View Poll Results: Any suggestion which BP fittings' color should I go for nickel plated water blocks?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Matt Black

9 64.29%
  • Shiny Silver

3 21.43%
  • Black Sparkle

2 14.29%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Mod Ascension "MMA"

Xtreme Member
    Wow! Sick work so far, keep it up!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxrabid93 View Post
    Wow! Sick work so far, keep it up!
    thankks

Xtreme Member
    Well couldnt find a way to join two fan wires to make them longer without soldering. At the end, I have no choice:

Xtreme Member
    Could anyone explain this?

I got 4 in 1 fan wires

and why does only one of them has three pins while other 2 has pins? Whats the purpose of yellow wire?

The one with black, red and yellow had a sticker attached "with fan speed signal"? I am scratching my head now. The reason I am asking this I just want to know what I am doing.

Xtreme Cruncher
    yellow is the rpm sensor wire
    Main: i7-930 @ 2.8GHz HT on; 1x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    2nd: i7-920 @ 2.66GHz HT off; 1x EVGA GTX 650 Ti SSC 100% GPUGrid
    3rd: i7-3770k @ 3.6GHz HT on, 3 threads GPUGrid CPU; 2x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    Part-time: FX-4100 @ 3.6GHz, 2 threads GPUGrid CPU; 1x EVGA GTX 650 100% GPUGrid

Xtreme Member
    Switch for fans LED

Last edited by marxviper; 06-08-2010 at 08:53 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by marxviper View Post
    Could anyone explain this?
    I got 4 in 1 fan wires

and why does only one of them has three pins while other 2 has pins? Whats the purpose of yellow wire?

The one with black, red and yellow had a sticker attached "with fan speed signal"? I am scratching my head now. The reason I am asking this I just want to know what I am doing.
    As stated above, the yellow wire is the RPM wire, it produces a signal via a hall effect sensor on the fan blades which is counted to produce RPMs, you can only sense one of your 4 fans correctly, wiring up 4 yellow in parallel will not work. Judging from your picture, it appears you have done everything correctly.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would suggest re-soldering the switch contacts. You have little balls of solder, what that looks like to me is you heated the solder but not the metal tab itself, so the solder did not "flow" onto the tab. It may feel solid now, but potentially unreliable.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post
    I would suggest re-soldering the switch contacts. You have little balls of solder, what that looks like to me is you heated the solder but not the metal tab itself, so the solder did not "flow" onto the tab. It may feel solid now, but potentially unreliable.
    Yeah, definitely resolder -- a little flux on the tab as well probably would help given the condition of the tab as it stands.
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.

Xtreme Member
    Also, make sure to heat the tab, not the wire. You should not be touching the iron directly to the solder but instead let the solder flow on to the tab and then on to the wire.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by randomhro View Post
    Also, make sure to heat the tab, not the wire. You should not be touching the iron directly to the solder but instead let the solder flow on to the tab and then on to the wire.
    Yup -- the solder should 'wet' or 'flow' into the tab/wire much like water wicking up into a paper towel.

Soldering is not hard, but it does take a bit of practice to get good at it.

Xtreme Member
    blue fans and white rad kinda goes well

LED wires extended and covered with heat shrinks

Switches with heat shrinks

Painted them white and messed up a bit, pics of bay drives gonna be uploaded later.

Joined the heat sensor wires together and they run faster now. Now I would just control the speed by the fan controller.

To Be Continued.....
    Last edited by marxviper; 06-15-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Xtreme Member

Xtreme Member
    [IMG]
    I hope you haven't installed this set of wires in this state. At a minimum cover those separately.

Also it looks like you have that wire too stranded. If you twist the end between your fingers and then create a crook in both wires you're connecting and loop them inside each other you can get a much cleaner solder joint. After that make sure to wrap them in electrical tape or something similar so that your case doesn't catch on fire from a short.

The joints you have there are gooped up with solder which indicates that you didn't get the wires hot enough to actually melt it evenly. It really just looks like that joint could break apart with a slight tug.

