Thread: Looking for a good headset.

Looking for a good headset.

I want a good headset for gaming and music. I want it to support multichannels if possible, Removable Microphone. Also if possible to have a similar bridge between left and right like this headset has. I want to use it on my palm pre, Xbox 360 and PC (X-Fi Titanium).

So suggest me a headset. Also if possible make it affordable 30-100 bucks, maybe a few dollars over.
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Xtreme Addict
    I was in the same boat myself, i wanted a sub 100$ multichannel headset and looked at Tritton's offerings. I got the headset and almost threw it in the garbage coming from Audio Technica A700 normal (but quality) stereo headphones. They sucked at positioning, they sucked horribly at music, and they sucked at game sound quality.

Thats no exaggeration either and I'm not one to pretend to be a "golden ear", my advice pickup a quality pair of (normal) headphones and a external mic somewhere on your desk and you'll be much happier. If you need a mic for your phone you can pick up a cable that your headphones plug into that give you that functionality without compromise.

If you really want excellent headphones with built in mic support I'd see if you can pickup some Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 vi's off ebay although you'll probably be spending close to $150, but the sound quality is described as excellent everywhere I've read about them.
    Last edited by Levish; 03-08-2010 at 10:40 AM.

I went and bought a pair of these from amazon.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efhpa2/home.aspx

Xtreme Addict
    does the multi channel work well and how do they sound for music/games?

Xtreme Addict
    Sennheiser HD 350, or some other Sennheiser. Multichannels + headset = only games. Music sounds horrible on every multichannel headset. I have currently Sennheiser HD 555 (almost same as HD 595, just tiny bit less crispier) and with virtual headphones, it works great (CMSS 3D). At least good enough, that I can spot enemy by sound.. (in BFBC2 or CoD4 or CS:S/1.6). And music.. is just epic (ofc with bit-matched playback and disabled CMSS 3D and X-Fi Crystalizer and disabled SVM .. plus if you like music, use ASIO .. ideal is FooBar 2K with ASIO plugin).

Tough, not enough for me, so Im going to have HD 650 this week. (yea Im crazy)

But dont expect sound like I have from X-Fi Titanium.. if you like music, you really need something better.
    Last edited by Mescalamba; 03-15-2010 at 09:12 AM.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Addict
    wouldn't trade my Senns for anything. I just a use a cheapass desktop mic and it from what friends say it sounds perfect.
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    herd these ones were real nice..

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMaynard View Post
    wouldn't trade my Senns for anything. I just a use a cheapass desktop mic and it from what friends say it sounds perfect.
    Heh actually separated mic is sometimes better than cheap all-in-one solution.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Mentor
    PC350 or easily driven quality stereo headphones with separate mic.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

They sound good, just can't crank up the bass too much. Sometimes the Surround speaker drivers that are 40mm are a bit static-y. But the rest is good, the mic seems good too. I'm gonna get some of the quick connect cables so I can use it on a 2 channel system without a USB powering it. When using a 5.1 config, you gotta have the USB plugged in.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
    PC350 or easily driven quality stereo headphones with separate mic.
    PC350's are alright but stay away from the HD280 Pro LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Quote Originally Posted by Warboy View Post
    I want a good headset for gaming and music. I want it to support multichannels if possible, Removable Microphone. Also if possible to have a similar bridge between left and right like this Gaming Headset has. I want to use it on my palm pre, Xbox 360 and PC (X-Fi Titanium).

So suggest me a headset. Also if possible make it affordable 30-100 bucks, maybe a few dollars over.
    Suggest the headset which I bought from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gaming-Skype-Mon...item5190e28ae4
    It's Great for use with Skype, computer gaming etc.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by stars1 View Post
    Suggest the headset which I bought from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gaming-Skype-Mon...item5190e28ae4
    It's Great for use with Skype, computer gaming etc.
    Yah, a mono headset would be A+ for gaming!

Nice try pushing your product, though. Not that you'll be back to read this.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Mentor
    lmao a monoheadset. It's also good for surround sound and noise cancelling right?
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Quote Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
    Yah, a mono headset would be A+ for gaming!

Nice try pushing your product, though. Not that you'll be back to read this.
    Oh, my god. Thanks for your reply.
    In fact, I am not work for ebay seller. hehe...

Xtreme Mentor
    what's wrong with you..
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by stars1 View Post
    Oh, my god. Thanks for your reply.
    In fact, I am not work for ebay seller. hehe...
    How in the heck can you game without directional sound? I'm sure this person isn't looking at $1,400 Senheisser HD800 be geesh!
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Mentor
    SONY MDR-V6.. they are for stereo use.. so preduce real nice sounds...

the "retail" version is priced... at double when it is the same can's... seriously try them out they are pretty epic I use them for home recoding and are much better then many monitor-headphones i've tried under £100
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

pysko 5.1 $300.00 backordered
    Its all about gaming

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by scottbenson8 View Post
    pysko 5.1 $300.00 backordered
    I sure would love to test them but I'll easily stick with software instead of hardware 5.1 for Cans. I was worried about how heavy they would be but folks at CES said they were kind of light.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2338722,00.asp

Do some shopping if you're serious. They were supposed to be $199 on Pre Order so I'm not shocked they are back ordered now. Good luck and I hope they are all they are advertised to be.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    5.1 and 7.1 headphones are stupid, it can never work right.. unless someone really good design that (read AKG/Sennheiser/Beyerdynamic/Denon/ATH etc.).

Btw. high end models have usually whats called "soundstage" .. side effect is, that it also works great in game.

Best results were from Xonar STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (I guess that 350 will be somewhat similar). Tough, STX isnt best for music (very artificial sound).
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Mescalamba View Post
    5.1 and 7.1 headphones are stupid, it can never work right.. unless someone really good design that (read AKG/Sennheiser/Beyerdynamic/Denon/ATH etc.).

Btw. high end models have usually whats called "soundstage" .. side effect is, that it also works great in game.

Best results were from Xonar STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (I guess that 350 will be somewhat similar). Tough, STX isnt best for music (very artificial sound).
    Oh it can work but they will more times than not, suck for Music Playback. 85% the time I've gotten CMSS and CMSS3D to work fine for me. I'd bet you sound stage, imaging and even Doppler Effects are created more by the source more than the cans! I've demonstrated this we cans that cost as low as $6.95!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5G3H...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTl...eature=related

Yes 5.1 can easily be done with stereo Cans.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    Yes, its matter of source too. But for example ASUS Xonar STX/ST has excelent Dolby Headphone 3D effect.. not much for music, but really good in games.. tough, not that accurate as EAX.. but still, nice 3D effect like from 5.1 setup.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD