Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: [Review] Round 2: EK Supreme HF

Admin

[Review] Round 2: EK Supreme HF

Time for the latest (and one of the last) installments for Round 2 of my CPU Block testing....I've been quiet for a few months but testing is back and going full steam ahead and Round 3 is already in advanced planning stages (and the second TIM review is upcoming--still).

Until then, there's new block on the block that needs reviewing, the EK Supreme HF. It's a big update to the Supreme, even if your eyes say otherwise. Lower restriction and better thermal performance are the two main features of the block and, frankly, it doesn't disappoint.

This review has a lot more talking from me (I think) and also my first review with a full suite of pictures! I don't fully go into WHY this block is the best performing block on the market, but maybe I'll post in here why it takes such a big lead

Anyway, if you forgot the testing process, go to the full review, this is the abbreviated version with results (what I know you all care about )!

So, let's cut the foreplay and give you some results:

Conclusion
    New king on the block for performance--zero doubt about that. Less restrictive than the HK 3.0 LT/Cu (and therefore a lot less restrictive than the Apogee XT) and better thermally than the Apogee XT (and therefore a lot better than the HK 3.0 LT/Cu). It's not a flawless block though--mounting system is primitive, the best injection plate isn't the stock one (and it's unequivocally the best, so it should be stock), and the looks are dated (when did the Supreme come out, 2007? it's basically identical to it).

But damn is the performance good

Anyway, full review is here!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just want to say THANKS for all your hard work with all the testing you've done. It's been a great resource for all of us.

Xtreme Member
    Yes thanks for the share.

is time to sell my HK and get me one of this
    CPU 920 Apogee XT
    MOBO asus R3E
    RAM G.Skill ripjaws X 2133 @ 1450 6-6-6-12
    GPU Evga gtx 480 850/1686/1936
    HDD 300GB WD raptor
    PSU TX750 corsair
    RAD black ice GTX Xtreme 360 and 240
    PUMP DDC

Xtreme Member
    Thanks once again Vapor for the excellent tests you provide! Glad to see that such a free flowing block holds the performance crown.

Xtreme Member
    Nice test
    Cmndt. Eric Lassard: What is the most frustrating thing about police work?
    Tackleberry: Not being able to carry hand grenades, sir.

I am Xtreme
    Very nice! Beats XT then! Quite impressive!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Yet another great review by Vapor. Really looking forward to part two of your TIM review!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very nice, thanks for testing it, this one must have been a pain with all the injector plates...

The warranty void sticker you mention in the review is probably for the pressure test they do, EK can't guarantee that it's leak free if you disassemble it and get something wrong when assembling it.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    The warranty void sticker you mention in the review is probably for the pressure test they do, EK can't guarantee that it's leak free if you disassemble it and get something wrong when assembling it.
    Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    WOW,i didn't think that it will beat the XT but it seems that it does,so what's about the review for the koolance CPU-360?when is the estimated time for it to be posted as i am really looking forward to seeing if it would beat the EK Supreme HF
    *****:Hi
    Me:Hi,how old are you?
    *****:14,U?
    Me:I am 15,where are you from?
    *****I am from USA,U?
    Me:I am from Egypt
    *****:what?!!!!,you must be joking
    Me:why?
    *****: Don't you ride camels and have no forms of Technology ?
    Me:LOL

Xtreme Addict
    The Warranty void sticker is there to confirm the block was tested for leaking.
    If customer openy up any of EK blocks and breaks the seal, it only means that he cannot rma the block for leaking.
    The rest of the warranty (material and manufacturing) is still there!

Thank you for the review!
    Quote Originally Posted by creidiki
    EKs are like waterblock pr0n

Xtreme Member
    So the best plate to use is the most restrictive #1? Is it the same #1 as in this picture?

So the one with 2 lines.

Very happy now that I sold my heatkiller and got the Supreme HF ^^
    Specs:
    HW: Lian Li PC-A71F | i7 920 | P6T Deluxe | HD5870 | 6GB OCZ Platinum 2000mhz | AX850W | Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 | Intel X25-M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB Caviar Green
    WC: EK-FC5870 | EK Supreme HF | Swiftech MCP655 with EK top | ThermoChill PA120.2 | ThermoChill PA120.3 | EK Multioption 250
    Other: Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans | Aqua Computer Aquaero | Bitspower Comp. Fittings

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy_EK View Post
    If customer openy up any of EK blocks and breaks the seal, it only means that he cannot rma the block for leaking.

Maybe you should use the best plate directly so the user doesn't have to open the block and miss the leaking warranty if he wants the best performance possible?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by woffen View Post
    Maybe you should use the best plate directly so the user doesn't have to open the block and miss the leaking warranty if he wants the best performance possible?
    I'll sacrifice 1°C on my CPU for higher flow through the rest of my loop.. i'm fine with the stock plate

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmat View Post
    I'll sacrifice 1°C on my CPU for higher flow through the rest of my loop.. i'm fine with the stock plate
    Well if you look at the flowrates in the charts the differences are not that big with the different plates. Granted, neither are the temperature differences but I would call them more important. And if you really wanted the best flow you'd still have to open the block and change to plate 4 to get the best flow and loose the leaking warranty

This is not maybe such a important thing for many but still something that came to mind.

Xtreme Addict
    +1 in appreciation of taking the time to do the testing, and it is a lot of time...especially being thorough and testing all the different plates, saves me some time. I bought the Acetal/delrin version when it came out, wanted a black top for my upcoming build and they had me sold with.. fits my Gigabyte board without my having to take a dremel to it, which I had to do on my previous 2 blocks. I will definitely be using plate 1, trade .1gpm for 1C anyday.

Xtreme Addict
    Dare I say, "EK SUPREME HF FTW!"

Xtreme Member
    I can assure you: the 360 doesn´t enter " the top five" .....
    Last edited by JASSAF; 03-12-2010 at 05:51 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    And still no cpu-360 . I was waiting for results of it way more then of HF.

Never go full retard
    That is a lot less restriction than what I expected to see, especially for Plate 1. I have to agree on the mount system, time for a revision there.

And, on all the photos!

edit: Feel free to blame me on the lack of a CPU-360 review presently... I've been under the weather and didn't get the replacement cold plate out to Vapor in a timely manner.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks so much for the review!

My EK supreme HF gets here today
    Email/web browsing PC
    MM Ascension case, 24/7 settings
    Classified, 980x @ 4,525Mhz, HT on 1.39V
    (3) ATI 5870's@ 1062Mhz
    G skill perfect storm RAM s 6gb, 2,176 Mhz CAS 8
    (4) intel x25m RAID 0
    CPU loop, EK supreme HF, EK mobo block, 500MM bitspower res, 2 DDC 3.25's on XSPC top, 2 XSPC RX 360's, 1 XSPC RX 480, GPU loop, EK water blocks, with nickel backs, 2 swiftech mcr 320's, 500MM bitspower res, ddc 3.25, XSPC top all with 1850 RPM gentle typhoons
    plus many other rigs.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    Very nice, thanks for testing it, this one must have been a pain with all the injector plates...

The sticker is only on one side though, so it doesn't need to be removed/broken to get to the internals.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy_EK View Post

Sounds like a good policy to me...maybe add a second sticker though?

Great block btw

Quote Originally Posted by Elpy View Post
    So the best plate to use is the most restrictive #1? Is it the same #1 as in this picture?

So the one with 2 lines.

Very happy now that I sold my heatkiller and got the Supreme HF ^^
    Yup, I used the same naming scheme as what's on their website and in the instructions

Quote Originally Posted by JASSAF View Post
    I can assure you: the 360 doesn´t enter " the top five" .....
    I don't think you're in the position to be making assurances.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Very cool I was just making a list on a thread I made and I was probably going to buy this one. Makes my decision a little bit easier.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Addict
    I guess we'll be changing assembling jet plate to #1.
    Quote Originally Posted by creidiki
    EKs are like waterblock pr0n

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast