Thread: Kingston SSDNow V (2nd Gen) 128GB SSD Review - JMicron JMF618 Makes an Appearance

Xtreme Mentor

Kingston SSDNow V (2nd Gen) 128GB SSD Review - JMicron JMF618 Makes an Appearance

Our storage guru takes a look at the revived SSDNow V Series (second generation) line. These drives sport Toshiba flash and a new controller from JMicron. We size up a 128GB model to see how it stacks up against the competition, as well as taking a look at the available Notebook Upgrade Kit.
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...e=expert&pid=1

I am Xtreme
    Its a shame they didn't compare it directly w/ the first generation SSDNow V that used the JM602.

I am Xtreme
    Very poor IOPS still, probably not a good purchase unless it's really cheap.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    On the upside, looks to be a decent drive if you have a RAID setup going - drives seem to hold up very well to fragmentation even w/o TRIM which we all know doesnt work under RAID

'Gaming' AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5GHz | Asus M5A97 | 16GB DDR3 2133MHz | GTX760 2GB + Antec Kuhler620 mod | Crucial m4 64GB + WD Blue 2x1TB Str
    'HTPC' AMD A8-3820 @ 3.5GHz | Biostar TA75A+ | 4GB DDR3 | Momentus XT 500GB | Radeon 7950 3GB
    'Twitch' AMD 720BE @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P | 4GB DDR3 | Avermedia Game Broadcaster

Desktop Audio: Optical Out > Matrix mini DAC > Virtue Audio ONE.2 > Tannoy Reveal Monitors + Energy Encore 8 Sub
    HTPC: Optoma HD131XE Projector + Yamaha RX-V463 + 3.2 Speaker Setup

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    or because this line has the only easy to find 512GB SSD.
    i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.25v
    GTX 470 @ 859MHz 1062mv

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    ~2500 IOPs which is far and above plenty for any home use, most enterprise 15000RPM sas drives do about 200 IOPs

This is probably the new value king for home users looking to pep up their Desktops/Laptops

I just wish they had a 64GB drive to compare as well.

SLC
    Pretty poor performance... I guess this will be really cheap.

Xtreme Addict
    Well...these drives are better than my four 30GB 602B-based OCZ Solid Series SSDs. The price looks pretty good too. Still, this drive is crap. Is this controller still ARM based?
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Member
    There was a chart in another site reviewing a JMF612 drive, I don't remember the site, but the maximum write latency on the drive was something like 2.6 seconds, it was very high. The drives from Indilinx, Samsung, Intel, etc, all were in the 3-400ms range for maximum latency, at worst.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Its a shame they didn't compare it directly w/ the first generation SSDNow V that used the JM602.
    For a comparation with the first generation you can look here (the article is in romanian but here is the Google Translate link).

Cheers,
    matose
    Born to lose, live to win!

Xtreme Mentor
    At its current price, its great for programs and storage. My current setup is an Intel X25M G2 for OS and drivers. This Kingston for programs and short term storage and a huge WD HDD for long term. All in all, makes for a fast and versatile system.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Xtreme Addict
    I have a Kingston G2 64gb SSD and it's pretty damn fast. No complaints.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Quote Originally Posted by Levish View Post
    ~2500 IOPs which is far and above plenty for any home use, most enterprise 15000RPM sas drives do about 200 IOPs
    Please note that I mean this lightheartedly:

As a lowly 15K user, I'd like to reference you to my lovely 350 IOPS in 4K random read and 2800 IOPS in 4K random read with a deep queue.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Please note that I mean this lightheartedly:

As a lowly 15K user, I'd like to reference you to my lovely 350 IOPS in 4K random read and 2800 IOPS in 4K random read with a deep queue.
    lol "lowly 15k user"

They're great drives!

I got ~240 IOPS at QD1 with 66% Read 33% Write (118 IOPS) of 100% Random 4k Files.

It was quite nice but still not comparable to my x25-m's which was around 2500-3500 depending on testing conditions (to be directly comparable to my numbers it would be 3500 IOPs still at QD1).

In the real world, the difference wasn't as large as I hoped across the board but it was still apparent. Probably the ideal situation to illustrate the difference: one game file check times went from 2-3 minutes at best to about 10 seconds tops, game loading times didn't fare so well, they only dropped by about 30% in most of the ones I timed.

Champion
    They're not so good ! In HDTune Write test the transfer rate fails at about 25% (see the pictures down the page) of the run due to the extreme heat from the controller. Didn't you noticed the 5.7W power demand? That's like a normal HDD!
    They have TRIM but not NCQ so if you set higher depth in IOMETER you will get the same result.
    A JMicron controller is still a crappy controller. Back to the drawing board guys....
    Born to lose, live to win!