Thread: Apple is porting iPhone OS to x86?

Xtreme X.I.P.

Apple is porting iPhone OS to x86?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/...Platforms.html

sounds like it to me?
    they are only hinting at porting it, but what else would they want to port it to if not x86? sounds like apple might go for the next gen atom soc?

Xtreme Addict
    moorestown based iPhone
    i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.25v
    GTX 470 @ 859MHz 1062mv

Xtreme Addict
    I don't think "platforms" refer to x86, PPC, ARM etc in this context. Notebooks, desktop, smartphone, consoles... These are different platforms as well, aren't they?

Why would Apple port iPhone OS to x86? This would only make sense if they want to increase their market share (of the OS!) and licence iPhone OS to other manufacturers. Not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Helloworld_98 View Post
    moorestown based iPhone
    Apple owns PA Semi which developed the SoC in the iPad. Why would Apple use Intel's chips for the iPhone?
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme X.I.P.
    well not for the iphone maybe, but for their ipad?
    in the tablet/netbook form factor atoms next gen atom should be pretty competitive...
    when it comes to phones im pretty sure even the next gen atom will be too power hungry...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Apple owns PA Semi which developed the SoC in the iPad. Why would Apple use Intel's chips for the iPhone?
    I thought the SoC in the iPad was based on ARM cortex A9 and made by samsung.

therefore SoC wasn't developed, just refined and created.
    i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.25v
    GTX 470 @ 859MHz 1062mv

Xtreme Member

PA Semi did work with the PowerPC too so it might be a Power based architecture. No one really knows.

Xtreme Addict

Maybe there are language barriers here. The A4 is said to be based on licenced IP (Cortex and the GPU, dunno where they got that from) but they had to put everything together. What would you call that if not developing?

The manufacturing of the chip itself might be at Samsung.

Quote Originally Posted by therightway View Post
    PA Semi did work with the PowerPC too so it might be a Power based architecture. No one really knows.
    It won't be based on PPC. There's no reasonable argument to do so if you can get you hands on good and performant ARM-cores.
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 02-26-2010 at 05:49 AM.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

YouTube Addict
    So what? Windows NT 3.1 was initially developed using non-x86 development systems and then ported to the x86 architecture. This work was initially based on the Intel i860-based Dazzle system and, later, the MIPS R4000-based Jazz platform. Switching platforms and ISAs isn't a big deal if the code is well written.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Mentor
    Hopefully for All-in one desktop!
    I just used MS Wind for a while and while cool it is seriously hindered by W7.
    Feels kinda like working on win mobile a year ago.
    Now full familiar touch interface lots of people already know... that might be a winner!
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by XS Janus View Post
    Hopefully for All-in one desktop!
    I just used MS Wind for a while and while cool it is seriously hindered by W7.
    Feels kinda like working on win mobile a year ago.
    Now full familiar touch interface lots of people already know... that might be a winner!
    yes... it would be odd for apple to sell its iphone os for other phones and even laptops... but i wouldnt rule it out... if they can charge enough for it, that would be a very profitable move...

Xtreme Member
    I doubt apple will ever try that. They are a hardware company, software is only there to sell the hardware. And I believe that an horizontal strategy (ig WinMo/Android) doesn't work well for consumer grade products. By integrating your own software you gain many advantages : control, time to market, exclusive features and easier support).

What works so well for businesses makes a lot less sense for consumers. Consumers don't care if their devices are closed or not provided they get what they feel as good value from it.

Xtreme Member
    Considering that the iPhone OS is just a port of MacOSX, this entire topic is ancient history, not news.

Apple is going to push their iPhone non multitasking os on your netbook and then call it the menstrual absorber with an i

Xtreme Addict
    gives them the freedom of having next gen ipads with atom cpu's
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

I don't see that happening, there's no reason to move to x86 from ARM for mobile devices and iPhone OS.

Apple want to control everything, they've got P.A. Semi now, iPhone OS is a success on ARM etc.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sounds more like development for new A4 based products to me. Refresh of the apple tv perhaps?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    Sounds more like development for new A4 based products to me. Refresh of the apple tv perhaps?
    beat me to it, just about to post some speculation about an atom based iTv.... maybe with a few large hard drives for home server functions....

oh wait, that last bit would make the device useful... nevermind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Add on xbmc and the apple tv is a nice, if not underpowered, little guy

Xtreme Member
    Why would you want to run that piece of trash on a platform that can run a full-featured OS?

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by urgrandpasdog View Post
    Why would you want to run that piece of trash on a platform that can run a full-featured OS?
    stupidity, pride, arrogance, hubris...
    Any of which are highly likely....
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    sounds like it to me?
    they are only hinting at porting it, but what else would they want to port it to if not x86? sounds like apple might go for the next gen atom soc?
    Where did you read that?
    The article says no such thing.
    I think this is either: a) they are planning to adopt it to some new, faster hardware (GPUs?), which is very different from what they are using at the moment (notice that the current hardware is too slow for flash, for example, and is lagging behind the other top-end phones and smartbooks) or b) they are trying to move all of their devices (but actual Macs) to the 'unified' iPhone OS.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Where did you read that?
    The article says no such thing.
    I think this is either: a) they are planning to adopt it to some new, faster hardware (GPUs?), which is very different from what they are using at the moment (notice that the current hardware is too slow for flash, for example, and is lagging behind the other top-end phones and smartbooks) or b) they are trying to move all of their devices (but actual Macs) to the 'unified' iPhone OS.
    well they said:
    “The Core Platform team within Apple’s Core OS organization is looking for a talented and inspired manager to lead a team focused on bring-up of iPhone OS on new platforms."
    gpu definately doesnt sound like new platform to me...

they want to port the iphone os to a new platform...
    they already have an x86 os, but thats the full blown thing... and cutting that down might be more work than porting the already optimized iphone os to x86 i guess?
    idk, it doesnt make that much sense... cutting down their x86 os sounds more reasonable than porting their cut down arm os to x86...

they already have an os for x86 and one for arm...
    x86 is full features... arm is spcialized for mobile...
    now they want to port the mobilized os to something other than arm... porting it back to x86 actually doesnt make sense...
    but what other platform could they mean then?

maybe PA semi cooked up something new which isnt based on arm?
    there were rumors about that before...
    Last edited by saaya; 02-28-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by urgrandpasdog View Post
    because their "full featured" os has support for flash, java, python..... things for watching tv, movies, and playing games on line for free. apple would rather you paid for them through the app store and itunes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hey, thats a good point... i never thought about that... maybe thats why apple is not supporting flash?
    because there is lots of free content, video games and audio on the internet, available through flash?

This is exctly what apple is affraid of. iPhone 3gs can run 3d games with emulated physics why the he'll would it not be able to run vector animation with simple ool? Well the answer is it can. But apple is affraid of opening a can of worms with flash support. 1) it's a direct competitor to their app store because iPhone is not a smart phone as apple claims it's a gaming device. Ask your self when was the last time you played a paid for flash game? 2)with flash they will have no excuse not to allow competition to mobile safari.

Maybe apple plans to one up the ipad :p lol