Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft planning new Windows 7 piracy check

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJon89 View Post
    (B: They just did) The description for this update is completely misleading, ie, they hid a piracy check under the guise of a security patch.

As you say, this update does not affect me in any way, so why on earth would I want additional software that does nothing for me running in the background all the time?
    I dunno... why would it be running in the background all the time..? Tell us please..

Xtreme Addict
    Because MS says it does maybe??
    Machines running genuine Windows 7 software with no activation exploits will see nothing - the update runs quietly in the background protecting your system.
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Have any of you guys ever checked your services settings after an MS update?
    Last edited by PaganII; 02-17-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: change registry to services

Xtreme Addict
    The only thing that pisses me off with M$ is their pricing. $215 CDN + tax for Win 7 Ultimate. That same software can be legally bought in other countries for as little as $100 U.S. Why?
    Last edited by freeloader; 02-17-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykocyber View Post
    Thats about the most optimistic thing I have heard all year.
    $125 is still a lot of money to people who wouldn't even buy a video game or that one song they love really much. And students such as me (I just love MSDNAA)

Also forgot easton european, south american & asian markets.
    Death to poor people... If you're poor, your country has a bad economy kill yourself.

... and that's your motto i presume.

Xtreme Mentor
    Do I need 2 licenses for installing w7 on my laptop + my desktop (both belonging to me)?

I have to buy w7 soon because my RC1 is expiring, but the w7 is so expensive that I can buy a nettop with OEM w7 for almost the same price. But can I install it on my desktop too?

I hope somebody knows the answer, because M$ site is such a big mess that I couldn't find anything about this.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Administrator
    Each machine will require its own copy and license. Get 2 OEM's would be the cheapest way to go I would think.

Xtreme Mentor
    Thx for the answer!
    That was what i was fearing, but good to know for sure. I'll get a OEM for my desktop then.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Xtreme Addict
    Windows Update doesn't automatically select it for download/install. This is what I saw when I clicked the notification that there are updates available:

and...

Xtreme Addict
    I can confirm your findings as it was also not selected by default for me either. The perplexing thing is Microsoft is relying on people to select it on their own and install it for it to fullfill its intended purpose. My understanding is this is more to protect customers from resellers selling systems using non authentic keys.

Anyways quite interesting.
    Last edited by Chickenfeed; 02-24-2010 at 02:15 AM.
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Me too.

i7 930, 12GB, 120V2 SSD, 5870 2GB eyefx6, 6 x Samsung 2443BW.

Xtreme Mentor
    Well MS was always silently pro-piracy.
    It is the thing that created their user base among consumers and non-corporate world...
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Addict
    You'd be surprised, but piracy pro-pulsed Windows success way way way beyond Mac OS X, and it wasn't just for show, but also "tell" (as in show and tell) and Bill Gates has 40 billion $ to prove it. You might say Bill Gates was smart "in more ways then one" - cause if he would follow Steve Jobs's example (as in Apple)... well, let's say things could have been a lot different as in: Apple still owning the market and Intel Pentium 4 would still be the world's most powerful CPU (desktops market). As for GPU's, well, consoles would have the powerful ones, cause gaming industry on Computer would be very limited. So yeh, the world would be kinda boring with Apple as king, as in Mac's + OS X.

Xtreme Mentor
    True that!
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Member
    Yep, I got the same screen. Thanks for heads up )
    i7 950@4.05Ghz HeatKiller 3.0
    EVGA E762 EK WB | 12Gb OCZ3X1600LV6GK
    Razer Tarantula |Razer Imperator | SB X-Fi PCIe
    480GTX Tri SLi EK WBs | HAF X | Corsair AX1200

Hello there,

I would not recommend downloading Windows 7 from any other site than the Official Microsoft Sites. Additionally, it's always best to make sure you have a genuine version of Windows 7, this will entitle you to recieve updates and support from Microsoft with Genuine Advantage.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/def...displaylang=en
    "Microsoft Genuine Advantage programs, including Windows Genuine Advantage, help you determine whether or not your copy of Windows is genuine. Genuine Windows software is published by Microsoft, properly licensed, and supported by Microsoft or an authorized partner, giving you full capabilities, access to all the latest updates, and confidence that you are getting the experience you expect. Microsoft continues to invest in education, engineering, and enforcement in order to more effectively combat software piracy. It’s part of Microsoft’s commitment to help protect its intellectual property and to help you avoid problems before they happen."

