Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project 2010 - Mountain Mod Ascension

Xtreme Member

Project 2010 - Mountain Mod Ascension

So, I have come to the conclusion my ACTS 840 although sweet, just isn't epic enough. I bought this Mountain Mod Ascension I while back, but just finally put money into buying a Horizontal Tray and support. Anyways here are some pics before I have to run off to work.

yes, the motherboard bar is blocking three of my fan holes, sad.

Good old ACTS 840... so last years news.

Alright, here is the super important question. Blue, Red, or Green LED fans? the GTX 295 blocks currently have Blue Leds, but I am planning on swapping out the 295s at some point for something newer :P perferably something single pcb.

Anyways, off to work for me.
    Last edited by RedFang300; 01-20-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Famous Quote from a Random Friend,"You can't spell Success without Excess."

0.o wait... you are using Liquid Awesome? I told you to not melt down Michael Bay!

Xtreme Member
    Nice to see someone going for mountainmod ascension with horizontal tray. It's a pity the motherboard tray blocking the fan hole on the left panel. Were you planning to put fans or radiators over there?

Any color would go with black, what's important is uniqueness. Which brand's led fans you are planning to use in this case?
    I went for Led enermax blue fan in my ascension. They look good. See what suits you.

So what are the specs for your new build?

I am looking forward what you gonna do with it.

Xtreme Member
    Well, lets see.

Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (at least until the Octicores come out)

Memory: 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 MHz (I want to add 6GB of Crucial Ballistix Tracer Memory, for a total of 12 GB and some LED Bling. They come in red,blue, or green that's why I am picking those fan colors).

Graphics: 2x GTX 295s Quad SLI (and sadly they are the old sandwich version not the sexy single PCB ones. I plan on swapping them out with the GTX 400 dual GPU version or the ATI equivalent for Quad SLI or Quad Crossfire. I would go tripple SLI/Crossfire however the Asus Rampage II Extreme has two X16 PCIE 2.0 and one X8 PCIE 2.0 so triple wouldn't be full power.)

Raid: 2x Western Digital Velociraptors 300GB each.

Power Supply: Thermaltake 1200 Watt Modular.

Other than the newer graphics or the blingy memory I have all the items listed above.

There is my list of Liquid Cooling parts I may or may not be reusing.

CPU Block - Koolance 345 CPU waterblock (probably getting the new one by Koolance, seeing as I missed out on the gold plated EK block )

Mosfets - Koolance Universal Mosfets (I am going to swap these out with the EK copper/actel ones that are designed to fit perfectly with the RE2 the Koolance ones are a bit flimsy and I'm a bit of a brute. Unless someone else knows of some custom RE2 snug fitting mosfet blocks, I want nickle plating if I can get it - I cannot or will not nickle plate them myself.)

NB/SB - Koolance Rampage 2 Extreme motherboard block & QPI block (keeping this but going to take it off and clean it up a bit as well as the whole board)

Graphics Blocks - 2x Koolance GTX 295 blocks. (Keeping these until I get new graphics cards a couple months down the road.)

Pumps - Two DDC with EK V2 Actel Pump Tops and One D5 with new Koolance Actel Top. (Now I am not sure what to do with these, I am using the DDC and the D5 was unused left over from a failed project.)

Radiators - One 360 Copper Koolance Radiator, One 240 Copper Koolance Radiator. One TFC 360 Radiator. (I plan on trowing out the two used Koolance ones (no I don't resell parts) and getting two more of the TFC 360s and mounting them in the front of the case.)

Reservoirs - Two EK Dual Bay Reservoirs, One EK Multioption 100. (I don't want to use the Dual Bays in these, but I don't think the 100 is going to be a big enough reservoir so I might not use any of these.)

Tubing - Koolance UV Blue and UV Green 13mm (since well it's all cut up I'm just gonna get new tubing.)

Fittings - Almost all are Koolance 13mm Compression Fittings and some Bitspower Angle ones. (reusing these)

Fans - Five 120mm Delta Fans (Thinking about using these on the back of the case to exhaust all the hot air seeing as these Delta's move alot of air , that and I don't need LED exhaust fans.) One Antec 2200 RPM Blue LED fan (I'm thinking about getting a bunch of these, or just not using it.)

I think I covered most of everything.

0.o wait... you are using Liquid Awesome? I told you to not melt down Michael Bay!

Xtreme Member
    Alright, so I contacted Enzotech and good news. The blocks that they have for the Rampage II Extreme are copper, they are nickle plated, and they are G1/4 fittings.

And I have been compiling a list of items I want to purchase for this upgrade.

CPU Block: Koolance CPU-360 Rev 1.1
    Mosfet Block: Enzotech AS-REII-MOS
    NB/SB Block: Enzotech AS-REII-SN
    QPI Block: Enzotech AS-REII-RAM
    Radiator: 2x Feser X-Changer 360 (since I already have 1)
    Tubing: Koolance Tubing, Blue UV-Reactive
    Fans: 27x Antec TriCool 3-speed 120mm Blue LED Fan
    Fans: 4x Antec TriCool 3-speed 80mm Blue LED Fan
    Tool: Metal Hose Cutter.

I just need to figure out about my pump situation, and if I am going to have;

One Loop = (CPU>Radiator>Mosfet>QPI>NB/SB>Radiator>GPU>GPU>Radiator>Res>Pump(probably the D5)

Two Loops = (CPU>Mosfet>QPI>NB/SB>Radiator>Radiator>Res>Pump(DDC)) (GPU>GPU>Radiator>Res>Pump(DDC))

Three Loops = (CPU>Radiator>Res>Pump) (Mosfet>QPI>NB/SB>Radiator>Res>Pump) (GPU>GPU>Radiator>Res>Pump)

Not sure what pumps to use on the three loops, either D5 for CPU and DDC for the others or just get another DDC and use three DDCs.

That and I still don't know what Res(s) I need.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Aaah, I just love that case! Its freggin HUGE! I always wanted the horizontal MB tray too (damn you RedFang! (BTW, looks like a Blood Angel, am I right?)). But the case costs an arm and a leg and the shipping to Sweden is...Just to expensive! Anyways, I look forward to more updates!
    I think you should swap your Velociraptors for a nice shiny SSD, you will notice a great improvment in performance.
    Good luck with everything!
    Loonym...You are missed.

The element of one

Breathe me in
    Breathe me in

I disbelieve in separation. I close my eyes to see you.
    This is for you, everything I am. This is for you, take it from me.
    I, I disbelieve separation. I close my eyes
    there's no escaping me
    This is for you, everything I am. This is for you, take it from me.
    In your heart in your soul. I perceive rejuvenation

Breathe me in. I am forever. Deep within I am eternal.

I will return to you. I am with you always. I will never turn away from you.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemic View Post
    Aaah, I just love that case! Its freggin HUGE! I always wanted the horizontal MB tray too (damn you RedFang! (BTW, looks like a Blood Angel, am I right?)). But the case costs an arm and a leg and the shipping to Sweden is...Just to expensive! Anyways, I look forward to more updates!
    I think you should swap your Velociraptors for a nice shiny SSD, you will notice a great improvment in performance.
    Good luck with everything!
    It is painted like a Blood Angel, but it's a Space Wolf. I call it a Blood Wolf. I have one 128GB SSD in my Air Cooled rig, but my gaming rig already has the two 300GB each Velociraptors, and they are loaded up with data, which I don't really want to lose XD, even to gain a little more speed. Not to mention 300GB SSD are EXPENSIVE.

Xtreme Member
    Alright I am looking to buy the new Liquid Cooling parts for the upgrade very soon (like today). I have two silver kill coils in my current set up, and I noticed one of them has little black spots on it, but I haven't see any silver flakes floating around inside.

Should I get new silver or will the black spots rub off when I take the kill coil out? I didn't want to investigate until I swap around the set ups, and it doesn't seem to be slowing my system down at all, just curious.

I know currently my system only has Copper and Brass, and as far as I know the parts I will be ordering also only have copper and or brass. So I've been using Distilled Water and Silver Kill Coil. I may be getting paranoid but are there any low cost things to add to the distilled water, or a recommended fluid, I don't want to spend $100 on fluid to fill my system >.<

Xtreme Member
    Woohoo! So, I just ordered my parts!

2x Bitspower Laing DDC Pump Replacement O-Ring
    2x Feser X-Changer 360 Radiators
    15x Antec 120mm Blue LED Fans
    4x Antec 80mm Blue LED Fans
    1x Bitspower Black Sparkle Multi-Link Adapter w/ Crystal Link Tube for 2-Slots (I am hoping that the 14mm Crystal Link Tube with the adapters will be short enough to connect my 295s together, since the distance between them is 19mm and standard SLI adapters are just too long.
    20ft Koolance 13mm Blue Tubing
    2x EK DDC X-RES 140 Version 2
    1x Koolance 360 Rev1.1
    6x Sunbeam Multi-fan Power Port
    2x Feser Base Corrosian Block (50ml)
    15x 120mm Fan Grill Black
    4x 80mm Fan Grill Black

I was going to swap out my MB blocks for Enzotech, but the funding just wasn't there, and I >.> got tired to waiting for something I really didn't need to change seeing as my Koolance set it working perfectly.

Now I have a 360 for my GPU, a 360 for my CPU and a 360 for my MB

Xtreme Member
    sounds great!
    i'll keep my eye on this one.
    i love the MM mods!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

EVGA SR-2 , 2X Intel Xeon 5620, 12X2GB Corsair Domminator 1600 MHZ CL7
    3X GTX580, Corsair AX1200, Lian Li PC-Z70
    3X Dell U2311H, Liliput 7" touchscreen monitor

Xtreme Member
    :0 I almost forgot that I don't have a flow meter, so I ordered two. :P since I am running two loops.

2x Koolance INS-FM17

Rad1>Res>Pump>CPU>Rad2>Flowmeter>MOSFET>MOSFET>NB/SB>Rad1

Rad3>Res>Pump>GPU1>GPU2>FlowMeter>Rad3

Xtreme Member
    Looking good, and nice to see a WH40k fan on here

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RedFang300 View Post
    :0 I almost forgot that I don't have a flow meter, so I ordered two. :P since I am running two loops.

2x Koolance INS-FM17

Rad1>Res>Pump>CPU>Rad2>Flowmeter>MOSFET>MOSFET>NB/SB>Rad1

Rad3>Res>Pump>GPU1>GPU2>FlowMeter>Rad3
    I don't have a flow meter or a temperature sensor ordered yet. Not sure how to properly install them or which ones to get, so I'm waiting on that for the moment.

Xtreme Member
    NEWS UPDATE: I woke up Saturday Morning to get a email from Performance PC saying that the cable sleeving is taking a bit long, and if I wanted the items shipped out by COB Friday I would have to take the 19 fans I ordered or a large portion Unsleeved. Those that don't know, Performance PC pretty much sleeves all the fans they sells, almost any color too.

I email them as say sure go ahead, seeing as I am in Japan and Saturday Morning might still be early enough to catch them before COB. Well turns out I was one hour late. So I sent a second email saying that if they could ship the item on a Saturday do it unsleeved and if not ship it all when the sleeving is done.

Got a reply stating that they don't work on Saturday and the item will be shipped when the sleeving is done. "Alrighty" I said to myself as I closed the email.

Quote Originally Posted by urgrandpasdog View Post
    Looking good, and nice to see a WH40k fan on here
    ^.^ I am a WH40K fan, I read their books all the time, and I try to paint their models, even played a match or two. I loved Dawn of War and all the expansions. I hated Dawn of War 2. Warhammer 40K is about the ARMIES, not just a single squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolas View Post
    I don't have a flow meter or a temperature sensor ordered yet. Not sure how to properly install them or which ones to get, so I'm waiting on that for the moment.
    I thought about getting a T line and just plugging in a Temp probe, but I figured it was a waste of money, since all I plan on doing is gaming. True it's a lot of excessive hardware just to game on, but well I boned out $500 for the case figured I would at least fill it with stuff.

That and I want to protect my investment, and this monster box will hopefully do that for me. I only really ordered those flow meters because they are inline, but a odd U shape. I will find a open fan port and plug the wire into the mobo so I can monitor the flow, at least until I get that Koolance board thingy.

Xtreme Member
    UPDATE!

Performance PC emailed me again, and they are going to try and get the order shipped out by Wednesday since there are quiet a few fans that are being sleeved. I blinked when I read quiet a few fans, and then looked back at my order of 15x 120mm and 4x 80mm and I was like... I guess that's quiet a few

:| of course its like running around a padded room waiting for all my goodies, Its my birthday today and I had hoped to wake up and read a "order shipped" email.
    Last edited by RedFang300; 04-05-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Never go full retard
    Happy belated birthday RedFang!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    Happy belated birthday RedFang!
    Thank you very much, I just came back from my birthday dinner, it was at this place I never been, full course it was amazing. Best part is my friend paid for me. Good because with all this liquid cooling costs I would have had budgeted for ramen noodles.

I had a room inspection today and the inspector asked me how much I have invested in my computers, and I was like... that one $7000, that one, $4000 to $5000. She got mad because I didn't have renters insurance on my stuff, does anyone else have renters insurance, and if so how do you do proof of ownership on something you no longer has receipts for?

:P

Ugh... dinner I am slowed down by awesome meal. Nothing new till my parts ship.

Xtreme Mentor
    Thank you very much, I just came back from my birthday dinner, it was at this place I never been, full course it was amazing. Best part is my friend paid for me. Good because with all this liquid cooling costs I would have had budgeted for ramen noodles.

I had a room inspection today and the inspector asked me how much I have invested in my computers, and I was like... that one $7000, that one, $4000 to $5000. She got mad because I didn't have renters insurance on my stuff, does anyone else have renters insurance, and if so how do you do proof of ownership on something you no longer has receipts for?

:P

Ugh... dinner I am slowed down by awesome meal. Nothing new till my parts ship.
    For us its pretty hard because its usually associated with serial numbers. So we must record every single sn in a custom build. I didn't know how to record my wc loop worth $500 in the computer. Best bet is too hunt for a great company.

Never go full retard
    Its actually quite easy (well, was for me when I rented) since I kept itemized lists of everything and the purchase and replacement (equivalent in current market) costs. Just have that available in a worst case scenario, but be sure to claim it under your renters insurance. On the other hand, the 6ft iguanas were a bit tougher to get covered under insurance since their habitat was a fire hazard.

Another belated Happy Birthday, RedFang.

Waiting for more pics

Xtreme Member
    I am waiting to take more pics

Umm, I just realized something. I got regular black metal fan guards, because I like my fingers.

HOWEVER!!!! I didn't get any fan filters. There is a local computer store here that sells magnetic fan filters that just clip onto your case metal and over the fan, and when you need to clean the filter you just take it off. It isn't the best, and they don't even have much stock.

So I am looking for fan filters for all of my intake fans, I would like detachable, but not really sure. I just know I do not want my Radiators to be clogged with dust.

Xtreme Member
    UPDATE!

So It's 0440 Friday local time, I crawl from bed and check my email. MY PARTS SHIPPED. Best case scenario the parts will show up by next Thursday/Friday. That's the good news, but I start class next Tuesday which is going to be very homework intensive. So my updates will be slow. I will try and snap pictures when the package comes in.

Xtreme Member
    Good News and Bad News

Good News: All my parts came in!

Bad News: I just started a professional development coarse that is 20ish more days long, and it seems like every waking hour I am reading and working on projects or doing other things. So I will be either super slow or not even making any progress until I am done with this class. So bear with me about the spotty updates. End of May time frame will be golden prime time for updates so just stay tuned.

Take your time!

School is important. You need it to get a job to pay for this computer

Good luck

Xtreme Member
    Here are some random build pictures, not in proper order or even tagged, enjoy

I did not use this... it didn't feel safe to me, and installing those two heavy cards with a little sliver of plexi... not going to happen.

Here are some random build pictures, not in proper order or even tagged, enjoy
    Just how I like 'em! good stuff. glad you found time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast