Thread: How often to refresh tubing?

Xtreme Member

How often to refresh tubing?

Hello,

I've been running a water loop to cool my system for about 4 months now. However, I'm looking at re-plumbing it so that I can reduce the tube length, and move the radiator to a better position.

Problem is, I'm not sure whether to replace the tubing or not. Is 4 months heavy usage enough to warrant this? Something I've noticed aswell is that the tubing appears to have gone cloudy inside (Tygon R3603 7/16"). I'm using Primochill PURE Clear Non-UV coolant.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odai View Post
    Hello,

I've been running a water loop to cool my system for about 4 months now. However, I'm looking at re-plumbing it so that I can reduce the tube length, and move the radiator to a better position.

Problem is, I'm not sure whether to replace the tubing or not. Is 4 months heavy usage enough to warrant this? Something I've noticed aswell is that the tubing appears to have gone cloudy inside (Tygon R3603 7/16"). I'm using Primochill PURE Clear Non-UV coolant.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Mine's been in since August 2007 I think..
    Added 2-3 ounces of liquid last March and bingo..
    Of course I only look at cooling numbers not at "pretty"
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    I'm not at all surprised your Tygon tubing is clouding. This is a known problem, it's as a result of plasticizer leaching out of the tube walls and forming a nasty deposit. These days, the tubing of choice is the Primochill Pro-LRT. Great stuff. Just as flexible as 3603, doesn't kink as easily, and doesn't cloud.

In answer to the question of how often you need to refresh tubing, almost never. As pointed out above, the only issue with cloudy tubing is looks - your WC system will still run just fine.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm actually quite surprised, I was told the Tygon stuff was some of the best, and I was under the impression it was lab-grade tubing.

What exactly is the cloudiness? Is it a chemical reaction of the plasticizer with something in the coolant? I understand you say it will have no impact on performance, but won't "gunk" start to build up as a result? And will it have some sort of structural impact on the tubing?

Xtreme Member
    Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm actually quite surprised, I was told the Tygon stuff was some of the best, and I was under the impression it was lab-grade tubing.

What exactly is the cloudiness? Is it a chemical reaction of the plasticizer with something in the coolant? I understand you say it will have no impact on performance, but won't "gunk" start to build up as a result? And will it have some sort of structural impact on the tubing?
    Tygon is lab-grade (and sometime food-grade) tubing. The cloudiness is a result of plasticizer leeching out of the tubing. It won't gunk, though it will make your water cloudy. I don't know how it chemically affects the tubing, but I have never seen or heard of (even anecdotally) any tubing problems resulting from plasticizer leech.

Xtreme Mentor
    In time, a year+ the tubing will get stiffer as the placticiser leaches out.

The Tygon is food grade. So the chemicals it uses as 'tubing softeners' etc might not be as effective as, for example, Primochill LRT. It's NOT food grade. Stayed clear for me almost a year. On my rebuild I ran a rag through the hose. You could see a tiny leach of white something on the inside of the barb, micro mm thin and cleaned right up.

One thing different than many other tubing uses in the world, is we want soft pretty tubing and we recycle the water a billion times in a loop. Food grade tubing will pass materials on to another part of the process, we don't pass it on. The biggest reason we use clean clean water, no additives and drain/rebuild on a kinda accepted schedule.

The tubing we buy isn't 'just' for watercooling. But Promochill found a source or has made something much better suited for us. Tygon is great, but it's really made for other purposes.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Member
    OK, thanks a lot for your explanations guys.

So is the "strength" of the Primoflex just as good as the Tygon stuff? Not more likely to tear etc? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but just to be on the safe side.

Xtreme Member
    Primochill and Feser are the only tubings that I would even consider using on my wc rigs.
    MM H2gO - Win 7 Pro
    2 PA120.2 Thermochill
    MCP355 w/XSPC res top
    i5-2500k @ 5.0ghz w/Heatkiller 3.0
    Corsair HX850 - M IV Gene-z
    GTX 480 w/DD 480 ni/cu

Xtreme Mentor
    OK, thanks a lot for your explanations guys.

So is the "strength" of the Primoflex just as good as the Tygon stuff? Not more likely to tear etc? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but just to be on the safe side.
    Tubing doesn't tear. Goodness.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Member
    Thought so - I was just worried after seeing how much my BP compression fittings cut into my tubing and how thin the walls became.

It seems however that I won't be able to get hold of any Primoflex tubing after all (I am in the UK, and it will be expensive to order from the US). Could you reccommend any tubing that doesn't have the same clouding issue as the Tygon?

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    If you can only get Tygon, look at their "Food and Dairy" range. Not as flexible, but guaranteed plasticizer free. B-44-4X is the product code, I believe.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    Can you get feser tubing n the UK.
    Asus Rampage III Formula
    I7 970 (200x23=4610)
    EK Supreme HF Copper
    Swiftech 420 QP w/ (4) Scythe GT AP-15 (1850 RPM)
    Swiftech 355 w/ ek X-Top v2

(3) Asus 5850 (1050/1250/1.3v)
    (3) EK 5850 FC
    Swiftech 220 QP w/ (2) Scythe GT AP-15 (1850 RPM)
    Swiftech 355 w/ ek X-Top v2

Cosair HX850
    (3) 2GB Gskill F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
    (1) Intel X25-M G2
    (3) WD Black 1TB

Xtreme Member
    I'll take a look at the other Tygon tubing now.

I can get Feser tubing, but from the comparisons I can see, it kinks more easily?

Xtreme Member
    Dude, if you have any chance of your tubing kinking, just add in a 45. And feser/primochill is a lot stiffer than the old tygon i have sitting around. And let's not forget, tygon tubing was never made with watercooling in mind. Feser/primochill was.
    MM H2gO - Win 7 Pro
    2 PA120.2 Thermochill
    MCP355 w/XSPC res top
    i5-2500k @ 5.0ghz w/Heatkiller 3.0
    Corsair HX850 - M IV Gene-z
    GTX 480 w/DD 480 ni/cu

I am Xtreme
    Thought so - I was just worried after seeing how much my BP compression fittings cut into my tubing and how thin the walls became.

It seems however that I won't be able to get hold of any Primoflex tubing after all (I am in the UK, and it will be expensive to order from the US). Could you reccommend any tubing that doesn't have the same clouding issue as the Tygon?
    I know it's a bit OT but I'd like to know what is the O.D. size of the tubing and what size comps are you using?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

I'll probably give the Feser stuff a shot, I'm using anti-kink coils anyway. So does this tubing not cloud, like the Primochill?

@Waterlogged, I'm using 7/16" ID 5/8" OD tubing with the corresponding BP comp fittings.

I am Xtreme
    Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

I'll probably give the Feser stuff a shot, I'm using anti-kink coils anyway. So does this tubing not cloud, like the Primochill?

@Waterlogged, I'm using 7/16" ID 5/8" OD tubing with the corresponding BP comp fittings.
    Ah OK. I was curious if you had matched the sizes after seeing you mentioned the comps cut into your tubing. Did you crank them all the way down? A lot of ppl do that when it's not really necessary, a good snugness is all that's required.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    They sell it here in the UK

http://www.thewatercoolingshop.co.uk...3-4in.-OD.html

It looks very expensive though!

It costs over $7 per foot!

In the US it retails for around $2 - 3$

it is a remarkable mark up in price
    Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0
    WD SN850 1TB | Zotac Twin Edge 3070 @2055/1905, Alphacool Eisblock
    2 x Aquacomputer D5 | Eisbecher Helix 250
    EK-CoolStream XE 360 | Thermochill PA120.3 | 6 x Arctic P12

Xtreme Member
    Ah OK. I was curious if you had matched the sizes after seeing you mentioned the comps cut into your tubing. Did you crank them all the way down? A lot of ppl do that when it's not really necessary, a good snugness is all that's required.
    Ah. Yeah, I did unfortunately screw them all the way down, so that there was literally no gap between the two pieces. I'm a still a newbie though.

@Mongoled, thanks for that link, but unfortunately they don't do the 7/16" stuff I'm looking for.

It seems incredibly hard to find anything in that size, especially here in the UK. In the US there seems to be much more choice. And I've just found out that there is no Feser 7/16" tubing either.

So the only options I have left are XSPC, Masterkleer, and the Tygon R3603.

"I eat motherboards"
    The Durelene tubing Sidewinder sells is damn good if you're budget minded. On my second month with it and still clear as the day I received it.
    杰森
    I can picture in my mind a world without hate, a world without violence.
    And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.