Please make sure that you have a officially licensed microsoft product which can be ordered directly from Microsoft and Authorized Resellers: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/default.aspx

John M
    Microsoft Windows Client Team

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Windows7Guy View Post
    Hello there,

I would not recommend downloading Windows 7 from any other site than the Official Microsoft Sites. Additionally, it's always best to make sure you have a genuine version of Windows 7, this will entitle you to recieve updates and support from Microsoft with Genuine Advantage.

"Microsoft Genuine Advantage programs, including Windows Genuine Advantage, help you determine whether or not your copy of Windows is genuine. Genuine Windows software is published by Microsoft, properly licensed, and supported by Microsoft or an authorized partner, giving you full capabilities, access to all the latest updates, and confidence that you are getting the experience you expect. Microsoft continues to invest in education, engineering, and enforcement in order to more effectively combat software piracy. It’s part of Microsoft’s commitment to help protect its intellectual property and to help you avoid problems before they happen."

Please make sure that you have a officially licensed microsoft product which can be ordered directly from Microsoft and Authorized Resellers: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/default.aspx

John M
    Lol. Nice first post, made me laugh. MS rep?

Banned
    Hello WindowsMarketingGuy,

Welcome to XS and have a nice stay here.

I have a question for your team: Why every windows version is being cracked within the first week of it's beta/rc/final release? Is it because you are unable to protect it properly or is it because you are letting crackers to do it?
    BTW, can you ask your colleagues from the sales department, when they will price their products with civil prices according to people's living standards? For example, where I live, Win7 ultimate costs around 2 month salaries. With such unreasonable pricing, you are only supporting piracy.

regards,

Kiril A
    Microsoft Windows/Office/Visual Studio user

Xtreme Addict
    Hello Windows7Guy,

Could you please invite MicrosoftCourierGuy to the site so that we could have more information on the upcoming Microsoft Courier ?

Andrew
    Future Microsoft Courier user

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For what a large piece of software it is, with more man hours poured into it than any other piece of software you are most likely to own, being able to buy an OEM licence for $120 is pretty cheap, all things considered.

If you don't run legit and you let updates automatically install, you're an idiot

If you think that people aren't smart enough to quickly crack probably the most popular piece of software out there at this time, you're also an idiot (especially considering the most common one is based off the vista one)
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

Xtreme Addict
    +1 If people only knew what came with cracked versions. I bought my Win7 retail. Some things I do not cheap out on is software and hardware. I'll just take the ol lady out to McDonalds instead!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oohms View Post
    For what a large piece of software it is, with more man hours poured into it than any other piece of software you are most likely to own, being able to buy an OEM licence for $120 is pretty cheap, all things considered.

If you don't run legit and you let updates automatically install, you're an idiot

If you think that people aren't smart enough to quickly crack probably the most popular piece of software out there at this time, you're also an idiot (especially considering the most common one is based off the vista one)
    While you consider it "pretty cheap", one thing that most business' nowadays fail to realize, is that it's all about volume.

You're more likely to sell way more of a product, the cheaper it is. Take for instance a $150k sports car; very few made and very, very few sold. Now take a POS commuter car that sells for $15k (or less), a high number made, a high demand, and a high number sold.

Selling things cheap may seem like you're not making any money off the product, but usually in the long run, you'll sell a lot more of that product and thus prove my original statement.

Lower prices = higher sales... look at Walmart.

Xtreme Addict
    Well, I kinda look @ it like this. For what I have paid for win95, 98, XP Pro, XP 64, I'm DONE payin microsoft for a O.S.
    X299X Aorus Master
    I9 10920x
    32gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-4000
    EVGA 2070 Super x2
    Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
    4 512gb Silicon Power NVME
    4 480 Adata SSD
    2 1tb HGST 7200rpm 2.5 drives
    X-Fi Titanium
    1200 watt Lepa
    Custom water-cooled View 51TG

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eRazorzEDGE View Post
    While you consider it "pretty cheap", one thing that most business' nowadays fail to realize, is that it's all about volume.
    You can make it $10... 10 freaking dollars... and people would still pirate it.

Even if it completely eliminated the need to pirate windows, they wouldn't have 15x the amount of sales. So they set it to a middle ground price. $120 really isn't much... i pay 2/3rd's of that on ty console ports, to play online, just to find out that they are really boring, crappy, or nobody plays online. Whereas I use windows every day, and will for the next couple of years.
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Windows7Guy View Post
    Hello there,

John M
    lol a canned response. i think everyone on here is much beyond these warning labels. thanks for trying though, and welcome to XS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast