Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Metro 2033" to Have Nvidia 3D Vision Support

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    a preview or commercial is supposed to raise your interest by showing you the pretty side of a product. its supposed to convince you of the quality of a product without ever having used or touched it yourself. this one does the opposite for me, because its done poorly...
    Are you sure that's not because you don't understand what you're looking at? Most who have seen the game in action think it has one of the most impressive engines ever made. It is very "pretty" unless by pretty you mean bright colors? The gameplay question is still to be answered of course.
    Last edited by trinibwoy; 02-23-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    Are you sure that's not because you don't understand what you're looking at? Most who have seen the game in action think it has one of the most impressive engines ever made. It is very "pretty" unless by pretty you mean bright colors? The gameplay question is still to be answered of course.
    hm? what do you mean i dont understand what im looking at?
    what is there to understand about a game looking good or not?
    how can you tell anybody who doesnt share YOUR opinion and taste and point of view that he is wrong and doesnt know what he is doing or saying?

whats the big deal anyways? im not impressed by the screenshots and videos ive seen, so what? maybe the final game will rock and if it does i might go out and buy it... whats the point of arguing about somebody having a different opinion than you?

there are gourmets that will argue all day over how awesome worm infested mold cheese taste... so what, if i dont like it i just dont know how to appreciate it? thats nonsense... on the other hand i love burgers, while most gourmets will claim its disgusting and theyd throw up after their first bite... so id say THEY dont know how to appreciate it... now whos wrong and whos right?

again, whats the big deal?

Xtreme Mentor
    its just the videos that dont look that great...
    Come on saaya ! You see videos in ultra poopy resolution or what ?

Just look at this Preview from Gamepro. Graphics sounds very good !
    Last edited by Olivon; 02-23-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: My bad saaya :D

Xtreme Addict
    too bad they keep all the games indoors, would be lovely to have wide opens spaces rendered in beauty, instead of confined spaces. makes me think of Doom 3; which doesn't really bring back fond memories

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by jmke View Post
    too bad they keep all the games indoors, would be lovely to have wide opens spaces rendered in beauty, instead of confined spaces. makes me think of Doom 3; which doesn't really bring back fond memories
    Gotta love Crysis and the original Stalker (no, not now, when it was actually released it looked pretty good), huh?
    We really need some good tech that'd help devs generate good looking natural zones. I think most go for indoor stuff mostly because it's easier to create...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    Comme on saaya ! You see videos in ultra poopy definition or what ?

Just look at this Preview from Gamepro. Graphics sounds very good !
    what do you mean with poopy?
    you mean high res? of course... im going to play it at 1920x1080, so if i see some gameplay videos, i want to see what it will actually look like and want to watch it at the highest possible resolution

thx for the link!
    no aa...
    wheee blurry textures on the desk...
    reminds me of far cry2, the way the character wakes up and picks up his gear
    oh wow, the lighter looks very realistic!
    it looks a bit hl2 like with the underground guys hanging out there...
    does anybody else notice that everything stutters in a weird way while the character moves through the level?
    the soft edges of the shadows look nice, hard to tell with this poor video quality though... (im watching it at 720, highest setting, but its blurry)

that video looks better than the other ones ive seen earlier...
    the faces still look like rubber though, the textures dont look too nice, and the lack of aa is very notably...

are there any clips with aa?

Xtreme Addict
    wheee blurry textures on the desk...
    dude... video compression is to blame there

I am Xtreme
    I found a video of this game dated 2007 . I checked the comments and they go back 2 years. Perhaps that explains the graphics.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 02-23-2010 at 12:38 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    nice find... so the game engine was ready back in 2007, when there was no word on DX10 yet.

I am Xtreme
    nice find... so the game engine was ready back in 2007, when there was no word on DX10 yet.

Since the original Stalker's engine was pretty much ready in 2002 I'm not surprised.
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    how can you tell anybody who doesnt share YOUR opinion and taste and point of view that he is wrong and doesnt know what he is doing or saying?
    I'm not telling you what to like. I'm asking you what you mean by "not pretty". The environmental, geometric, texture and light detail seems to be as high as in any other game I've seen. And that's the 1024x1024 console stuff. On the PC texture res is 2048x2048.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    dude... video compression is to blame there
    dude... then how come some textures look nice and detailled while others do not?

did you watch the video? :P
    the texture of the desk below the papers is awful... just awful... its so low res/blurry that i think the compression of the video barely made it look any worse

Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I'm not telling you what to like. I'm asking you what you mean by "not pretty". The environmental, geometric, texture and light detail seems to be as high as in any other game I've seen. And that's the 1024x1024 console stuff. On the PC texture res is 2048x2048.
    well i said it a few times, most of all the environmental textures dont look very detailled and low res, second of all the artwork on some detailled textures doesnt look very good, its too much like a drawing and not very realistic, and some look a bit blurry and not that detailled as well. dont get me wrong! they dont look terrible, but i expected more, something like crysis...

geometry looks fine, especially with all those people walking around it should be pretty impressive! i mean theres a reason why nvidia chose this as their poster child for their fermi geometry monster, right?

light seems ok, the shadows seem better than most games actually, especially the soft edges! but its hard to tell cause most videos are blurry and low res.
    and texture resolution... well thats not everything, you can blow up a textures resolution all you want, if its a poorly created texture it will always look blurry, low res and unrealistic... there are some textures that are very low res but look way realistic... there are many tricks you can do to improve perceived texture quality even if they are low res... the most famous one is to use a second half transparent texture you lay on top of the actual texture, and this semi transparent texture contains a very fine grain structure, so it basically creates tiny details on the actual texture... far cry1 was the first game that used this, at least the first where i saw it...

oh and in the previous videos in this thread, there is some really horrably texture flickering, looks like there is something wrong with texture filtering in those videos...

EDIT: one more thing, the audio engine sounds odd... might be the video, but the sound seems to come from everywhere without any clear direction... the character turns around and walks, but the sound volume remains identical, and there is no change in the direction of the sound (no stereo) either... the latter could be the video being mono, but the stable sound volume when moving around and past a sound source should have nothing to do with the video...

EDIT2: the voices would draw me nuts if id play this game...
    all this russian accent english is really annoying imo...
    Last edited by saaya; 02-24-2010 at 12:00 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    dude you the source is 720p encoded, you upscaled it for that screenie
    those textures all look pretty much BAD due to video compression

Xtreme X.I.P.
    dude you the source is 720p encoded, you upscaled it for that screenie
    those textures all look pretty much BAD due to video compression
    your telling me you dont see a difference between the desk texture and the book/paper textures... 0_o
    i can tell that the glove and paper textures are good, but look blurry thanks to some terrible video compression that german gamepro site chose...
    but the desk texture is clealry much much much worse than any other texture around it...

Xtreme Addict
    EDIT2: the voices would draw me nuts if id play this game...
    all this russian accent english is really annoying imo...
    Really? I take english with russian accent over bored german localisation every day Honestly, I think it's a good idea. It plays in russia but do you want to have the game in russian with english subtitles?
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    I love Russian accented English since Red Alert 1
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Really? I take english with russian accent over bored german localisation every day Honestly, I think it's a good idea. It plays in russia but do you want to have the game in russian with english subtitles?
    yeah, definately!
    its because there were so many movies in which evil russian guys talk english with russian accent... i really cant stand it...
    in real life its different, i really dont care about accents at all in real life... but in movies or games i do... cause its not like they just cant speak proper english, they did it on purpose...

in fc2 the african accents were cool, and were a part of the game...
    but idk... i find the russian accents here really annoying... they seem fake too, not real broken english, but like they are trying to speak with a stronger accent than they usually do... slight russian accents actually sound beautiful imo... especially for women! i had a russian gf, heh

but this is like they are trying too hard to have bad accents...

Xtreme Addict
    your telling me
    "you're"

I'm telling you to not base your "texture resolution" findings on a compressed video clip from youtube

Xtreme X.I.P.
    "you're"

I'm telling you to not base your "texture resolution" findings on a compressed video clip from youtube
    god you can be annoying... :P

http://www.firingsquad.com/media/hir...tro2033/08.jpg
    there we go, terrible texture...
    happy?
    as if its only going to be one bad texture and as if its not possible to spot it on that video... please stop arguing semantics :P

I am Xtreme
    yeah, definately!
    its because there were so many movies in which evil russian guys talk english with russian accent... i really cant stand it...
    in real life its different, i really dont care about accents at all in real life... but in movies or games i do... cause its not like they just cant speak proper english, they did it on purpose...

in fc2 the african accents were cool, and were a part of the game...
    but idk... i find the russian accents here really annoying... they seem fake too, not real broken english, but like they are trying to speak with a stronger accent than they usually do... slight russian accents actually sound beautiful imo... especially for women! i had a russian gf, heh

but this is like they are trying too hard to have bad accents...
    You have no idea about some 'russifications'. Quite a few English games with fake Russian voices get translated that way so these voices do not get replaced but voices of English guys do, so you end up with some English hero speaking better Russian than his 'real' Russian opponents!
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    You have no idea about some 'russifications'. Quite a few English games with fake Russian voices get translated that way so these voices do not get replaced but voices of English guys do, so you end up with some English hero speaking better Russian than his 'real' Russian opponents!
    I had to read that sentence three times before I undstood it

Tell me about it. Be a german and play shooters about WW2. Is it so hard to find native german speakers in the US?!

http://www.firingsquad.com/media/hir...tro2033/08.jpg
    there we go, terrible texture...
    happy?
    as if its only going to be one bad texture and as if its not possible to spot it on that video... please stop arguing semantics :P
    Sascha... Das Bild ist von 2006! But I see what you mean. I hope they improved that

Still, I'm sceptical. 4players.de is sceptical about Metro 2033 as well, only giving it a "good"-rating.
    http://www.4players.de/4players.php/...etro_2033.html

And usually 4players and I have quite the same opinion
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 02-24-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I had to read that sentence three times before I undstood it

Tell me about it. Be a german and play shooters about WW2. Is it so hard to find native german speakers in the US?!
    jawohl! sie nicht finden deutsche sprechen natif in amerika nicht einfach!

i know what you mean man... same in war movies...
    achtung hans! ich werfen granate!
    vorsicht! gehen sie alle in deckung schnell! es ist eine granate gewerfen!

Sascha... Das Bild ist von 2006! But I see what you mean. I hope they improved that

Still, I'm sceptical. 4players.de is sceptical about Metro 2033 as well, only giving it a "good"-rating.
    http://www.4players.de/4players.php/...etro_2033.html

And usually 4players and I have quite the same opinion
    yeah thats a big problem with this game i think...
    its been in dev for so long that theres lots of material out there and some is old and cr4ppy... plus then theres console versions and pc versions too...
    weird how i never heard of this game until now...

the dev should offer the latest and greatest material on their own site to prevent people from seeing all this old n ugly stuff and turning away from the game...
    seriously, if id only have seen the ugly stuff i would have turned away and never would have looked back... i probably wouldnt have played the game unless somebody showed it to me or everybody would be playing it and talking about how nice it looks...

Xtreme Addict
    jawohl! sie nicht finden deutsche sprechen natif in amerika nicht einfach!

i know what you mean man... same in war movies...
    achtung hans! ich werfen granate!
    vorsicht! gehen sie alle in deckung schnell! es ist eine granate gewerfen!

Best thing I remember: Schieß dem Fenster! (Die Hard)

yeah thats a big problem with this game i think...
    its been in dev for so long that theres lots of material out there and some is old and cr4ppy... plus then theres console versions and pc versions too...
    weird how i never heard of this game until now...

the dev should offer the latest and greatest material on their own site to prevent people from seeing all this old n ugly stuff and turning away from the game...
    seriously, if id only have seen the ugly stuff i would have turned away and never would have looked back... i probably wouldnt have played the game unless somebody showed it to me or everybody would be playing it and talking about how nice it looks...
    I keep my fingers crossed it doesn't end up like STALKER. Years in development, buggy as hell when released and then it looks like sh... At least that's what I remember from playing it 30 min or so :haha:

My problem is that I just love postapocalyptic settings There are not many games so I test most of them.

Xtreme Addict
    ditto, because:
    is from 2006.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    ditto, because:
    is from 2006.
    and? if i was saying the game looked ugly that would be a valid point as the current game might look a lot better.
    i never said that, i said that a lot of screenshots and videos show bad texturing and other problems that dont make it look very nice.

your not saying anything or posting anything, your just disagreeing with what i said... so whats your point, or do you have one at all? :P

my point is, once again, that there is quite some content showing underwhelming graphics. there is also a lot of content showing very impressive and nice graphics, i never said there wasnt...

if we are lucky, the bad stuff is the old stuff, and the final game will be polished off nicely and have great textures and graphics. if we are unlucky, the bad stuff is mixed with the good stuff and some of the good stuff only looked good from that particular angle or in this particular part of the level.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast