Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft's Courier 'digital journal'

Ok, excuse the ignorance here, but what exactly is this thing?
    At first I was thinking it was for reading ebooks etc, but with the posts in the thread, I'm a bit lost....

So is it for reading ebooks or is it a different styled tiny a** laptop? lol

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mursaat View Post
    I mean I don't like it's "two pages".
    I actually like it's two pages design, it gives the screen some extra protection in the same way a current laptop does. It also gives the device a more (paper) notebook like feeling/use.

@Katanai: The kind of applications that are available for Windows 7 just don't really work on a tablet device. Their interface is aimed to be used with a keyboard and mouse, which doesn't translate well to a tablet like device. You get a much better experience if the application is made to run on a pen and touch based tablet and that's what I hope a Courier like device will be able to pull off. We have to keep in mind though that Courier is still just a Microsoft Research product and what we're seeing right now might never get to market in the exact form they're currently demonstrating.

@IFMU: Just watch the two videos over at engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/m...s-and-de/?s=t5
    Then let your imagination run on what other possibilities such a device has, like properly doing math on a digital device and a nice agenda for example.
    Last edited by Helmore; 03-06-2010 at 06:15 PM.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    @IFMU: Just watch the two videos over at engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/m...s-and-de/?s=t5
    Then let your imagination run on what other possibilities such a device has, like properly doing math on a digital device and a nice agenda for example.
    Thanks, will do.

Xtreme Addict
    I really like the idea of this for a set of projects a group of us will be doing.

Does anybody know if it will support collaborative todo-lists ? (Not just sharing a todo list, but a shared todo list which updates on all Couriers at once.)

Xtreme Member
    Looks pretty dam cool in the videos but how is it in real time, gonna have to wait and see for this one. If it's as fast as the video "suggests", it's pretty amazing!
    Home PC: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz l Asus Maximus VI Hero l Corsair Dominator Plantinum 2400mhz (4x4GB) l Asus GTX 690 l Samsung 840 Pro 256gb l 2 x WD Black 1T storage drive l WD MyBook 500gb External l Samsung SH-S203N DVD l Creative X-Fi Titanium HD l Corsair AX1200 PSU l Planar SA2311W23 3D LCD Monitor l Corsair 800D Case l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l Sennheiser HD-590

Water Cooling Setup: Swiftech 320 Radiator (3 X Gentle Typhoons 1450rpm 3 x Gentle Typhoons 1850 rpm) l Swiftech Pump w/XSPC Res Top l Heatkiller 3.0 CPU Block l Heatkiller GPU-X GTX 690 "Hole Edition" Nickel l Heatkiller Geforce GTX 690 GPU Backplate l Koolance 140mm Radiator l Danger Den 1/2ID UV Green tubing l EK EKoolant UV Green Liquid

-Impossible is not a word

Xtreme Addict
    Yea I wonder how internet browsing will be. The iPod Touch / iPhone always advertised "the real internet" but I always felt it was a let-down in terms of compatibility with websites and performance. I hope this will be much better for that.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by yngndrw View Post
    I really like the idea of this for a set of projects a group of us will be doing.

Does anybody know if it will support collaborative todo-lists ? (Not just sharing a todo list, but a shared todo list which updates on all Couriers at once.)
    I can imagine there is an app for rememberthemilk.com in Windows Mobile, and you can share the account in all the Couriers you want.

I use Astrid for Android, and you can configure auto-synchronization with the website, loads of config options for tasks, etc.
    i7 2600k @4500 | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 | Gskill 2x4096Mb 2133Mhz | 4x2TB WD Green RAID10 | OCZ Vertex3 120Gb | 2x AMD 6950 @ Stock
    Benq 24" TN | Samsung LE46C630 "2nd" Monitor | Enermax NAXN ENP850EWT | Corsair 800D Case | Corsair H60 | Logitech G9x + Wireless Solar K750

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by mursaat View Post
    I can imagine there is an app for rememberthemilk.com in Windows Mobile, and you can share the account in all the Couriers you want.

I use Astrid for Android, and you can configure auto-synchronization with the website, loads of config options for tasks, etc.
    You already can do this with outlook. But the twist is, you need a exchange server.

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks guys,

I figured I could always just make a website for it, but rememberthemilk.com seems to do it all already.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have been wanting one since I saw it the first time. I would rather carry this around while I am designing away from my work, than a pad of paper and pens and pencils. As long as it has a decent program to use for this. The videos make it look more like doodling. I want it to be better than that.
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by yngndrw View Post
    Yea I wonder how internet browsing will be. The iPod Touch / iPhone always advertised "the real internet" but I always felt it was a let-down in terms of compatibility with websites and performance. I hope this will be much better for that.
    with tegra2 inside, i'm sure this will have full flash support which is what ipad users will miss most.

as a fabricator, this is my wet dream come true. take a picture of the equipment in question, sketch dimensions on the pic, begin drawing solution on grid paper, send to engineering.... start work by the end of the day instead of sometime next week. someone else was talking about the days of a spiral notebook, i still carry one but this device would replace that for sure!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12