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    I'm pretty sure he's going to use heat shrink to cover it....
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    BenQ FP241W Black 24" LCD
    Mountain Mod Case w/ Base
    Asus Rampage III Black Edition
    i9-990x @ 4.58GHz - 1.36v Temps (Idle 23C - Load 48C)
    12GB Corsiar Dominator GT (PC3 15000) @ 9-9-9-24 1T - 1.65v
    Sapphire 5870 x3 "OC" w/ EK Water Block Temps (25C-49C)
    EK-Supreme / 4 Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump Ultras + Extras
    Power Supply / 2x Silver Stone DX1000
    Western Digital 1.0TB x 3
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by malkiewicz View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's going to use heat shrink to cover it....
    That won't keep the joint from coming apart and it won't make the connection any more solid. It will keep sparks from happening though

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    I agree.... He's learning...
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    BenQ FP241W Black 24" LCD
    Mountain Mod Case w/ Base
    Asus Rampage III Black Edition
    i9-990x @ 4.58GHz - 1.36v Temps (Idle 23C - Load 48C)
    12GB Corsiar Dominator GT (PC3 15000) @ 9-9-9-24 1T - 1.65v
    Sapphire 5870 x3 "OC" w/ EK Water Block Temps (25C-49C)
    EK-Supreme / 4 Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump Ultras + Extras
    Power Supply / 2x Silver Stone DX1000
    Western Digital 1.0TB x 3
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Xtreme Member
    I hope you haven't installed this set of wires in this state. At a minimum cover those separately.

Also it looks like you have that wire too stranded. If you twist the end between your fingers and then create a crook in both wires you're connecting and loop them inside each other you can get a much cleaner solder joint. After that make sure to wrap them in electrical tape or something similar so that your case doesn't catch on fire from a short.

The joints you have there are gooped up with solder which indicates that you didn't get the wires hot enough to actually melt it evenly. It really just looks like that joint could break apart with a slight tug.
    Thank you for your advice.

I did heat the wire up but I just put too much solder just to make sure. I tugged them really hard too. And they didnt break apart

I am planning to put heat shrinks on them (double heat shrinks)

By the way, how to clean the soldering iron? it takes ages to heat them up.

Xtreme Member
    That won't keep the joint from coming apart and it won't make the connection any more solid. It will keep sparks from happening though
    Quote Originally Posted by malkiewicz View Post
    I agree.... He's learning...
    I have you guys to teach me

Thanks

Xtreme Member
    By the way, how to clean the soldering iron? it takes ages to heat them up.
    Take an old sponge and drip some water on it. While it's hot quickly drag the tip of the iron along the sponge. You should be pulling the iron across the sponge. Also you may want to tin the iron, which means putting a little bit of solder on the tip of the iron before you start on a solder joint, just enough for the hot part to turn silver from solder. This will help you to find the hot part of the tip if it isn't a great iron and will make the actual melting of solder faster. When putting it into storage put a blob of solder on the tip to keep it from oxidizing, it will melt off easily the next time you go to heat it up.

Xtreme Member
    Take an old sponge and drip some water on it. While it's hot quickly drag the tip of the iron along the sponge. You should be pulling the iron across the sponge. Also you may want to tin the iron, which means putting a little bit of solder on the tip of the iron before you start on a solder joint, just enough for the hot part to turn silver from solder. This will help you to find the hot part of the tip if it isn't a great iron and will make the actual melting of solder faster. When putting it into storage put a blob of solder on the tip to keep it from oxidizing, it will melt off easily the next time you go to heat it up.
    Thanks for the tip

Xtreme Mentor
    Thanks for the tip
    Yep, what he described is called tinning the tip. You can also tin the wires before you actually try to make the solder joint itself.

Take one of the two wires you are wanting to join, dip it in some liquid flux not quite touching the insulation. Press the tip of the iron against the bare wire and hold your solder on the opposite side.

Whent he wire heats enough the flux will begin to bubble and the solder will melt and wick into the wire. The trick once you see the wicking action is to pull the solder away within a short amount of time to avoid 'flooding' the wire.

Do this to the other wire.

Tinning the wires holds the strands together firmly, I then lay the wires parallel, opposite facing and do about a 1/2 twist. I then touch the iron to the wires until the solder of the tinned wires melt. This welds them together without need for more solder. If it looks a bit weak, you could also touch the solder to the 1/2 twist as you heat it.

I will be doing the same thing as you are soon, if helpful I will post a play-by-play set of pix for you.

Jack

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the tip
    No problem, my parents are paying good money for my electrical engineering degree so I can post helpful comments for other people on forums

Xtreme Member
    No problem, my parents are paying good money for my electrical engineering degree so I can post helpful comments for other people on forums

Xtreme Member
    I need your opinion on this pic:

what do you think of this side panel of 5.25" bay?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast