Thread: noob question: velociraptor w/ no heatsink

Xtreme Addict

noob question: velociraptor w/ no heatsink

im building a small lan rig and i have a few velociraptors i want to use. does anyone have any experience with using these without the heatsink? i have already taken them off the heatsink for mock up but i havent tested how hot it operates.

my main question is do you think i will be safe running them with out a heatsink, its going to be mounted to a piece of aluminum so ill put some thermal pads on the bottom to help dissipate heat and there will be good air flow.

thanks in advanced.

Banned
    u can check this out,
    they basically say there is another version for the VR in 2.5" coming without heatsink and sold by WD.
    and this guy says he has tested it and the drive didn't get that hot.

you've got software like active@disk monitor & hard disk sentinel which monitor u'r HDD temps.
    activate them and play with u'r drive a bit to get the maximum temps it gets after u check with u'r drive specs.
    Last edited by onex; 02-24-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    im betting its probably fine as long as its got some air running across it...
    SYSTEM
    i5-3750K @ 4.6ghz - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - 16GB Samsung DDR3 - Sapphire R7 370 Nitro 4GB
    Water Cooling
    EK Supremecy - DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top -Swiftech MCR320-QP - EK Multioption 150

With good airflow, I'd be amazed if it had trouble.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    great, all good news. thanks all

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    The VR's don't need heatsinks. Without any TIM or thermal pads there, heat transfer from the drive to the larger heatsink is very limited anyway - the main reason they come in that ginormous caddy thing is so they're the same size as regular 3.5" drives, and can be mounted as such.

As an added bonus, the drives are significantly quieter without being strapped into those giant thingummies. Much less resonance.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism