Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: [Review] Round 2: EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Addict
    From what I know of Vapor, he probably did 5 or so remounts with each plate to make sure he'd get a good average.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeMaan View Post
    I don't think my heatkiller is ready for retirement just yet..
    Forgot.
    Thanks alot for the review Vapor! Awesome work as always!
    Project TJ07 WeeMaan edition in progress...

i7 920 @ 4,4ghz, P6T Deluxe, Corsair Dominator 6Gb, HD5870, OCZ Vertex 60gb + Samsung F1 1tb

Heatkiller copper, EK 5870, Thermochill 120.4, DDC 3.2

Very nice.thanks for testing it

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by astrodanco View Post

I know you don't have time for genuine scientific tests with proper testing protocols.
    If it is posted at Skinnee Labs, it is about as genuine and real-world as it gets
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Mentor
    Awesome. I bought this block when the Apogee XT was still 'the best' as to me the HF looked like the better block. I'd prefer channels over tiny pins anyway for ease of cleaning if required.

Thanks for the review Vapour.
    Last edited by CryptiK; 03-13-2010 at 04:57 AM.

hi,guy just mounted my supreme HF with plate #1 and this wad i get...issit ok..??cant upload bigger pic due to size limitation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	real temp prime95 run.jpg 
Views:	1897 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	101991  

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    With respect Vapor, I dont get similar results. The XT is more restrictive than the EK Sup HF, but even with P1, my Apogee XT is still ahead by about 0.47 deg C on a i7 920 @ 4.2 and 3.5 V (the average of 10 mounts for both on a P6T Deluxe V2). The i7 975 is even more pronounced at 4.4 GHz with the Apogee XT averaging 0.61 deg C lower than the EK Supreme HF. I read your test methodology and it seems fine. Perhaps a review of your data ?

Jay
    What specifically do you want? Water and CPU temps for each of the individual mounts? I can put together a simple table for that

Quote Originally Posted by astrodanco View Post
    Please don't read any "tone" into the following. I'm a very humble guy.

I very much appreciate your sincere effort in doing this test.

I know you don't have time for genuine scientific tests with proper testing protocols. You don't get paid enough for that. Many people here would not understand or appreciate the difference anyway. I won't belabor that point further.

I have one minor complaint about your test:

As you note in your report, you tested the original installed as shipped plate before disassembling and reassembling the block, but tested all the others after disassembling and reassembling the block. I think you should have re-tested the original installed as shipped plate again after testing all the others. I think you needed to do this before drawing any final conclusion in regard to that plate.

BTW, I'm curious to know how you 1) ensured that the torque applied to the assembly screws when reassembling the block was the same each time and 2) that the mount pressure was the same each time? The EK installation instructions don't cover either one of those details (other than to plead with the installer not to tighten the assembly screws too much in order to avoid leaks).

Thanks!
    You're totally correct that completely scientific testing is not viable. It's both a cost and a time reason (which add up to mean it's just not practical).

It was a judgement call to not retest the stock configuration. I prefer to to test virgin blocks--blocks that have never been opened and are straight-from-the-box. I feel the best representation of what to expect from the block is to test it how its delivered. The XT was tested without cracking it open either. In some cases, this is not possible, like when a plate needs to be swapped internally. Frankly, because I did not retest the stock plate, I don't know if the cause of the worst-of-the-plates performance was the plate itself or some other extraneous variable. But again, that loops back to the beginning: I tested the stock configuration and presented it that way.

As for how I know I reassembled the block identically, I don't. I do know my arm/wrist/hand strength and tool strength did not change over the week of testing but that isn't anything empirical. As for mounting consistency, I did measure that with calipers on each mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    From what I know of Vapor, he probably did 5 or so remounts with each plate to make sure he'd get a good average.
    Yup, I did. Per my usual procedure, I did 5 mounts and dropped the best and worst from the final calculations. I haven't put together those tables yet (though I have for every other block I've tested in "Round 2," so I probably should.

This review is a bit of a precursor of what's to come for "Round 3." I'll be heading in two different directions (simultaneously) with data presentation for that set of testing. This is a precursor of one of those directions: the "Simple" direction. It'll be the most distilled way to represent the data of any given test, with as few graphs as possible. The performance of the block will be shown against direct competitors (intended, actual, and previously tested predecessors).

