Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows.next

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Windows XP was a fluke. Windows 3.0 in 1990, 3.1 in 1992, Windows 95 in 1995, Windows 98 in 1998, Windows ME in 2000, Windows XP in 2001, and then a HUGE wait till Windows Vista in 2007
    XP was no fluke, it was 2k for the masses with working plug & play! This sort of functionality actually makes home PC technology more usable for the average consumer luddite.

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    you just forgot that prior to Windows XP Microsoft had a nice ~2 year product cycle and I bluntly reminded you. Don't complain about progress.
    MS just hasn't made any progress since XP. None, zilch, zero.

Vista gave us aero interface arguably the most significant feature to the average user, and the only one they would ever notice aside from the annoying UAC notifications.

7 is hailed as a great improvement because it replaced Vista(anything is better than Vista) and MS spent a but-load of money hyping it up.

MS has failed to offer any innovations that improve my computing experience for a decade now. By denying me access to current versions of DX on my otherwise perfectly functional XP machines MS has not only deterred me from upgrading my 3D hardware, they've provided me incentive to make the move to Linux.

Now that's progress.
    OCZ, where life-time warranty means until we're out of stock!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    isnt it obvious? they will focus on new interfaces, touchscreen, voice command, maybe some gay magic glove or wii like controller...
    this has been hinted at from ms and companies close to ms several times over the past months

i think most likely it will just be windows7+ improved multitouch and a revised interface to make good use of touch.
    i guess its needless to say that i think it will fail

Xtreme Mentor
    ^+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    I'd put my money on ARM processor support
    Me too I'd be very happy about that, but I don't think that will happen.
    Not to mention ARM-based devices (mobile phones, PDAs, Set-Top-Boxes,
    ARM-notebooks, etc) would require a completely different OS tailored to
    their specs (instruction set, processor performance, RAM size, ROM size,
    etc).
    At least there are linux distros for ARM, they also have special packages.
    Usual suspects: i5-750 & H212+ | Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI | 4GB RAndoM | 4850 + AC S1 + 120@5V + modded stock for VRAM/VRM | Seasonic S12-600 | 7200.12 | P180 | U2311H & S2253BW | MX518
    mITX media & to-be-server machine: A330ION | Seasonic SFX | WD600BEVS boot & WD15EARS data
    Laptops: Lifebook T4215 tablet, Vaio TX3XP
    Bike: ZX6R

Xtreme Mentor
    next windows will support holodeck technology and you will get hologram characters of Captain Janeway, 7 of 9 and B'Elanna Torres.

hhehe
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by clo007 View Post
    Kinda like apple and all it's revolutionary products?
    Exactly like Apple, but buggier.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    next windows will support holodeck technology and you will get hologram characters of Captain Janeway, 7 of 9 and B'Elanna Torres.

hhehe
    jeeeez janeway has put on weight!
    belane torres, no thx... but 7of9... i wouldnt say no to that 7of9 times

Xtreme Member
    there's no need to make conjectures about the next version of windows. Simply look to OS/X, see what features it has that Windows lacks and you will have the next version of windows.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by therightway View Post
    there's no need to make conjectures about the next version of windows. Simply look to OS/X, see what features it has that Windows lacks and you will have the next version of windows.
    Yeah, because OS/X had advanced prefetching and UAC before Vista! Oh, wait, no, they didn't...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry but I can't get any news in that article.

Sure it generated a nice discussion about what Windows.next should be, but the guy doesn't say a single thing, it's al bubble PR talk.
    i7 2600k @4500 | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 | Gskill 2x4096Mb 2133Mhz | 4x2TB WD Green RAID10 | OCZ Vertex3 120Gb | 2x AMD 6950 @ Stock
    Benq 24" TN | Samsung LE46C630 "2nd" Monitor | Enermax NAXN ENP850EWT | Corsair 800D Case | Corsair H60 | Logitech G9x + Wireless Solar K750

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Yeah, because OS/X had advanced prefetching and UAC before Vista! Oh, wait, no, they didn't...
    It doesn't need to prefetch, there's half as much bloat Also, I don't think UAC is an innovation worth being proud of

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    I don't know about prefetching but OS/x had UAC before Vista.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12