Thread: Water cooling system monitoring

Xtreme Member

Water cooling system monitoring

Hey, I'm starting up on a new costly project, an external portable watercooling unit, capable of cooling 1-6 OC'd i7's or 5 dual socket server boards, and I'm in need of some software/hardware.

I need a board that can plug in via USB that can monitor/control up to 15 fans, 3 pumps and 3 temperature probes.

I've looked around alot, but I can't find anything relating to what I need. If anyone knows where i could find it, or who could possible make it for me as a one off, It would be extremely appreciated, ill buy you a 6 pack or something, searching for this is doing my head in

Xtreme Member
    The supreme land of rules and regulations
    Your best bet would probably be the Koolance unit with expansions for the pumps (at least I think you can do more than one expansion with it). Have a look at the info on their website and see if it suits your needs. Nothing else really comes to mind that would be even remotely possible of doing what you are asking.
    If I'm a danger to myself just think what I could do to you.

Xtreme Mentor
    The Koolance only does 6 fans and 2 pumps. Your best bet is to look at the Aquero.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Xtreme Member
    I've considered buying it, but i called up koolance and they said they only sell it in bulk of 20 or more. Mines going to be custom, with a lot more cooling power, 3x 480 rads.

After looking at the aquero, I can't use it. it needs to have support for multiple pumps and auto-tuning. plus if its 5w per channel, 4 channels, and i have 12 fans, that can't be done

Looking at koolance, Seems like i could get 2 kits with the expansion boards and that should do it, but if theres an all-in-one option it would be preferred.

I'm thinking maybe a manufacturer that does water-cooled server clusters will have hardware/software that i need, but alas I can't find one.

Chasing After Diety
    That koolance unit will not be able to handle 6 overclocked i7's, unless you mean OC as sub 4ghz Oc.
    Even at 3.6ghz on 6 i7's i think you'll overload that radiator.

Its not a copper radiator either, its alu.

If your gonna need a external solution, and money can be spent unfroogley, my recomendation is that you get a straight custom.
    My basic rule of thumb is you want 120x2 radiator per i7.
    @ 6 you would need 120x12 or 120x3 x 4 or 120x4 x 3 area of coverage which basically means u need 4 MCR320's or 3 XSPC480's

Your not going to fit that in a small box.
    You can get cases which u can convert into a water box tho.

Have it have its own PSU and run it on QD's to make transportation a lot easier.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    Exactly what I've planned . Im going to get either 3x 480 XSPC rads or 3x 560 Black Ice rads. I've added up the cost for the connections alone (quick connects, compression fittings, right angles) and so far they've pushed 600. Going to be one big ass project. And the case is more than likley going to be scratch built. Be my first scratch built case if it is, so will be interesting to see how it goes.

I had an old Thermaltake Xaser III that I gutted a few years back, and I was starting to measure it up and put holes in it, when I did all the math and realized "hey, I can fit everything in here! AHA!-wait...wheres the air going to go...."

It's going to be a monster case no matter what, I'm looking at 650-700 deep, 250 wide and 550 high.

Yes I'm going to have a PSU in there, and a Nano-ITX board with software and hardware connections to monitor and control all the fans/pumps, which is the biggest dilemma, finding a thermal control board to do all that

I might ring up Koolance again and see if there's anyway I can link a few of their main thermal controller boards.

PS here's a quick sketch of the flow connections:

this is a big project, and once i tough of using koolance but the problem was there ALU rad.

good luck and keep us in the loop
    CPU 920 Apogee XT
    MOBO asus R3E
    RAM G.Skill ripjaws X 2133 @ 1450 6-6-6-12
    GPU Evga gtx 480 850/1686/1936
    HDD 300GB WD raptor
    PSU TX750 corsair
    RAD black ice GTX Xtreme 360 and 240
    PUMP DDC

Xtreme Member
    Ive got a koolance quad in the top of my cosmos and it hasnt given me any troubles as long as you have the right additives it should be fine

Xtreme Member
    Started on case design when i scored some free time, just a basic idea of the size of things and construction.

Next to it is a mini-itx board, 17x17cm, thanks to Alex, and the TFC 480 Rads to show its size thanks to KingHong1970

Will be a very sturdy case, out of 25mm square aluminum bar secured with steel 303 alloy M5 x 40mm socket caps

After seeing the mountain mods Monticle 24, this is going to turn out similar, but a bit bigger and with a few more features like Lian-li casters, that can rotate and lock 90 degrees to slide back and forwards, or side to side for easy positioning; Sliding front and back panel to side all the shiny buttons/fittings :P; Pump speed switches 7v/12v/off same with fans, 7" touchscreen for thermal interface, intel mini-itx board; dual walls on all sides with soundproofing, enermax everest fans with side intake ports in the side panels lowering air restriction and noise (fans are 12dB as it stands ), AC Ryan 2-way mirror acrylic window industrial-style tube and cable routing, front 200mm Antec big boy 200mm 110cfm 16dB intake fan, and a lot more that i cant list of the top of my head.

s going to be one expensive ass project, Ive already started by buying a heavy duty benchtop drill press, shaft loaded not bearing so it can handle milling.

Will start this up in the work log section soon, look out for it
    Last edited by individual; 03-13-2010 at 03:57 PM.

This is going to be one awesome project.

Xtreme Member
    update: I've sourced a liquid cooling solution that is all integrated and can monitor and control components via software. I found it on aquatuning.com. its called the Aquacomputer Aquastream XT USB 12V Pump- Ultra Version.

I had to translate it from German, but i did my best:

This includes not only traditional pump functions, but is a highly integrated microprocessor-controlled measuring system for your cooling system, as it is unique worldwide.
    All variants of the aquastream now have a USB interface that will work without the aquero, software or manual control, can attach fans, flow sensors, temperature sensors.
    There are an unbelievable number of parameters and thresholds configurable.
    measure and re-adjusting the fan output. Of course, no grumbling PWM a high-precision analog output voltage is provided.
    It also required start your fan speeds are taken into account and automatically executed by the controller.
    All controller settings can be complex, influenced by you or it can be quickly selected by pre-configured presets. Can be regulated according to the internally measured water temperature, the external temperature or manually set.
    Course is spent in the event of a failure of the fan and an alarm signal.
    Moreover, it was put on maximum operational value: If an excessive load connected to the fan output, the electronics detects this automatically. It will begin by setting the voltage to 100% to reach a minimal power dissipation in the system. This is adequate to protect the electronics, its it's not enough, another alarm will be triggered and turned off the power.

I AM EXCITED PEOPLE

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by individual View Post
    Next to it is a mini-itx board, 17x17cm, thanks to Alex, and the TFC 480 Rads to show its size thanks to KingHong1970
    Glad to see you like my board .

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    Glad to see you like my board .
    I give credit where credit is due are the measurements precise? As in the location of the mounting holes?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by individual View Post
    I give credit where credit is due are the measurements precise? As in the location of the mounting holes?
    i've tried as best as possible to draw everything to match on the radiators...
    should be accurate... been a while since i've checked that drawing...
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Xtreme Member
    seems fairly accurate, within .5 mil is fine, and it is 17x17 exactly, and its a photo so i guess it should be damn accurate :P