The other direction is "Advanced." All the data in one graph and further analysis of the data--things like best-mount comparisons will be present (rather than just averages), mounting consistency comparisons (via numbers, not via subjective points), etc. Ideally the "Advanced" comparison pages would be the only pages, but for a casual reader, it's overwhelming (and ultimately confusing). This isn't to put anyone down, but number of emails and PMs that skinnee and I have gotten asking to clarify what the results of our charts mean is pretty staggering. Adding even more charts with picayune differences (for a general impression of the performance) will only muddy up the picture even more for them.

This review has already had one such aspect pointed out to me by a member here: my declaration of "it's even more amazing that the Apogee XT has already been beaten on every performance front." This is actually false. My statement was from a point of view where a low-flow scenario is caused by low pumping power in a very basic loop (pump, rad, block). If that's the case, the temperature vs. pumping power graph does say what block is superior (and is the chart I was considering when I wrote that). But if you have a loop were the low-flow is caused by having a lot of stuff in your loop (say a couple GPU blocks, a MOSFET block, a couple restrictive rads, a NB block, and some 90s), the actual restriction of the CPU block is a variable that (effectively) disappears when considering the eventual performance. In that case, the flow vs. temperature graph says which block is superior. In this case, the XT is actually better.

Ultimately, low flow supremacy is a split decision I'll be revising my main review accordingly within the day

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh, dont get me wrong, I dont think you are being dishonest. Just that the unknown spring constants between the two blocks makes it nigh impossible to set up each with equal clamping force. Judging the included springs of the XT and HF against springs of almost the exact same proportions with known spring constants gives a rough range of 100 to 200 Newtons, depending upon compression. In this range, the Apogee XT is ahead on temps.

Perhaps tests in the future should all be done with the same set of standard (and known) screws and springs. Even when that negates the nice proprietary setups of some blocks like the XT.

Another interesting thing to note (which does not pertain to Vapor specifically), is that with each new generation (if you want to call it that), the 'best of the best' seems to supersede the previous best by about ~ 0.6 to 3 deg C on average. Which means in the roughly 7 'generations' of the best, the ole Danger Den and Cathar blocks should be behind the Apogee XT by perhaps 11 to 15 deg C. Interestingly, when I put my 9 year old Danger Den MX block (the one with the little 'fins' to cause turbulence) on the i7 920 at about 170 Newtons, the difference was 4.3 deg C. So something is a bit off with the 'best of the best'. It is much more of an e-peen thing than it is a true increase in heat flow transference.

In that regard, we are on a merry go around of five or so larger manufacturers (Swiftech, EK, Koolance, Heatkiller, Alphacool, etc...) who keep trying to one up each other with their latest waterblock penis. As many of you well know, the ability of ~ 200 to 500 grams of copper to dissipate ~ 150 watts can only go so far.

Also, despite some companies claims to use CFD software, I dont see it. It is copycat work from one cycle to the next. The optimum pinned or slot arrangement for a transitionally turbulent flow (that is a flow of around ~ 2800 to 3200 Reynolds) has not been fully realized. However, such a surface (one where the directional vector of a pinned channels' larger surface is normal (in the mathematical sense) to flow direction) will perhaps only net a further gain of 1.5 C over the 'best of the best' today (at least with the head and flow rates of a standard water cooling pump like the 655 or 355). Something to consider in 10 months when another manufacturer releases their 'best of the best', that bests everyone else by 2 deg C.
    Last edited by jayhall0315; 03-13-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh, dont get me wrong, I dont think you are being dishonest. Just that the unknown spring constants between the two blocks makes it nigh impossible to set up each with equal clamping force. Judging the included springs of the XT and HF against springs of almost the exact same proportions with known spring constants gives a rough range of 100 to 200 Newtons, depending upon compression. In this range, the Apogee XT is ahead on temps.

Perhaps tests in the future should all be done with the same set of standard (and known) screws and springs. Even when that negates the nice proprietary setups of some blocks like the XT.
    Mmmmm. There is a problem in your proposition. Of course, if we could buy the block-only then it would be awesome and perfect to test all blocks with the same amount of pressure at each spring but, as that's not the case, 100% pure apples to apples is not possible as every manufacturer includes their package of stuff and, what do we take as standard? Maybe what is standard in the US is not standard in Europe and so on, which means that we have to get the best of what each manufacturer gives us in the package.

That said, all blocks should be tested with the same pressure (measuring torque on each spring when screwing? I don't know...) when possible. This way we could have a more empirical data and it would not be a problem to mount at all, as the time per mount would be more or less the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    im sure bill gates has always wanted OLED Toilet Paper wipe his butt with steve jobs talking about ipad..
    Mini-review: Q6600 vs i5 2500K. Gpu scaling on games.

Admin

Another interesting thing to note (which does not pertain to Vapor specifically), is that with each new generation (if you want to call it that), the 'best of the best' seems to supersede the previous best by about ~ 0.6 to 3 deg C on average. Which means in the roughly 7 'generations' of the best, the ole Danger Den and Cathar blocks should be behind the Apogee XT by perhaps 11 to 15 deg C. Interestingly, when I put my 9 year old Danger Den MX block (the one with the little 'fins' to cause turbulence) on the i7 920 at about 170 Newtons, the difference was 4.3 deg C. So something is a bit off with the 'best of the best'. It is much more of an e-peen thing than it is a true increase in heat flow transference.

In that regard, we are on a merry go around of five or so larger manufacturers (Swiftech, EK, Koolance, Heatkiller, Alphacool, etc...) who keep trying to one up each other with their latest waterblock penis. As many of you well know, the ability of ~ 200 to 500 grams of copper to dissipate ~ 150 watts can only go so far.

Also, despite some companies claims to use CFD software, I dont see it. It is copycat work from one cycle to the next. The optimum pinned or slot arrangement for a transitionally turbulent flow (that is a flow of around ~ 2800 to 3200 Reynolds) has not been fully realized. However, such a surface (one where the directional vector of a pinned channels' larger surface is normal (in the mathematical sense) to flow direction) will perhaps only net a further gain of 1.5 C over the 'best of the best' today (at least with the head and flow rates of a standard water cooling pump like the 655 or 355). Something to consider in 10 months when another manufacturer releases their 'best of the best', that bests everyone else by 2 deg C.
    First of all, great post I'm not taking an offense to what you're saying (if I knew you were someone to attack underhandedly, then I would be, but I would be even if you were complimenting me ).

I think maintaining a constant pressure is a great idea for a separate set of analysis (maybe something I'll utilize for the "Advanced Look" I'll bring in for Round 3, but it would essentially double the amount of work per block). But as my testing is now, it's not to scientifically test the performace of a block, but rather to review the block as a whole product.

For instance, with the D-Tek Fuzion V2 + LGA1366 bracket, its as-delivered performance is abysmal. But with a simple increase in mounting pressure, the block is actually pretty darn good. If I did a standardized mounting pressure, the flaw in the stock mounting system would not be exposed and people would think the product they were buying would be better than it really were.

Although this is a bit of a stretch, there's also the issue of the bow and manufacturers "teaching to the test." Hypothetically, if they know I supply 140N of mounting pressure for my test, they can optimize a bow to be ideal for specifically that much force, when maybe the mounting system "feels right" or even stops at a different amount (ultimately, I'd be misrepresenting the product). (and this entire paragraph is making a lot of assumptions regarding manufacturers, their abilities, their experience with and knowledge of whatever TIM I use for Round 3, how much they think my tests mean to them, etc.)

Regarding long term progress, this is something I've actually wanted to test for awhile and provide a chart with C/W vs. Time to show how the market is progressing. I have a 'fresh' Apogee GT here, I see Jab-Tech has Storms for dirt cheap, and I'm sure I could wrangle up a few other 'classics' as well. I haven't worked through my queue of modern blocks yet though, so it's on hold until indefinitely.

I am Xtreme

This is exactly why the last blocks I bought for all my rigs were D-Tek V1 and V2 FuZioN's. Unless I see something I know is a radical departure from what we currently have, I'm not spending another dime on a CPU block.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    This is exactly why the last blocks I bought for all my rigs were D-Tek V1 and V2 FuZioN's. Unless I see something I know is a radical departure from what we currently have, I'm not spending another dime on a CPU block.
    Thats also because you're as stubborn as a rented mule.

Xtreme Member
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=26784

I wonder if this and the HF are the same block, Although I can't rationalize spending that much money when my fuzion v2 still does the job. Your washer trick provides some improvement on LGA 775, especially for those of us who lapped their cpus.

I'm looking forward to seeing round 3, I really am glad that you address low flow situations in your reviews. There are some of us, that value silence over the last few C, or over-clock.

Great review, you're an asset to the community.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    Thats also because you're as stubborn as a rented mule.
    This is true.

Still, you can't deny the genius of Danny's blocks, it's just so tweakable that it'll probably still be a very good block another 10 years from now.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Guru
    Thanks for all your hard work Vapor...
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity