Thread: headless crunchers

Xtreme Cruncher

headless crunchers

this is the first time i built a computer dedicated to only crunching. i want to run it without a monitor but it wont boot . then i plugged in the video card with the monitor cable connected, and it boots fine and i connect to it remotely using VCN. so i isolated the problem between the mobo and video card connection. so is this the OS's fault or the mobo's fault? i looked in the bios and there's nothing i can set to disable video card detection. any workarounds i can do? it's an EVGA x58 mobo and win7 64bit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I've never yet owned a motherboard that would post without a video adaptor of some kind. I'm sure some will, but I'm never had one. I just leave a minimal vid card in there with no monitor attached.

Xtreme Cruncher
    ah guess it's the mobo's fault then. thanks guys /thread

Quote Originally Posted by gongo View Post
    Something that works for me with desktop boards is to grab a DVI-to-VGA dongle and plug it into the DVI port. It makes the board think a CRT is attached without having to waste a VGA cable. I'm not 100% certain it'll fix your problem, but it works for me.
    i'm assuming you're talking about mobos with onboard graphics? there's no x58 (which is what i'm using) that has DVI ports on there for me to plug anything in. and for mobos that already have these video ports you're refering to, i don't think you would even need to plug any adapters in because it already has an onboard GPU. the problem with these x58/p55 is that it requires some kind of GPU i think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    There should be an option in the first BIOS screen like "halt on: all but keyboard" Set it to "no errors" and it should boot without a video card.
    i7 3970X @ 4500MHz 1.28v
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz 9-11-10-27
    Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC 3-way Crossfire
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    HK 3.0-MCP655-Phobya 400mm rad
    Corsair AX1200i
    Sandisk Exrtreme 240GB
    3x2TB WD Greens for storage
    TT Armor VA8003SWA

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by fallwind View Post
    There should be an option in the first BIOS screen like "halt on: all but keyboard" Set it to "no errors" and it should boot without a video card.
    that was the first thing i set in the bios before taking out the video card, and it still would not boot. with the fajillion crunchers you have, do most of them require a GPU?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    I just went out and bought a couple Ati 3450 just to avoid the problem.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Only one machine in the farm has a GPU so I can monitor the rest via BOINCview and remote desktop. All boot fine without the GPU. I'm running all Gigabyte boards now but had some Asus in the past and they worked fine headless as well. The only thing I ever had to do was change the setting mentioned in my previous post. I've never owned an EVGA board so I can't really offer anything further.
    i7 3970X @ 4500MHz 1.28v
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz 9-11-10-27
    Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC 3-way Crossfire
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    HK 3.0-MCP655-Phobya 400mm rad
    Corsair AX1200i
    Sandisk Exrtreme 240GB
    3x2TB WD Greens for storage
    TT Armor VA8003SWA

Xtreme Cruncher
    i did some digging around on google and this is a huge hit and miss. most say it's impossible with the ones they've tried, and some says it works fine for their mobos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFireDragon View Post
    ah guess it's the mobo's fault then. thanks guys /thread

i'm assuming you're talking about mobos with onboard graphics? there's no x58 (which is what i'm using) that has DVI ports on there for me to plug anything in. and for mobos that already have these video ports you're refering to, i don't think you would even need to plug any adapters in because it already has an onboard GPU. the problem with these x58/p55 is that it requires some kind of GPU i think.
    A $20 GeForce or Radeon card usually works fine. Maybe you have some old PCI cards sitting around? Anything really. But yeah; try turn off the Halt on Error option.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's