View Poll Results: Any suggestion which BP fittings' color should I go for nickel plated water blocks?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Matt Black

9 64.29%
  • Shiny Silver

3 21.43%
  • Black Sparkle

2 14.29%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Mod Ascension "MMA"

Xtreme Member
    Update for today:

I got sleeves and heat sinks from mdcp. as you see I have a big smile on my face

Here are the pics:

After observing the blue heat sink, I think I would not be using it . Wish there was a darker heat sink same as the grand blue sleeve.

Last edited by marxviper; 03-02-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks good so far. With the metal make sure to give it a light scuff so the paint will bond better. A nice coat of primer is always good to give it a good base.

The other two wires are 5V I'm pretty sure so you don't want to use them. You can just splice the new fan into the wires and solder them together. Then use sleeving and heat shrink to seal and hide them. I used old connectors and made my own fan wiring harnesses.

As far as your intake and exhaust I'm a bit worried or maybe confused. Hot air rises so IMO you should have some fans up top to exhaust. What about a huge ass fan up there spinning slowly to exhaust everything? Please explain in a little more detail what you had planned for the fan situation.
    i7 970 4.0 Ghz 1.325v // Asus P6X58D Premium // Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit // 12gb Corsair Dominators // 2- GTX 580 Hydrocoppers in SLI// 2-OCZ Vertex 2 Raid//128Gb Corsair SSD (Temp Storage) // Custom Wall Mount Case // Corsair 1000W // SyncMaster 2433BW // Dual loops 2-laing 355's each with XSPC dual top // (UN) 3G Brackets & X-Brackets // Swiftech Apogee XT // 2 x 120.3 & 2 x 120.2 Swiftech Rads//

Wall Mount Build Log: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=242186
    MM Extended Ascension Build Log:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=212236[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by armeniandave View Post
    Looks good so far. With the metal make sure to give it a light scuff so the paint will bond better. A nice coat of primer is always good to give it a good base.

The other two wires are 5V I'm pretty sure so you don't want to use them. You can just splice the new fan into the wires and solder them together. Then use sleeving and heat shrink to seal and hide them. I used old connectors and made my own fan wiring harnesses.

As far as your intake and exhaust I'm a bit worried or maybe confused. Hot air rises so IMO you should have some fans up top to exhaust. What about a huge ass fan up there spinning slowly to exhaust everything? Please explain in a little more detail what you had planned for the fan situation.
    Thank you for your suggestion.

there 6 fans on the front intaking fans in.
    5 fans at the back...
    first scenario: 3 fans at the bottom will exhaust the air out. The one next to psu slots will blow the fresh air in for the psu and the one at the motherboard will blow the air out.
    2nd scenario: 3 fans at the bottom will intake air into the case. The one next to psu will exhaust the air out. Psu's fan will be exhausting the air out too. and the one at the top will be exhausting air out.

right now I have in total of 13 fans. I will see what I could do with them and check the temperature for each scenarios I have in my mind.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The only way I see it working IMO is all in front in and all in back out. The middle fan in the back will only intake the warm air from the fan below it so it's better to just have all in back going out.
    Are you totally opposed to considering a 250-360 fan on top?
    i7 970 4.0 Ghz 1.325v // Asus P6X58D Premium // Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit // 12gb Corsair Dominators // 2- GTX 580 Hydrocoppers in SLI// 2-OCZ Vertex 2 Raid//128Gb Corsair SSD (Temp Storage) // Custom Wall Mount Case // Corsair 1000W // SyncMaster 2433BW // Dual loops 2-laing 355's each with XSPC dual top // (UN) 3G Brackets & X-Brackets // Swiftech Apogee XT // 2 x 120.3 & 2 x 120.2 Swiftech Rads//

MM Extended Ascension Build Log:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=212236[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpaGFpeUKVk

That's my EK Supreme Tweaked.

I used the north bridge LED's on my Classified.
    I haven't measured them yet, but if you want it to blink, you can use the header on the north bridge. You are putting the NB etc under water, correct?

If you hadn't already shown all that blue stuff I'd say you could just use those LED's

sub'd

Xtreme Member
    The only way I see it working IMO is all in front in and all in back out. The middle fan in the back will only intake the warm air from the fan below it so it's better to just have all in back going out.
    well there would be too much congestion on the top. I'm thinking of designing some abstract on all three sides of acrylics.

I'll follow your idea. I'll also observe what effect the two psu will have on the temperature in the case as psu will intake air from inside of the case. Let me if this isn't good idea.

Have been following the thread, but was a little confused on the final case config. From what I understand, I do believe Dave's suggestion is the best one.

Xtreme Member
    Thank you shazza for your opinion.

I did not want fans on the top as I have acrylic top panel. I want the case to be see through also it has some design on it's acrylic panels. I am on the process on that.

Since every single component will be water cooled. I will get extra fans as I will have lots of hard drives attached to the radiators when a fans in between them. Also, two PSUs' fans will exhaust the air out from inside the case as I noticed when building the case.

I think you'll be okay with no fans on the top, as long as you make sure you exhaust all other fans out the back.

Worse case scenario, you'll need to run it with the acrylic top off if you are doing any extreme benching or other heat inducing activities.

Xtreme Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    I think you'll be okay with no fans on the top, as long as you make sure you exhaust all other fans out the back.

Worse case scenario, you'll need to run it with the acrylic top off if you are doing any extreme benching or other heat inducing activities.
    Thanks shazza. I will keep that in mind.

I would not be doing any extreme benching. Maybe 2 or 3 years in the future after I graduate.

Xtreme Member
    I tried to sleeve my sata cable today...

well i messed up twice and was ok at the third time

The problem was mainly due to sleeve losing its braid after I cut them.

So whenever I cut them. I just heat the ends with lighter to mold the ends of its thin fibers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by marxviper View Post
    I want the case to be see through also it has some design on it's acrylic panels. I am on the process on that.
    That's the kind of information you need
    to tell us earlier! I knew you had acrylic
    panels but I didn't know you were going
    to put designs on them.
    All in the front in and all in the back out
    is still my suggestion. Make sure your
    CPU is on the front rad as it's more
    affected by heat than the GPU.

Xtreme Member
    That's the kind of information you need
    to tell us earlier! I knew you had acrylic
    panels but I didn't know you were going
    to put designs on them.
    All in the front in and all in the back out
    is still my suggestion. Make sure your
    CPU is on the front rad as it's more
    affected by heat than the GPU.
    Sorry for not mentioning it earlier. I just wanted it to be a surprise.

Regarding the fans, I will do what you have suggested . Thank you for that.

Xtreme Member
    how do you sleeve this power sata?

I tried taking out the pin from the molex with that pin removers but they are stiff

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marxviper View Post
    I tried to sleeve my sata cable today...

well i messed up twice and was ok at the third time

The problem was mainly due to sleeve losing its braid after I cut them.

So whenever I cut them. I just heat the ends with lighter to mold the ends of its thin fibers.
    Let me ask you, are you using scissors to cut the sleeve? If you are, might I suggest using wire cutters instead to cut the sleeve.

I've found that scissors cause the braiding to unravel when you cut through it, but the wire cutters don't cause this to occur.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks. I did that. Found to be helpful.

By the way, how do I remove the wires attached to one pin?

Xtreme Member
    i found out by using safety pin

Xtreme Member
    As a beginner who never built a computer before and going straight to building watercooling for himself, this looks fun.

Sleeving sata wires was piece of cake

after hours of hard work, my trusty mate did not last for long

Got heat gun to make heat shrinking easier

After 12 hours, here is the result of the hardwork

In addition, I got ascension brace, here it how it looks like.

For next update.

ordering last batch of components, hopefully soon. In addition, I am thinking of design for the acrylic, only color to be use for the design is blue. If you have any suggestion, please do let me know.

At the end of the day, I found out there is more sleeving left on modular cables. Well, I was surprise but relieved.
    Last edited by marxviper; 03-13-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Hi marx!

Great job so far, matey!
    As promised, here are me two doubloons:

The close up pics look great. I do notice the full case shots are not in focus as much as they could be...

Full case shots are tough for me as well. As a general rule, try to start with two basic things for now... Ensure you have good lighting...not necessarily a lot - just lit in a way that doesn't cause harsh shadows or hot spots (unless that's the desired mood you're trying to capture).

To achieve a good white balance, check to see that you don't have different types of lighting on your subject (i.e. tungstens (yellow), vs fluorescents (bluish)). Try to stick to one type and adjust your camera's wb accordingly.

To reduce blurring, I rest the camera on something solid and stationary and set the timer to two seconds...I always use a tripod, but a pile of laundry or books works too.

I am learning photography myself. Its a lot of fun and provides me much creative outlet.

I hope I was able to provide some helpful tips to you. I look forward to seeing more of your progress!
    Last edited by CptDreadFlint; 03-12-2010 at 06:04 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now Playing

black freighter: i7 920 | evga classified | mm extended ascension pedestal | 2 x 300gb vraps
    dead men tell no tales build: q9770 | asus striker 2 extreme | 2x4gb ddr3 ocz reaper | 2 x gtx 280 oc2 | 2x 300gb vraps | mm ufo-cyo | pcp&c 1200W

Xtreme Member
    Thank mate for the advice and support.

Today I tried to get together the components as myold computer keeps on shutting itself down after every two hours and it's pain in the neck. I like computer to stay on 24/7.

I didn't know there was so much work in this thing. I thought I was good planner but doing this for first time had few set backs.
    Mountainmod ascension is tough case to deal with. I mean I thought there would be lot of space in it but with so many fans and radiators, it is kinda congested. I'll have trouble in cable management and adding tubing in it. In distant future, I'll go for extended ascension.
    At one point I needed long screws to tie the fan and radiator to the case. I noticed that if one just wants to attac fan to the case either he has to attach fan to case by the anti shock rubber comes with the fan or he needs screws and bolt.

I tried attached CPU cooler from Dell on evga. Turns our it doesn't fit on it. I just wanted to setup and start working on it before I get all the watercooling components.

I'll be waiting for bitspower fittings, VGA and it's waterblock and motherboard waterblock.

By the way, does Matt black fitting go well with nickel plated waterblock.

Today I was so worried about static electricity even with anti static wrist band I wore throughout the work. Could static electricity cause short circuit to the affected component? How could prevent it even touching components without safety precautions?
    Last edited by marxviper; 03-14-2010 at 06:47 AM.

looks good like the sleevin

Damn bro you're crazy, too challenging for me if it was my first time. Looking forward to seeing it completed.
    System: i7 920 | Sapphire 5870 | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | 3x2GB Dominator GT 1866 | Corsair 800D
    Cooling: EK Supreme Classified Red cpu block | DD 5870 block | EK X58 Classified Mobo block

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeavermanA View Post
    Damn bro you're crazy, too challenging for me if it was my first time. Looking forward to seeing it completed.
    Yeah it challenging. It was challenging and good learning experience. I could believe I was sweating while working in this case. By the way, room temperature is like 18 degrees.
    I removed components from my previous components to this case and I also took some pictures. As soon as I get a decent air cooler I'll post some pictures of how the components look like when they are assembled together. In addition, I noticed how I could organized the cables in this case.

First challenge for me is I got pre sleeved fan cables that are red in color. I want to make them black. They are 4 to 1 three pin wires.

Second challenge for me is mcubed t-balancer bigNG cooling controller. Lots of wires and cable management. I'm trying find decent place to put this in the case.

Lastly, I got danger den's reservoir that fit on the radiator. The problem is that they are half cm wider compare to my radiator screw holes.

Things I'm planning to do next.

Firstly, Painting the radiators. Choices are either mirror black or mirror or Matt white.
    Secondly, I ordered 720 quad front panel from mountainmods. I didn't need lot of drive bays. All the radiator will be in the front. I'm thinking of adding quad radiator for the new panel.
    Thirdly, see through side panels will have designs on them. It will be simple and different. Plus, there will be cathodes in the case.
    Lastly, this will be a slow that will finish in June as I have college exams up in may. Lot of work mates.

I'm going for bitspower fitting. Any suggestion which color should I go for nickel plated water blocks?
    A. Matt black
    B. Black sparkle
    C. Shiny silver

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks GREAT! That case is just...Humongus! ; ) Looking forward to the finisht rig, gonna be awsome
    Loonym...You are missed.

The element of one

Breathe me in
    Breathe me in

I disbelieve in separation. I close my eyes to see you.
    This is for you, everything I am. This is for you, take it from me.
    I, I disbelieve separation. I close my eyes
    there's no escaping me
    This is for you, everything I am. This is for you, take it from me.
    In your heart in your soul. I perceive rejuvenation

Breathe me in. I am forever. Deep within I am eternal.

I will return to you. I am with you always. I will never turn away from you.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemic View Post
    Looks GREAT! That case is just...Humongus! ; ) Looking forward to the finisht rig, gonna be awsome
    You are right. I'm thinking of way to make a bit different according limited space I have in my apartment and see what choices I have

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast