Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hard drive evolution could hit Microsoft XP users

Xtreme Mentor
    most recent reviews I've seen have placed vista/windows 7 marginally ahead of XP in terms of gaming performance.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xlink View Post
    you can go back to the same interface as windows 2000, it takes 2 or 3 clicks...
    Not in Win 7. They removed the classic Start menu and the task bar just changes theme but still functions the same as the Aero one. Not that I like the classic theme, but many people do and won't upgrade even from XP or Vista because it was removed.

Quote Originally Posted by xlink View Post
    (bare in mind I'm a student and I get my OSes for free)
    That's the same reason I own Vista and Win 7

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    Not in Win 7. They removed the classic Start menu and the task bar just changes theme but still functions the same as the Aero one. Not that I like the classic theme, but many people do and won't upgrade even from XP or Vista because it was removed.

That's the same reason I own Vista and Win 7
    Well, there is a solution to that.
    http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
    (you even get the up-button back )

Also if you like me cant stand the breadcumbs thingy there is a solution to that as well(scroll down a bit)
    http://twigstechtips.blogspot.com/20...-explorer.html

Even though I with the above got rid of the biggest reasons why not to surrender to win7 I just can't make the switch. It plainly sucks donkeyballs and I just cant justify it based on swishy-swoshy menues and other "enhancements" alone. Pretty package with less performance is for me at least a step in the wrong direction.

98% of the computer-time I am working in a software environment, then it really doesn't matter if the desktop and dialog frames are semi-transparent and swishy-swoshy enhanced. For me at least efficeincy comes from a fast and simplified working environment, not a pretty user interface.

...guess I'm funny that way..
    GA-H55N-USB3
    i3-550 L008B555 @4.6GHz (1.36v)
    Sapphire HD 5850 @1GHz/1.3GHz (1.25v)
    GSkill ECO 4GB PC3-12800 @1.33GHz 6-6-6-20 1T (1.34v)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234