Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft planning new Windows 7 piracy check

I am Xtreme

Microsoft planning new Windows 7 piracy check

http://www.guru3d.com/news/microsoft...-piracy-check/

It really is too bad Microsoft charges too much for their products. if ultimate was around $125 to the consumer they would not be concerned with people using illegal copys.

Microsoft today confirmed that it plans to release a Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7 that will detect 70 known activation exploits.

In the coming days, we'll be deploying a new update for Windows Activation Technologies, the set of built-in activation and validation components built into Windows 7. Called Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7, this update will detect more than 70 known and potentially dangerous activation exploits. Activation exploits are sometimes called 'hacks', and attempt to bypass or compromise Windows' activation technologies. This new update is further evidence of Microsoft's commitment to keeping customers and partners secure. The update will determine whether Windows 7 installed on a PC is genuine and will better protect customers' PCs by making sure that the integrity of key licensing components remains intact.

The Update is designed to run on all editions of Windows 7, although we will distribute first to the Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise editions. It will be available online at www.microsoft.com/genuine beginning February 16 and on the Microsoft Download Center beginning February 17. Later this month, the update will also be offered through Windows Update as an ‘Important' update.

How does it work? Once installed, the Update protects customers by identifying known activation exploits that may affect their PC experience. If any activation exploits are found, Windows will alert the customer and offer options for resolving the issue - in many cases, with just a few clicks. Machines running genuine Windows 7 software with no activation exploits will see nothing - the update runs quietly in the background protecting your system. If Windows 7 is non-genuine, the notifications built into Windows 7 will inform the customer that Windows is not genuine by displaying informational dialog boxes with options for the customer to either get more information, or acquire genuine Windows. The desktop wallpaper will be switched to a plain desktop (all of the customer's desktop icons, gadgets, or pinned applications stay in place). Periodic reminders and a persistent desktop watermark act as further alerts to the customer.

It is important to know that the customer will see no reduced functionality in their copy of Windows - a customer's applications work as expected, and access to personal information is unchanged. The Update will run periodic validations (initially every 90 days). During validation, Windows will download the latest 'signatures' that are used to identify new activation exploits - much like an anti-virus service. When tampering, disabling, or missing licensing files are discovered, the WAT Update runs a check and repair weekly to ensure that the licensing files are properly repaired.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Guru
    I guess the solution for all the pirates is not to install this update? Funny.
    i5 750 4.20GHz @ NH-D14 | 8GB | P7P55DLE | 8800U | Indilinx SSD + Samsung F3 | HAF922 + CM750W
    Past: Q6600 @ 3.60 E6400 @ 3.60 | E6300 @ 3.40 | O165 @ 2.90 | X2 4400+ @ 2.80 | X2 3800+ @ 2.70 | VE 3200+ @ 2.80 | WI 3200+ @ 2.75 | WI 3000+ no IHS @ 2.72 | TBB 1700+ @ 2.60 | XP-M 2500+ @ 2.63 | NC 2800+ @ 2.40 | AB 1.60GHz @ 2.60
    Quote Originally Posted by CompGeek
    The US is the only country that doesn't use [nuclear weapons] to terrorize other countries. The US is based on Christian values, unlike any other country in the world. Granted we are straying from our Christian heritage, but we still have a freedom aimed diplomatic stance.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanAndreevich View Post
    Funny.

SLC
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanAndreevich View Post
    I guess the solution for all the pirates is not to install this update? Funny.
    And even if it is installed, all it does is change your wallpaper to plain and asks you nicely to buy the product.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    And even if it is installed, all it does is change your wallpaper to plain and asks you nicely to buy the product.
    Funny, my legit copy of Windows does this.

Xtreme Member
    Lets see....How do I feel about this?
    I own about twenty licenses to windows XP, atleast ten to Vista (from computers purchased/ etc)
    Not so great ^+^

Xtreme Addict
    I don't think this aims at the normal home-user that uses a pirated copy of Windows. I think this is rather for companies etc. that bought PCs and got ripped of by the seller. Companies surely install the update and will take notice.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    It really is too bad Microsoft charges too much for their products. if ultimate was around $125 to the consumer they would not be concerned with people using illegal copys.
    Thats about the most optimistic thing I have heard all year.
    $125 is still a lot of money to people who wouldn't even buy a video game or that one song they love really much. And students such as me (I just love MSDNAA)

Also forgot easton european, south american & asian markets.
    Last edited by Psykocyber; 02-12-2010 at 12:53 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykocyber View Post
    I just love MSDNAA
    So do I! Seriously, though, there are plenty of ways to get a legit copy cheaper than what it retails for these days. If not for free at all...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    ... this update will detect more than 70 known and potentially dangerous activation exploits. ... This new update is further evidence of Microsoft's commitment to keeping customers and partners secure. ... The update ... will better protect customers' PCs by making sure that the integrity of key licensing components remains intact. ...
    Machines running genuine Windows 7 software with no activation exploits will see nothing - the update runs quietly in the background protecting your system. ...
    So basically the software does absolutely nothing on a genuine Windows 7 installation.... how does that show a commitment to customers? If you are an actual customer this software does nothing for you except hog system resources and make you constantly afraid of a false-positive.

This shows Microsoft's commitment to non-customers. If they spent this much time and effort developing Windows maybe more people would pay for it. Instead they make the software less user-friendly and more cumbersome for paying customers.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I don't think this aims at the normal home-user that uses a pirated copy of Windows. I think this is rather for companies etc. that bought PCs and got ripped of by the seller. Companies surely install the update and will take notice.
    Nail on the head.

Something worth menitoning, the blog itself makes it very clear that this update is voluntary. It will be listed as an "important" update however it doesn't say it will be required. This may change down the road, most certainlly after Service Pack 1 is live. Anyways thought that was an interesting fact...
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

It is indeed pretty funny how they always word WGA to be protecting/benefiting the customers. It is clearly for the benefit of Microsoft since the systems were working just fine until it came along.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    They could sell it for $1 and people would still use illegal copies. What planet are you living on?

Xtreme Member
    http://www.guru3d.com/news/microsoft...-piracy-check/

Retail copy of Win 7 home premium goes for 225 + tax in Canada. For a piece of software I'll be using for ~3-5 years, the cost is reasonable at worst.

People should stop being crybabies and get jobs.

Xtreme Addict
    I find it funny that people can update a $300+ video card every few months (sometimes in pairs), drop $10 a pop on compression fittings or $30 a pop per fan, but will flat out refuse to buy a piece of software that they will use 100% of the time.

There was a guy on the radio talking about this piracy check making it sound like some huge system breaking issue, claiming that it effects all versions of windows and even legitimate copys etc... I lol'd.
    Phenom 9950BE @ 3.24Ghz| ASUS M3A78-T | ASUS 4870 | 4gb G.SKILL DDR2-1000 |Silverstone Strider 600w ST60F| XFI Xtremegamer | Seagate 7200.10 320gb | Maxtor 200gb 7200rpm 16mb | Samsung 206BW | MCP655 | MCR320 | Apogee | MCW60 | MM U2-UFO |

A64 3800+ X2 AM2 @3.2Ghz| Biostar TF560 A2+ | 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | Sapphire 3870 512mb | Aircooled inside a White MM-UFO Horizon |

Current Phenom overclock

Max Phenom overclock

Xtreme Addict
    LOL all the people being bitter about this news must use ilegal software or are just cheap bastard..... buy the frickin official os .... instead of upgrading that gpu get the win os and dont upgrade in 3 years... live with it for the rest of its effective life... etc..... seriously microsoft wont kill it in 3 years or whatever... and 125$ or whatever is small considering youll use it for more then 3 years....

Quote Originally Posted by munim View Post
    Retail copy of Win 7 home premium goes for 225 + tax in Canada. For a piece of software I'll be using for ~3-5 years, the cost is reasonable at worst.

People should stop being crybabies and get jobs.

+1 ... get jobs or prioritise on your cash.....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    or prioritise on your cash.....
    Thats what people are doing. You can get Windows for "free". Clothing, alcohol & girls arn't free.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykocyber View Post
    Thats what people are doing. You can get Windows for "free". Clothing, alcohol & girls arn't free.

LOLL nope... people are being thieves... if this is their priorities then fail.... and your 2nd point about living expanses.... good point??? ohh well if you think life is hard go live underneath a bridge... no taxes... everything free.... no rent etc....

xtreme energy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer411 View Post
    I find it funny that people can update a $300+ video card every few months (sometimes in pairs), drop $10 a pop on compression fittings or $30 a pop per fan, but will flat out refuse to buy a piece of software that they will use 100% of the time.

There was a guy on the radio talking about this piracy check making it sound like some huge system breaking issue, claiming that it effects all versions of windows and even legitimate copys etc... I lol'd.

Because it's too easy to get it and you risk almost nothing. If getting $300 video card would be as easy then nobody would buy them either

there are 3 things on this IMO, 1) MS lets u have a free 90-270 day trial of windows7 and server08r2, 2) the retail copy costs way to much, the OEM/OEI cost $125 for HP and $140 pro but with retail its $200 and pro is $300, thats way to much of a jump especially when u consider that HP is $30 and pro is $40 for bulk order OEM (dell/hp ext), and if u did buy retail u could get a technet account for the same price and u buy OEM office and windows is more than a technet account so buying windows is ridiculous when u can go to a MS event and get a free copy or technet subscription. 3) if its like WGA when that 1st came out it was a huge pain, like how u had to reactivate if u changed the time back at all and it made it so the activation service had to run all of the time and not just for updates or on its biweekly scheduled check in, people are used to it now and its more integrated but its still a pain
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    For myself I am not disputing the cost. What I do dispute is having a legit copy of windows and make upgrades / changes to hardware and all the sudden my legit copy of windows is now not legit and then having either call Microsoft or use online customer service to get a new legit key.

With how much many of us here on XS change stuff it's a inconvenience and much easier to just use a loader or hack.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazystang01 View Post
    For myself I am not disputing the cost. What I do dispute is having a legit copy of windows and make upgrades / changes to hardware and all the sudden my legit copy of windows is now not legit and then having either call Microsoft or use online customer service to get a new legit key.

With how much many of us here on XS change stuff it's a inconvenience and much easier to just use a loader or hack.
    that hasnt happened since xp, and that was removed with xp sp3. MS is much more accepting of upgrades now and i havnt heard of a key reissuing except when one was stolen for vista or 7
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Member
    Well I can say wrong dude I have /had a Retail copy of Windows Vista with Sp1 and as soon as I did a GFX card change my Key became non legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazystang01 View Post
    Well I can say wrong dude I have /had a Retail copy of Windows Vista with Sp1 and as soon as I did a GFX card change my Key became non legit.
    and they gave u a new key, they can just reset them now, they currently only track the cpu unique id, the mac, the MB id and the id on the primary HDD

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenfeed View Post
    Nail on the head.

Something worth menitoning, the blog itself makes it very clear that this update is voluntary. It will be listed as an "important" update however it doesn't say it will be required. This may change down the road, most certainlly after Service Pack 1 is live. Anyways thought that was an interesting fact...
    Yup, that is the main reason. Microsoft really doesn't care about the fairly small fraction of people that pirate Windows 7. They're really after system builders/IT guys that install hundreds if not thousands of cracked/hacked copies of windows at a time. Companies can also get into some pretty big trouble as well if they published something with a PC using illegal software.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast