Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electricity-in-a-box, the future of eco-friendly energy?

Pump a liquid metal through a magnetic field and you will induce a current. I believe the Russians were the first to try this. It is called MHD. Link to it in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHD_generator

You could use this for your space Rx.

no sleep, always tired TheGoat Eater's Avatar

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well, to anyone that doubts about the reliability, I don't think that will be a major concern.

Google, Walmart, eBay, and even the CIA are all using this new technology. They seem to be happy with it so far.

But now the major obstacle is lowering the price, from 700k all the way down to 3k won't be possible anytime soon.
    Bloom Energy is developing Power Purchase Agreements to sell the electricity produced by the boxes, rather than sell the boxes themselves, in order to address customers' fears about box maintenance, reliability and servicing costs.
    - Wikipedia

That might work.
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Addict
    I don't know. Either way, you're still consuming hydrocarbons.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Member
    Aerostat wind/solar power farms and fusion power plants are the future power sources, fossil fuel power generation should become a thing of the past (finally)!

But for the industry this might be good to reduce emissions for the short term, might become the iPod for big companies to show off their 'greenness'. In the end, it's a good development to reduce independence and reduce harmful emissions with a cost-effective product. But again, it's not the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    It was shown alright.Charlie was right .
    hes only have as bad as a broken clock, whos right 2x a day.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't see anything special about this. The whole stunt about unveiling a little bit of sand to say - this is how we make the silicon! Was somewhat ... yeah.

Old technology, but this man is certainly a good salesman.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    I don't see anything special about this. The whole stunt about unveiling a little bit of sand to say - this is how we make the silicon! Was somewhat ... yeah.

Old technology, but this man is certainly a good salesman.
    No, if price can be lowered, we can actually have "clean, efficient" energy.

A box that's about a size of a Lian Li V351 case can power the whole house.
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Fuel cells are old... i'm willing to bet my left nut that this thing won't take off
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by oohms View Post
    Fuel cells are old... i'm willing to bet my left nut that this thing won't take off
    I will be back to call you on this bet when the time comes....
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Mentor
    This is going to use fossil fuel. Maybe they can make a bit cleaner than other too-polluting scenarios, but we need renewable energy.
    But look at the PR-team, these guys means business.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Xtreme Member
    This could be a new beginning for FCHEV's though. For a range extender this is a very very small and power efficient option and you can use liquid fossil fuels which has the infrastructure compared to hydrogen.
    Last edited by dieqast; 02-26-2010 at 04:40 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dieqast View Post
    This could be a new beginning for FCHEV's though. For a range extender this is a very very small and power efficient option and you can use liquid fossil fuels which has the infrastructure compared to hydrogen.
    No, this wont be used in vehicles. Did you see how many stacks make up a system? Besides, its an SOFC design, they operate at extreme temperatures, 500-1000C, not something you'd be putting in your car.

Xtreme Mentor
    So a company with a concept of talking regular people massively of the grid?
    LOL! I'm looking forward to seeing how far they will come with their plan until someone stomps them...
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I dunno,car makers have been toying with the fuel cell ideea for some time now but electric engines are now I think the way to go for the car industry since most of them have invested and have vehicles in the prototype or consumer version equipped with this technology.
    Well,energy companies can buy these fuel cells and provide power for the grid through them for communities,maybe even improve efficiency,I dunno if this is the way but it's sure a good step to the right way.
    Last edited by XS2K; 02-26-2010 at 05:50 AM.
    Before you complain about lag, think about Jesus. He lagged three days before respawning.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by XS2K View Post
    I dunno,car makers have been toying with the fuel cell ideea for some time now but electric engines are now I think the way to go for the car industry since most of them have invested and have vehicles in the prototype or consumer version equipped with this technology.
    Well,energy companies can buy these fuel cells and provide power for the grid through them for communities,maybe even improve efficiency,I dunno if this is the way but it's sure a good step to the right way.
    The type of FC being made here is a Solid Oxide Fuel Cell. They operate at very high temperature (500-1000C), and as such can use hydrocarbons and non-platinum catalysts to operate. They are NOT for vehicle use. In cars we'll be using Polymer Electrolyte Membrane fuel cells(PEMFC), which operate under 100C, and can run on H2 or methanol(which can be a Carbon neutral biofuel) rather effectively.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
    The type of FC being made here is a Solid Oxide Fuel Cell. They operate at very high temperature (500-1000C), and as such can use hydrocarbons and non-platinum catalysts to operate. They are NOT for vehicle use. In cars we'll be using Polymer Electrolyte Membrane fuel cells(PEMFC), which operate under 100C, and can run on H2 or methanol(which can be a Carbon neutral biofuel) rather effectively.
    500-1000C and decreasing, that is (thanks Wikipedia).DMFC's 40% 'effectively', far from SOFC efficiency ratings. A stack the guy can hold in his hand can power a household, why couldn't that trickle charge a car? I agree with you PEMFC might be a better option if the fuel infrastructure would be available. A fuel cell that could run on a fuel that already has an infrastructure (like petrol, diesel) is more interesting though, despite certain drawbacks.

BTW, FC vehicles have electric motors, it's a common mistake. The difference is batteries or a fuel cell + fuel for energy storage.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dieqast View Post
    500-1000C and decreasing, that is (thanks Wikipedia).DMFC's 40% 'effectively', far from SOFC efficiency ratings. A stack the guy can hold in his hand can power a household, why couldn't that trickle charge a car? I agree with you PEMFC might be a better option if the fuel infrastructure would be available. A fuel cell that could run on a fuel that already has an infrastructure (like petrol, diesel) is more interesting though, despite certain drawbacks.

BTW, FC vehicles have electric motors, it's a common mistake. The difference is batteries or a fuel cell + fuel for energy storage.
    The only way they decrease the operating temp is to increase catalytic effectiveness, and that takes time and money. A DMFC is quite efficient for what it is, and before methanol was ousted for ethanol, it would have made a lot of sense. That stack he's holding is part of a group of stacks. A single stack like that couldn't power a home. Why would you want to trickle charge an electric car with a hydrocarbon??

As for using the current infrastructure, you could reform the fuels, but then you'd probably negate all the efficiency rewards in the process.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    Interesting technology, but until they figure out how to manufacture this technology using something far cheaper than palladium, it's just not going to catch on.

Every day we're finding out more and more about how "global warming" alarmists have lied, manufactured scientific data, and destroyed critical data. In the past few weeks alone, the top UN climate scientist quit conveniently after Phil Jones, the University of East Anglia scientist who played a key role in the "Climate-Gate" e-mail scandal went on the record with the BBC and told the world that we've been cooling for 15 years AND temperatures were hotter during the mid-evil warm period. Probably substantially warmer.

Oh yeah, and it turns out that Obama's top climate change guy suppressed data while at NOAA and a few other agencies. He's the guy who shared the Nobel Prize with Al Gore. Seeing a connection here?

And to top off this last weeks events, it turns out the climatologists who added the "scientific study" on melting polar ice to the UN's fourth assessment report were found to be "fabricating data" and subsequently retracted their entire study from the report.

The vast majority of catalytic converters use platinum as the main catalyst component (about 5 grams on average) as well as about a gram of Rhodium.

Sounds like you just read the same wiki page as me.

Dude, links please! I know some of that data, but always have a hard time locating proof...

Even though I don't believe in global warming () I'm all for alternate sources of fuel. With the world industrializing and more people getting access to electricity and cars, it becomes even more important to find alternate ways to produce electricity.

While I don't think this is a solution by any means, it's a good step. If it's more efficient at producing/distributing electricity than our current methods AND it cuts harmful emissions, I support it.

And just my about our energy future: Fossil fuels are currently a necessity. We're not going to get off them in the foreseeable future. It would be completely uneconomical to tear down existing infrastructure, and despite what anyone believes about global warming, it won't happen all over the world. The only way we'll get off them is to replace outdated and decommissioned plants with newer facilities (probably mostly nuclear if we can ever get people over their irrational fears) and satisfy growing demand with renewable/nuclear sources. Eventually we will find a way to use renewable for the majority of our needs, but I'd be surprised (happily) if that was in my lifetime, and I'm only 19. We've got a long way to go to be sustainable without Fossil fuels, and even longer till we're completely renewable, but if we start taking the steps now, we'll get there.

// end rant

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Member
    This goes offtopic, and I don't really know anything about what I'm talking, but just came to my mind that those laser thingies that Buckey talked about... Couldn't they be used with railguns? I recall watching a document of the modern weapons and they had a railgun with huge capacitor pack that took lot of time to get charged. But capacitors can take big amounts of electricity in a very short time, so could they charge those capacitors in a split second with that laser technology...? Or, would they even need the capacitors, just hook that (I dont know what to call it -laser) directly to railgun and the round per sec for the weapon goes way up? (I don't have a clue how long it takes the laser to operate...)

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by Meizuman View Post
    This goes offtopic, and I don't really know anything about what I'm talking, but just came to my mind that those laser thingies that Buckey talked about... Couldn't they be used with railguns? I recall watching a document of the modern weapons and they had a railgun with huge capacitor pack that took lot of time to get charged. But capacitors can take big amounts of electricity in a very short time, so could they charge those capacitors in a split second with that laser technology...? Or, would they even need the capacitors, just hook that (I dont know what to call it -laser) directly to railgun and the round per sec for the weapon goes way up? (I don't have a clue how long it takes the laser to operate...)
    Lasers are energized by capacitor banks just like rail guns. Capacitors = high current, potentially high voltage, short duration.

Moral Police
    sorry if I'm going to sound pretentious and whatnot,...

but ... if only the video editing and atmosphere in US Programs (like 60 minutes) didn't feel so dam "Fake" and unnatural I could actually believe it...

but with the host being so obviously "fake" and unsympathetic the entire story just completely goes to shambles and all I can think while watching that is :

"what a cow...."

Xtreme Addict
    This is a very interesting technology, but a lot of questions remain. Fuel consumption quantity is still unknown, but a relatively small cost savings have been noted, definitely insufficient savings to justify the price of such a device. Emissions quantities are another unknown, as is long term reliability and future maintenance costs. Such a device, if made portable and much cheaper, could definitely find value in portable electricity generation and backup power supply and has the potential to be a main power source to a home if it's proven reliable enough and fuel availability in the region is adequate and inexpensive.

A promising technology, but it still has a long way to go to become mainstream.
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12