Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am a glutton for punishment...

Xtreme Member

I am a glutton for punishment...

I JUST (as in last week) finished a big rebuild into a new case and going back to watercooling...

and now I need to tear it all down to take out my graphics card (5850)... I "accidentally" sold it and got a good deal on a 4870x2 with full cover block.

Why you might ask? I have no idea...

To try to keep this on topic, how many times do you tear down your loops? I seem to love watercooling, but I change parts too often!

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Seufar View Post
    Why you might ask? I have no idea...
    because u turned into a wannabe whore since u joined this forum... and now u want to graduate newbie, and run with the rest of us real whores?
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Mentor
    LOL! We don't just drink water, we put in close proximity to $1000s of hardware and don't blink an eye when we make the smoke come out.

Me? Besides the 6 month drain/fill and the annual rebuild, I tear it down once a year for a rebuild. In January I did my annual, added a new CPU block (the old one was more than fine), added new fans and rerouted hose to make it mo' betta'. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=635337

Late this summer I'll prolly upgrade my GPU to a DX11 monster.

But I'm not a pro addict like some. ^^^^^^^
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Don't know what you guys are talking about. I like to build a system and leave it be for a couple of years

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I constantly replace my parts in my comp.. im hoping watercooling will help deter that but I doubt it.

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Don't know what you guys are talking about. I like to build a system and leave it be for a couple of years
    ^this.

Aside from the occasional coolant drain & fill, sometimes I just don't pull a system apart... ever. My old Athlon XP rig is a good example of this.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    ^this.

Aside from the occasional coolant drain & fill, sometimes I just don't pull a system apart... ever. My old Athlon XP rig is a good example of this.
    I think shazza is joking...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seufar View Post
    I think shazza is joking...
    I don't.

Xtreme Mentor
    In the last two weeks I have pulled my setup apart at least 5 times to rearrange my loop and change the water cooling pumps.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Only half joking --- I try to keep my main rig up and running, then play around with a couple others

Banned
    well lately i have been upgrading. finally at a point where I have the hardware I'm going to keep for this year. (I only upgrade once a year because $$ are low but when I do I spend 1k cuz im an idiot). just waiting for some sleav and powersupply to get in. i have evrything set up temporarily, but will be ripping it down 2 or 3 more times till I get my desired look. after that (a 2month or so process) I will keep it that way till next year when I will probably only upgrade the gpu's. 2X4890's now next year DX11 cards will be cheaper and much more worth it game wise. its like a addiction though taking apart and putting back together. If I only had the time and patince to do it once but it would take weeks and my backup computer sucks.

Xtreme Member
    Part of why I am watercooling is so that it will be hard for me to overhaul my system down the road, protect me from myself.

We will see how well that actually works though lol (I can still upgrade the cpu and video cards esaily enough - want to keep that dual 5870 option open )
    Corsair 700D | Watercooled Maximus V Formula | Watercooled Core i7 3770k | 16GB DDR3 2133 HyperX | 2x EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI | 2x Intel 520 180GB RAID 0| Corsair AX1200

I'm pathetic too ... i've redone my system every weekend since Christmas ... (i.e. trying different loop configurations, different blocks, heck even the color of tubing ....) my wife is ready to divorce me. Ok, not really.
    Components
    »Obsidian 800D »CPU: Intel Core i7 965 »Motherboard: Evga X58 760 »Graphics: Evga GTX 480 »Memory: Corsair Dominator 12GB »PSU: Zalman ZM850-HP

Water cool parts
    »CPU Block: Koolance CPU-360 »GPU Block: Koolance VID-NX480 »M/B Block: Koolance MB-EVX58CF »Reservoir: EK Spin »Radiator: Feser XChanger 360 »Water Pump: 2xSwiftech MCP655/B w/ Bitspower Dual D5 Top »Tubing: Feser Black 1/2" ID »Fittings: Bitspower Shiny »Fans: 3 x Feser

Xtreme Member
    My girlfriend does not know how much my watercooling cost lol

I didn't either until I just added it up and wow....add up it does!
    Corsair 700D | Watercooled Maximus V Formula | Watercooled Core i7 3770k | 16GB DDR3 2133 HyperX | 2x EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI | 2x Intel 520 180GB RAID 0| Corsair AX1200

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    My old Athlon XP rig is a good example of this.
    gaww i need to get mine running again lol.. WCG on 1.7ghz single core lol

ASUS A7N8X-D For life!!

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    gaww i need to get mine running again lol.. WCG on 1.7ghz single core lol

ASUS A7N8X-D For life!!
    Sorry, Abit NF7-S v2.0 here with an XP2100+ running just a tick below 2.4GHz (at either 2V or 2.1V--can't recall)... cooled by an old WhiteWater.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by scook9 View Post
    My girlfriend does not know how much my watercooling cost lol
    Be glad that she doesn't. I'd be very afraid if she did .

And having watercooling to protect yourself from buying new parts, that's a pretty good excuse to be spending even more money on the watercooling .

Ω
    I was real sad when I added up how much (just in WC parts) everything ran me on my last project.
    Ω Raven Build Blog

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
    " Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" - In times of war, the law falls silent.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ohms View Post
    I was real sad when I added up how much (just in WC parts) everything ran me on my last project.
    There's only one way to drown that sadness.

MoAr watercooling!

I am Xtreme
    I try to pull the loop apart as little as possible, the longest i have ever had a loop running must be around 10 months or so.

Usually i tear it up every 3 months max.

Btw, not a bad swap from a 5850 to a 4870x2, the 4870x2 may be an older gen card but is still very powerfull! Pretty sure it's faster than a 5850 but it has a higher power consumption for sure.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The last time I tore apart my loop was when I started getting floaties in the water. Then I entrusted my computer to my parents while I skipped off to army training, so they probably FUBAR'd it by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    Started life as a FTW and ended up as a WTF.

Chasing After Diety
    Shazza i call shins..

I know you got a mild case of naekuhitis... And i know its getting significantly worse and worse as each year passes....

I stole a peak at your doctors reports.. :X

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Only half joking --- I try to keep my main rig up and running, then play around with a couple others
    lies shazz... we read the worklogs!!!

it's like every 10 months for new build... I used to make it a year, but not quite anymoar
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    it's like every 10 months for new build... I used to make it a year, but not quite anymoar
    pish..

i dont think i even hold onto cpu's longer then 6 months...

You think 10 months is bad...

The longest cpu ive held onto in the past 2 yrs, is my 975...
    That had a life of about 5 months, b4 i was given gulftown..

Theres a reason why i was given the title King of unfinished projects.

Xtreme Addict
    yous all sick masochists...
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast