Thread: TSMC was licensed to build Atom SOCs, remember? but nobody seems to care...

Xtreme X.I.P.

Talking TSMC was licensed to build Atom SOCs, remember? but nobody seems to care...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...Customers.html

ouch...
    well it was a stupid move imo... intel shouldnt try to beat arm at its own game...
    you have to know your own weaknesses and strengths and play them right, just trying to beat everybody at their own game will make you stumble and fall over and over...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not terribly surprised, why change from ARM when it already works?
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

I am Xtreme
    Atom is just not as efficient just due to being x86. And there is already a lot of software that can utilise ARM chips.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i dont think x86 is atoms problem...
    it being based on netburst is a bigger limitation if you ask me

Xtreme Member
    Czech Republic, 50°4'52.22"N, 14°23'30.45"E
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    Eh, wtf?

Xtreme Addict
    Netburst? Atom has much more in common with the original Pentium architecture. You could just as well say it's based on the original Pentium architecture.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

c[_]
    Problem is the chipsets.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Problem is the chipsets.
    Care to elaborate?
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    Netburst? Atom has much more in common with the original Pentium architecture. You could just as well say it's based on the original Pentium architecture.
    1.6-2ghz, high clocks-low ipc, hyper threading, quad pumped fsb... that sounds like an original pentium to you?

i think even an original pentium at 1.6ghz with quad pumped fsb would have a higher ipc than atom... (per core, not with ht enabled of course)

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    p45m, and even poulsbo and pinetrails chipset part have at least the same tdp as the cpu cores themselves if not more... and they arent exactly performance monsters, so thats def a weird power budget balance...

i think thats what he means

Xtreme Member
    1.6-2ghz, high clocks-low ipc, hyper threading, quad pumped fsb... that sounds like an original pentium to you?

i think even an original pentium at 1.6ghz with quad pumped fsb would have a higher ipc than atom... (per core, not with ht enabled of course)

p45m, and even poulsbo and pinetrails chipset part have at least the same tdp as the cpu cores themselves if not more... and they arent exactly performance monsters, so thats def a weird power budget balance...

i think thats what he means
    But a big difference is that Netburst was an out-of-order architecture, while Atom is an in-order CPU.

Edit: found a nice read on Atom
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3276&p=1
    Last edited by Karolis; 03-01-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Czech Republic, 50°4'52.22"N, 14°23'30.45"E

Pentium M has quad FSB, too and it's still so far from Netburst as possible. Core and Core 2 also had quad FSB as a result it was based on Pentium M.

Atom has SMT because engineers probably thought it is worth the power (remember - 0,5% power must be at least 1% of performance). And I see it reasonable - Atom is so slow that even if it will be like a 1,5 core, it is still better (one core for system processes, half-core for others).