Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread: [Review] Round 2: EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M_T_M View Post
    Wich pate jetis the best choice for block HF? After the tests, the best #1, or any other?
    I believe #1 provides the best cooling but is the most restrictive.

Edit: source
    Last edited by Huww; 09-08-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Best cooling is most restrictive, yeah. But! Still less resistive then few other top cpu waterblocks. Win-win.

Xtreme Member
    Funny timing too, I just got one in the mail today!

Xtreme Member
    Does anyone know where you can buy black skrews set to the EK supreme HF?
    If there is.....
    1.pc: Evga 4way, 980X, 3x5870, 3x2 1600mhz GT
    Storage: 3xOcz Vertex 1, Vertex 2 64gb and 2x150gb Raptor. -Updating-

Something has never been clarified, what is the best orientation for mounting.

Can some one tell me what I should see when I look into my case window at the MB. I am going to vertically mount my MB.

Can no one answer this or does it not matter?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Masika View Post
    Can no one answer this or does it not matter?
    I kinda like the 69 mount myself. Everyone wins!

Seriously though horizontal is fine.

Just an FYI for everyone using a gold block and Indigo Xtreme. This was posted on Indigo's website:

"The Indigo Xtreme alloy will
    amalgamate with the gold plate, resulting
    in a bond (and loss of the original gold
    surface); lapping would be needed to
    remove the alloy from the block."

http://indigo-xtreme.com/docs/ixheat...cationnote.pdf

I am torn between getting a one time fantastic thermal performance now and having to lap my HF gold later when I change or lap it now and not having to mess with it later. Oh well...

Also, just a thought on mounting pressure. Since spring compression rates, motherboard thickness, mounting washers, finger strength, etc. all differ, it seems like the best constant would be the distance from the 4 tips of the hold down bracket to the motherboard PCB surface. I measure from the junction of the PCB and the EK pvc washer/metal washer/nut to the top of the outer tip of the hold down bracket. I seem to get good compression (looking at TIM spread) with 14mm.

Some say to measure between top of thumb screw and hold down bracket but differing spring rates will cause errors this way.
    I7 3770K @ 5Ghz @ 1.288v 24/7 Liquid Pro
    Asus MVF 804
    EK Supremacy Plexi plate#3
    factory chipset waterblock
    custom water
    2x8GB G.Skill TridentX 2400c10
    Sapphire 7970 Toxic
    2x120GB Raid0 Sandisk Extreme SSD sata3
    3x2TB Seagate Barracuda XT sata3
    Antec HCP 1200
    Antec 1200
    Win7 x64 Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by Masika View Post
    Something has never been clarified, what is the best orientation for mounting.

Can some one tell me what I should see when I look into my case window at the MB. I am going to vertically mount my MB.
    Front to back (horizontal). Hole closest to center is inlet.
    Asus MVF 804
    custom water
    Sapphire 7970 Toxic
    Antec HCP 1200
    Antec 1200
    Win7 x64 Ultra

Xtreme Member
    Let me get this straight, the Indigo Xtreme TIM Compound is incompatible with most popular waterblocks, most of the top air coolers and even the default Intel Cooler?

Xtreme Guru
    Since when incompatible? Says who? You mean that gold plating post? Somehow hadn't noticed yet most waterblocks and air coolers being gold plated. So far only heard that Unlike liquid metal pro/ultra IX is the one that doesn't diffuse with IHS/block or cooler base and is much easier to remove/peel of.

Xtreme Member
    Churchy, did you read this PDF from IndigoExtreme?

http://indigo-xtreme.com/docs/ixheat...cationnote.pdf

Xtreme Guru
    jumper2high: So? In most cases just notes what's specific and what should be taken care of when using IX with particular piece of cooling hardware, why cry loud Not Compatible With Most Of Water Blocks / Coolers!!! (sorry, that's how i interpreted your post).
    Like reflowing longer with big top air coolers, changing to spring clamping mount for coolers without such, or that gold plating might be lost on some specific variant of HF (i'm guessing that it's 1:1000 from all HF sold worldwide at most), or isolating mounting bolts from cpu lid, or using less clamping force. I doubt ever seeing someone buying IX to be used with stock oem cooler, and don't know is it really that big issue with coolers of direct touch heatpipes with gaps, as imho some IX will stay nevertheless between base of cooler and IHS.
    And i wonder .. how Vapor could test IX in his TIM test on such "incompatible" water block, huh?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What that pdf boils down to is anything that doesn't have a full cpu coverage flat suface. Or gold plated. Considering the nature of IX seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    jumper2high: So? In most cases just notes what's specific and what should be taken care of when using IX with particular piece of cooling hardware, why cry loud Not Compatible With Most Of Water Blocks / Coolers!!! (sorry, that's how i interpreted your post).
    Like reflowing longer with big top air coolers, changing to spring clamping mount for coolers without such, or that gold plating might be lost on some specific variant of HF (i'm guessing that it's 1:1000 from all HF sold worldwide at most), or isolating mounting bolts from cpu lid, or using less clamping force. I doubt ever seeing someone buying IX to be used with stock oem cooler, and don't know is it really that big issue with coolers of direct touch heatpipes with gaps, as imho some IX will stay nevertheless between base of cooler and IHS.
    And i wonder .. how Vapor could test IX in his TIM test on such "incompatible" water block, huh?
    The word incompatible would, in my understanding of English language, mean that something can not be used with it without modifications. I assume that's the case. Basically, all the popular heatsinks and blocks (let's not get into a discussion about "popular" next) are listed with certain limitations. I have to ask, if you are required to modify a heat sink to accommodate thermal interface material, is it really worth the half a degree you'll get compared to using some of the other popular brands that - by the looks of things - don't require any modifications.

Xtreme Guru
    You always read only first sentences? How about 2nd one - "Additionally, a few solutions are noted as conditionally compatible, if certain conditions are met."
    Anyway, imho any furthier discussion should be kept in some TIM related thread instead of adding offtopic stuff here. Maybe some mod can move posts?

Problem with Supreme HF base?

EK states on their website:

" The base plate is made of electrolytic copper lapped and polished to +/- 0,0007 mm flatness"

But mine definitely has a raised area in the middle. It seems to correlate to the area of the micro channels cut in the base. Anybody else notice this?

It looks like when it is manufactured, they lap and polish the base first and then cut the channels afterwards which then distorts the base a little. Here are some pics of a new one:

It is preventing me from getting a good mount.

Thx
    Dr_DX
    Asus MVF 804
    custom water
    Sapphire 7970 Toxic
    Antec HCP 1200
    Antec 1200
    Win7 x64 Ultra

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_dx View Post
    EK states on their website:

" The base plate is made of electrolytic copper lapped and polished to +/- 0,0007 mm flatness"

But mine definitely has a raised area in the middle. It seems to correlate to the area of the micro channels cut in the base. Anybody else notice this?

It looks like when it is manufactured, they lap and polish the base first and then cut the channels afterwards which then distorts the base a little. Here are some pics of a new one:

It is preventing me from getting a good mount.

Thx
    Dr_DX
    same here !!!
    but i did not notice any deference in temp after i switched from a HK3.0 block to HF .

Xtreme Addict
    this bow is created when putting together the block; the imprint comes from the jet plates afaik and has no negative impact on cooling performance afaik;

lapping it will lower your cooling performance as with any bowed block....
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Since my w3680 IHS is slightly bowed, with average pressure I only get contact with about 30% of the IHS. With the max pressure that I feel comfortable using, I get about 50%. On my other blocks that ARE flat, I get about 90~95% contact with max pressure.
    Asus MVF 804
    custom water
    Sapphire 7970 Toxic
    Antec HCP 1200
    Antec 1200
    Win7 x64 Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by generics_user View Post
    this bow is created when putting together the block; the imprint comes from the jet plates afaik and has no negative impact on cooling performance afaik;

lapping it will lower your cooling performance as with any bowed block....

That's my point - it isn't supposed to be a bowed block according to the manufacturer. It is supposed to be flat.

In my book, more contact=decreased Bond Line Thickness=better thermal performance.

You can't tell me that a properly mounted HF making 50% contact is going to perform better than one making 95~100% contact.
    Asus MVF 804
    custom water
    Sapphire 7970 Toxic
    Antec HCP 1200
    Antec 1200
    Win7 x64 Ultra

Never go full retard
    It is a bowed block, always has been.

Contact over the die is the most important, and that is where the bow is on purpose.

Xtreme Member

EK Supreme HF with cracking?

Two years later ............. cracking?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ek.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	128905

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Damage done by tightening the fittings ?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314