Thread: # of Threads on Fitting

Xtreme Member

# of Threads on Fitting

So I was looking into a box of old watercooling parts and I came upon a fitting from my old Maze 4 block.

I saw that it had 4 full threads on it whereas newer fittings have less.

This got me wondering. Do newer blocks like the Apogee XT have fewer threads in them or have fitting manufactures decided that 2 threads are enough to properly connect a fitting to a component?

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

Xtreme Addict
    The shorter threads work properly, since they're only there to connect the fitting to a certain part. The actual sealing is done by the o-ring.
    The fitting with more threads might have trouble with thinner blocks, which allow fewer threads. Most well known example are the EK FC blocks. If the fitting has too much threads, it will hamper the flow through the block.

Xtreme Member
    I understand that the seal is made by the o-ring. I'm just wondering if it is easier to over-tightening and strip the block using fittings with shorter threads?

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

Xtreme Member
    Of course.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAgainstPaul View Post
    I understand that the seal is made by the o-ring. I'm just wondering if it is easier to over-tightening and strip the block using fittings with shorter threads?
    try it

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I forget where I read it, but most of Koolance new blocks recommend using Koolance fittings for thread depth purposes. Using improper fittings can lead to junky flow numbers. (And i'm using swifty barbs on a Koolance CPU-340 oops!)

I am Xtreme
    IIRC, the actual written standard for BSPP fittings works out to be 2-3 threads. DD Highflows have always used the "American standard" of "bigger is better".
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!