guess, Nvidia is paying them to use it?

Xtreme Cruncher
    im not really impressed with these demos. when you have a real game the cpu has a lot more tasks and the amount of bodies in these demo was pretty small.

here is what a gpu can do a year ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCaGb40Bz58
    Last edited by Chumbucket843; 03-13-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Banned
    This is a joke? havok physics are based only on scripts, not real physic models and laws. If you will destroy the vase, destruction model is allways the same, falling parts too! But from different angle This is demo from 1996? Yeah from that year is Havok unchanged!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I haven't seen a single developer make the claims you are making. They seem to come only from people on forums who don't have a clue. Where is your technical information or developer testimonials to back up your claims of Havok > PhysX on the CPU? Are you telling me that all of the developers using PhysX on the CPU are doing so just for kicks? Or let me guess, Nvidia is paying them to use it?
    well BC2 can run on a quad core max settings with a good fps whereas PhysX on CPU needs an i7 HT on and even then the fps is barely playable.

will try and find source, although might be hard since it was a few months ago.

edit: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...PhysX_API.html
    Last edited by Helloworld_98; 03-13-2010 at 09:24 AM.
    i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.25v
    GTX 470 @ 859MHz 1062mv

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Helloworld_98 View Post
    well BC2 can run on a quad core max settings with a good fps whereas PhysX on CPU needs an i7 HT on and even then the fps is barely playable.
    Yeah that sorta thing happens when you try to compare two completely different workloads. What PhysX effect are you looking at in particular when making the comparison to BC2? There aren't any dynamic particle or fluid systems in play there and the destruction is scripted.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fussion View Post
    Is Havok open source?
    It is not open source.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post

here is what a gpu can do a year ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCaGb40Bz58
    This demo actually run on core i7 and not on GPU.
    Here is Havok guy speaks about the demo:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/vide...s-at-gdc-2009/
    Last edited by kl0012; 03-13-2010 at 10:15 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
    Except PhysX intentionally is not using multiple cores , thanks goes to Nvidia
    Personally id prefer CPU doing physic's and GPU doing graphics , we have to put all those CPU cores to better use then 10% utilization during games. GPU's have enough stuff to work with.
    Nah, its due designers of games, not nVidia. PhysX has support for multiple cores, just designers dont use it.. (dont ask me why.. no idea).

Im for Bullet and open engines..
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helloworld_98 View Post

will try and find source, although might be hard since it was a few months ago.

edit: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...PhysX_API.html
    PhysX (and Havok) don't need nothing to run. PhysX on CPU in i7 HT is barely playable? I bet not. I'm sure that such hw is perfectly capable to throw playable framerates with for example a single cube over the ground as a scene.

What I mean is: PhysX and Havok are nothing else than libraries with preprogrammed functions to make a real time physics simulation (dynamics of objects, application of forces on them, and so). Yes, they can be more or less optimized and be more or less accurate. But you can't compare the performance of 2 such libraries if they are not trying to simulate the exact same scene (AKA, a benchmark).

Trinibwoy is right on this, I have searched myself for such a performance comparison between PhysX, Havok and Bullet with no luck. I could do some tests myself, but I have better things to do with my time right now.

What I can say (not from personal use of them but others opinions) is that aside GPGPU support, Havok has some much better things that PhysX. For example, the character controller is head and shoulders above, including it's animation system and IK solver. That's one of the spotlights of Havok and there's no competence from any other rt physics library (PhysX included) around. I've heard some people questioning stability of the PhysX collision detection system, also, and primitives and meshes support is not the best. Those problems are not shared by Havok (or Bullet, in this case). From the opinions I've read and heard, I'd say that aside GPGPU support, PhysX is nothing else than decent as a physics library.

And some recent games have been released with no CPU physics multithreading at all, which can have different explanations. PhysX CPU multithreading is unstable or buggy? Is it particularly difficult to use? Is NV promoting to set up their middleware in this way? I don't know, but anyhow is nothing good: those games have a subpar CPU performance because of their physics library, AKA PhysX, or the use that developers make of it in the real world.
    Last edited by Farinorco; 03-13-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NaMcO View Post
    PhysX demos look way more realistic than Havok.
    PhysX demo REQUIRES tri-sli to look like that.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoulz View Post
    Yes, that's why there are videos with only one card runing just fine

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
    Yes, that's why there are videos with only one card runing just fine

Really..?

Video of full blown all-out PhysX simulation with nothing other than a CPU, or one video card..? Where?

Every simulation (ie: Non-game illustration of whats possible with PhysX) has always had $1200 of video cards running the demo. I play Battlefield BC2 and I have never seen a TWIMTBP(<-or whatever) game offer up anything close to BF... nor does it require a specific video card, or series of them.

Please... prove me wrong.

Xtremely Kool
    All that matters to a user is how the games play not how the developer went about making the game.

Results are all that counts & the results thus far from PhysX in games have been a complete joke seeing as a GPU was needed for such results.
    Last edited by Final8ty; 03-13-2010 at 11:20 AM.

No it doesn't.

When PhysX runs on any SLI config, 3-way, quad, or 2-way SLI, it only runs on the top GPU.

Amorphous

NVIDIA Forums Administrator

Xtreme Addict
    Really..?

Video of full blown all-out PhysX simulation with nothing other than a CPU, or one video card..? Where?

Every simulation (ie: Non-game illustration of whats possible with PhysX) has always had $1200 of video cards running the demo. I play Battlefield BC2 and I have never seen a TWIMTBP(<-or whatever) game offer up anything close to BF... nor does it require a specific video card, or series of them.

Please... prove me wrong.
    my 9800gx2 plays batman with full physx and mirrors edge... one older graphics card doing what it's advertised to do. and what's to say this demo want being run on a 980x with 12 gigs of ram? i haven't played BFBC2 and i'm going to buy it for the ps3, but i'm willing to bet the physics won't be as good even though it packs a lot of power. the point i was trying to make in my second post in this thread, is that both of the proprietary systems hurt performance for different segments of the market.

and i just realized that nowhere in the op does intel or havok tell "Physx to kiss off".... wtf is with the thread title?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    yeah, damn those lazy and incompetent game devs... poor nvidia

what do you think is more important? how good a tech demo CAN look and perform or how the actual games people play and BUY perform and look?
    If you can find a game whose physics look better than Batman: AA, Cryostasis or even Mirror's Edge then I'm all ears. I'd consider those actual games, with tearing cloth and fluids and massive amounts of particles that Havok can only dream of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Physx intentionally doesn't though.

It's a marketing vehicle to castrate performance to sell GPU's.

Calculated on the CPU = an actually useful physics api which is open and able to influence gameplay dynamics.
    Oh, except for physx. They NUKE cpu performance by thread restrictions. Physx is not useful.
    Software PhysX does in fact influence gameplay. PC gamers, no matter what hardware you're using, get the base PhysX implementation in games, the same as their console counterparts. No compromises. If developers want to use multithreading with PhysX, they can, and as others have proven in this thread, there are examples of people doing it.

How does it?

The option is greyed out for any system with an ATI card present.
    That's not platform support.

Let me correct your statement:
    In terms of platform support PhysX runs on nvidia systems only because it's an intentionally win/lose based platform when it comes to real world implimentation.
    Buy nvidia, use no ATI or gtfo of our fooooooozEEEXxxx.
    On ATI systems, you're not locked out of playing games with PhysX. There are TONS of games that use PhysX, but no hardware PhysX. Hardware accelerated PhysX has never been made out to be anything more than a graphical effect. The only time you're locked out is when using hardware PhysX, but all that means is you lose a graphical enhancement that's more advanced than any other physics implementation available. It's an enhancement for NVIDIA users, but this is the important part, it does NOT degrade the experience for those without it. You're more than capable of playing Batman: AA on an ATI-based system, and the gameplay will be just as fun. It just won't look as pretty.
    DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B
    Phenom II X4 955 BE (1003GPMW) @ 3.8GHz (19x200) w/1.36v
    -cooling: Scythe Mugen 2 + AC MX-2
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB
    8GB PC2-6400 G.Skill @ 800MHz (1:2) 5-5-5-15 w/1.8v
    Seagate 1TB 7200.11 Barracuda
    Corsair HX620W

Support PC gaming. Don't pirate games.

Xtremely Kool
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybercat View Post
    If you can find a game whose physics look better than Batman: AA, Cryostasis or even Mirror's Edge then I'm all ears. I'd consider those actual games, with tearing cloth and fluids and massive amounts of particles that Havok can only dream of.

Software PhysX does in fact influence gameplay. PC gamers, no matter what hardware you're using, get the base PhysX implementation in games, the same as their console counterparts. No compromises. If developers want to use multithreading with PhysX, they can, and as others have proven in this thread, there are examples of people doing it.

On ATI systems, you're not locked out of playing games with PhysX. There are TONS of games that use PhysX, but no hardware PhysX. Hardware accelerated PhysX has never been made out to be anything more than a graphical effect. The only time you're locked out is when using hardware PhysX, but all that means is you lose a graphical enhancement that's more advanced than any other physics implementation available. It's an enhancement for NVIDIA users, but this is the important part, it does NOT degrade the experience for those without it. You're more than capable of playing Batman: AA on an ATI-based system, and the gameplay will be just as fun. It just won't look as pretty.
    Like the realistic paper that goes right through batmans cape.
    The tiles that break which any precal could look just as good.
    And particles which you have none without PhysX in batman & as if particles have never existed before now.

Criterion black had plenty of breaking glass.

The problem is the pro PhysX people don't seem to grasp is not the fact that you can do more of everything with GPU PhysX, people are upset that the claim that now you cant do anything without it which of course is rubbish its just you cant have as much, but the problem is now your not getting anything unless you use it in a PhysX game on the pc.
    Last edited by Final8ty; 03-13-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorphous View Post
    No it doesn't.

When PhysX runs on any SLI config, 3-way, quad, or 2-way SLI, it only runs on the top GPU.

Amorphous

Lulz..

You don't get it. PhysX needs all that horsepower to actually do anything in game. Did you even play Batman?

What is all the fuss about? PhysX?

People actually bought a game, specifically for loose paper on the floor & Cloth banners? Why does anyone need a special video card for that superficial fluff? I don't see any game by Nvidia that use PHYSICS as a mean of use within their games.

It's all eye candy and for show. Why buy $1200 worth of Nvidia cards, to say you can run a demo?

So stop your BS please.

Xtreme Addict
    The problem is the pro PhysX people don't seem to grasp is not the fact that you can do more of everything with GPU PhysX, people are upset that the claim that now you cant do anything without it which of course is rubbish its just you cant have as much, but the problem is now your not getting anything unless you use it in a PhysX game on the pc.
    I'd say the thing I can't grasp is why NVIDIA is getting all the blame for this.

There's not really a reason why Havok can't code tearing cloth and real fluid simulation. If anything, a GPU should be more limited in what you can code into it than a CPU. There's no reason developers couldn't use massive amounts of particles and rigid bodies in their games regardless of the physics middleware. But they won't. Blame consoles and their crappy processors. Blame developers for not taking advantage of the PC and all the quad-cores running on them when they port their games. But don't blame NVIDIA for giving their customers a little something extra by offering developers their resources in implementing unparalleled PhysX effects that do nothing to harm people who can't use them.

If anything, blame AMD for their unwillingness to do the same.
    DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B
    Corsair HX620W

Xtremely Kool
    I'd say the thing I can't grasp is why NVIDIA is getting all the blame for this.

There's not really a reason why Havok can't code tearing cloth and real fluid simulation. If anything, a GPU should be more limited in what you can code into it than a CPU. There's no reason developers couldn't use massive amounts of particles and rigid bodies in their games regardless of the physics middleware. But they won't. Blame consoles and their crappy processors. Blame developers for not taking advantage of the PC and all the quad-cores running on them when they port their games. But don't blame NVIDIA for giving their customers a little something extra by offering developers their resources in implementing unparalleled PhysX effects that do nothing to harm people who can't use them.

I don't care about no tearing cloth or real fluids.
    I'm talking about effects that have been used in the past without PhysX that are now only being used with PhysX or nothing at all in a GPU PhysX enabled title.

You cant grasp why NV is getting all the blame because your not listening to the reasons of what has been happening & are more interested of what it could offer & not what has been offered.
    if you listened you would see that it being NV is irrelevant because i would not buy a GPU from anyone for physics from what i have seen in games at this point.
    Last edited by Final8ty; 03-13-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Tell that to the people trying to compare GPU PhysX to Havok. Havok has no GPU solution at all so it's a useless comparison.
    sure they do... its probably locked in intels basement somewhere, but they had a working gpgpu physics engine for yeeeeaaars now...
    it didnt work a lot faster on gpus vs cpus though, at least when i worked with it...

and think about it, what makes more sense? using a gpu to calculate a new feature or a cpu? gpus are busy doing graphics in almost every system, while most people have at least one cpu core idling most of the time, if not several...
    then think about memory, physics needs lots of memory, and cpus have 2-4x more memory available than gpus, and tend to have lots of free ram as well while gpus have their mem full of textures and game data...

im surprised nobody ever pointed this out to nvidia when they were talking about how gpus are the limiting factor nowadays and the most important processor and component of a modern pc... i totally agree! but if gpus are the limiting factor, then why do you use the already limiting weak link in your system and make it do even more work, work that can be done at least as well on the cpu?

Banned

You don't seem to grasp it do you..? Unless that tearing of the cloth is usefully in a game, it's superficial to gameplay. Meaning, it's pointless other than a marketing ploy, to sell nvidia brand video cards.

Specially when those effects could've easily been done using PhysX with the CPU. But that would defeat the Marketing behind getting people to buy Nvidia cards, uno? So they tell you you needs PhysX and if you want moar, then buy more of their cards.. lol.

Name one Nvidia game, that has the physics in use, as part of the gameplay, like games using their own proprietary methods. (From even 5 years ago). of Battlefield... that goes back to even BF2 or even 2142.

All Nvidia has is demo's... their games suck ballz.

Xtreme Member
    I can't blame AMD lately, last gen they drove the prices down, and this gen the competition is very late.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't care about no tearing cloth or real fluids.
    I'm talking about effects that have been used in the past without PhysX that are now only being used with PhysX or nothing at all in a GPU PhysX enabled title.

You cant grasp why NV is getting all the blame because your not listening to the reasons of what has been happening & are more interested of what it could offer & not what has been offered.
    if you listened you would see that it being NV is irrelevant because i would not buy a GPU from anyone for physics from what i have seen in games at this point.
    What effects that have been used in the past? You act like there's this whole forgotten era of gaming where we had super advanced physics and then all of a sudden PhysX swooped in and stole it all. I disagree that GPU PhysX has done anything to hurt the overall quality of physics in games.

What reasons am I not listening to? I've seen many arguments in here, almost all of them based on ignorance. PhysX requires NVIDIA: false. PhysX supports less platforms: false. Hardware PhysX isn't any better than any other physics simulation: false. NVIDIA is to blame for underutilizing CPUs: false. PhysX somehow hurts PC gaming: false.

Your argument appears to be that because of hardware PhysX, software physics of any kind hasn't advanced, or has been unable to advance. Would this be a fair assessment?
    DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B
    Corsair HX620W

Xtreme Addict
    All that matters to a user is how the games play not how the developer went about making the game.
    I agree. And all that matters to owners of Nvidia graphics cards is that GPU PhysX is another option they have. Considering that you find the effects underwhelming and/or useless why do they bother you so much? You should be happy you don't have to deal with them.

the problem is now your not getting anything unless you use it in a PhysX game on the pc.
    So you're saying that in the absence of PhysX developers would've chosen to implement those effects on the CPU? That's funny cause I don't see a single non-PhysX game with cloth simulation for example. Unless you can find a developer to say that Nvidia asked them to remove a CPU effect and make it GPU only then you're just grasping at straws.

Unless that tearing of the cloth is usefully in a game, it's superficial to gameplay.
    You've been rambling on in this thread repeating the same thing yet you fail to realize everything a graphics card does is superficial to gameplay. I don't think anybody cares if you don't like tearing cloth, soft shadows, ambient occlusion, AA or any other "superficial" effect that GPUs can perform. It's all subjective and people will turn on whichever effects they like.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast