Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Steam UI. What's your take?

Xtreme Gamer

New Steam UI. What's your take?

Just about everyone uses it, or forced to. What do you think of the new layout and features?

http://store.steampowered.com/uiupdate/

I personally think the in-game menu is much improved.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    it isnt forced yet, thanks for the tip, just opted in to the beta... and im getting a "cannot contact steam service"...

SOUNDS good though
    game categories should have been there a long time ago

EDIT got it now, while the new features are nice (alphabetical list of ALL games, installed or not, really makes me realize how much i have to do) the actual STYLING of the UI is a bit too much.
    Last edited by AndrewZorn; 02-23-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Addict
    Meh. I agree that the old Steam was starting to feel slightly dated, but the lost some functionality and simplicity with the update.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme
    new in game web-browser is so much better
    System:
    2600K / 8GB Corsair Vengeance PC15000
    Asus Sabertooth P67 / MSI Twin Frozr II 6950 Crossfire
    corsair 1000hx / Corsair 800D obsidian
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD / Windows 7 Pro
    Cooling:
    Koolance 360 rev 1.1 CPU block / MCR320 QP rad
    OCZ hydropulse 800 pump w/ EK-DCP 4.0 res
    Primochill LRT Black tubing 3/8" ID x 5/8" OD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ex2cib View Post
    new in game web-browser is so much better
    It uses a WebKit instead of IE, it's normal then
    i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz/Maximus IV Extreme
    2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866
    HD5870 1GB PCS+/OCZ Vertex 120GB +
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Corsair HX850/HAF 932/Acer GD235HZ
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Sennheiser PC-350 + Corsair SP2500

Xtreme Cable Management Freak
    I actually like it alot now, i feel like its easier to navigate and gives you more information about.... everything..
    Project: HeadShot
    Intel i7 3770k | Corsair H100
    EVGA GTX-590 Classified | XSPC GTX 590 Waterblock
    Gigabyte G1.Sniper 2 MotherBoard | Swiftech MCR-320 Res/Rad/Pump
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Ram
    Crucial M4 128GB / Intel X25-M 160GB / WD 1TB Black
    Corsair AX850W PSU
    27" Apple Cinema Display (2560x1440)
    Corsair 600t White
    Picture

You best be Crunching and Folding/GPUgrid'ing!

Xtreme Member
    I like the sleekness of the new UI, but it is still very slow (maybe steam servers are hammered) atm. Switching between different menus seems to take 5-10 seconds every time you do it.
    MM H2gO - Win 7 Pro
    2 PA120.2 Thermochill
    MCP355 w/XSPC res top
    i5-2500k @ 5.0ghz w/Heatkiller 3.0
    Corsair HX850 - M IV Gene-z
    GTX 480 w/DD 480 ni/cu

Xtreme XIP
    Loving it

Xtreme Member
    its not bad, but a feature that I would really like is a vista/7 sidebar gadget. Just a list of friends online, and quick access to my most-played games.

Xtreme Mentor
    popup menu strings are not displaying. also it did something to my mw2 so that it start downloading it again. going back to old steam doesnt fix that i am downloading it.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Addict
    Smoother looking, but the buttons aren't where i'd like them to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    Smoother looking, but the buttons aren't where i'd like them to be.
    Well put.

It looks better than the old, but the old was/is more functional (imo ).

Xtreme Addict
    Installing now.

There was nothing wrong with the old UI...

EDIT: I like it, its just slow...
    Last edited by RAW-Raptor22; 02-24-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My brother loves it but I much prefer just sticking a skin onto the normal layout, I use Night Gamer myself. Hopefully they will allow people to still use the current layout instead of updating after it's beta finishes.

Xtreme Mentor
    ok after re installing mw2 fixing menu text problem it seems ok to me.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I like it actually looks a lot better.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Addict
    I like it alot. Looks much better than the previous one, which is looking very dated.

While I'm sure everyone will have their own opinions, here is mine:

Attractiveness: Improvement
    Information Detail: Improvement
    Social Integration: Improvement
    Layout Efficiency: Reduced to a minor extent, but it doesn't matter. I have a 24" monitor.
    Speed: Unchanged

I'm not sure what people are experiencing when they call it slow. It runs just fine for me. I click and stuff happens just like it always did. There isn't anything about the new UI that I don't like, other than how it makes Steam crash some times.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It is slower. Takes like 5 - 10 seconds to switch pages now and when launching a game, it sits there for a good 30 seconds to a minute doing nothing before launching it.

The UI is a lot better, but i've gone back to the old one as the new one is simply too slow in its current form.

Xtreme Addict
    Mine is slow too but not even close to THAT slow.

Quote Originally Posted by orangekiwii View Post
    It is slower. Takes like 5 - 10 seconds to switch pages now and when launching a game, it sits there for a good 30 seconds to a minute doing nothing before launching it.

The UI is a lot better, but i've gone back to the old one as the new one is simply too slow in its current form.
    That simply does not reflect my experience. I'm not sure what would make yours so much slower, either, since I don't run a high clock speed or anything. 2.2 GHz
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    Yes thanks for the share ill have to try this out.

Xtreme Member
    Love it, fresh air in allways open steam for me .
    Phenom II x6 1055T | ASRock 880G Ex.3 | 560Ti FrozrII 1GB| Corsair Vengeance 1600 2x4GB | Win7 64 | M4 128GB

VR Box - i5 6600 | MSI Mortar | Gigabyte G1 GTX 1060 | Viper 16GB DDR4 2400 | 256 SSD | Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I like it, had no issues with it
    ASUS Sabertooth P67B3· nVidia GTX580 1536MB PhysX · Intel Core i7 2600K 4.5GHz · Corsair TX850W · Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    8GB GSKill Sniper PC3-16000 7-8-7 · OCZ Agility3 SSD 240GB + Intel 320 SSD 160GB + Samsung F3 2TB + WD 640AAKS 640GB · Corsair 650D · DELL U2711 27"

Xtreme Member
    I like the new look, but its like they hated the original steam and replaced everything familiar about it sans the menu (window selection) drop-down. Also the ingame UI looks horrid. So much useless data to see all at once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast