Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows.next

Xtreme Member

Windows.next

Whats in store for the next Windows?

One of the great (or maybe not so great) things of being at Microsoft is that every other person wants to ask you why Windows works the way it does. Since I'm part of the Windows update team I get asked even more why does my machnie reboot everytime there is an update and why are there so many updates. So naturally once Windows 7 shipped, my friends, neighbours, relatives, and whoever else you can imagine started asking me So whats next?

Folks started asking me whats in Windows 8 - and the first thing I have to say is that I resonate Steven Sinofsky's interview on who said we're calling it Windows 8? I agree with Steven that till things are baked there is no point floating ideas since it leaves people frustrated when things don't turn out the way they expected. The Windows team promised to deliver a smarter, faster and more user friendly OS with Windows 7 and they delivered just that - the latest quaterly results of Microsoft are a clear indication that Windows 7 has been a success and customers got what Microsoft had promised them! The plan is to use a similar approach for the next version of Windows and till things are finalized you're not going to get a "marketing" name from us

So how am I referring to the next version of Windows without saying that many words - well simple - Windows.next This is definitely not the official version but a version that is becoming common along my circle. So what are our plans for this next version...

The minimum that folks can take for granted is that the next version will be something completly different from what folks usually expect of Windows - I am simply impressed with the process that Steven has setup to listen to our customers needs and wants and get a team together than can make it happen. To actually bring together dozens and dozens of teams across Microsoft to come up with a vision for Windows.next is a process that is surreal! The themes that have been floated truly reflect what people have been looking for years and it will change the way people think about PCs and the way they use them. It is the future of PCs...

Thats about it for this post for the time being - I know I'm not sharing much at this point but right now I can't as we work towards finalizing that vision. Feel free to post your comments on what you think Windows.net should be like!

And the best prediction about Windows.next?

I vote for a virtual machine

Prediction
    By borowki2 on 2/11/2010
    When programmers are excited about something, usually it's an architectural change that brings zero benefit to the end-user. My guess is that they're going to move two-decades' worth of Win32 stuff into a virtual machine, allowing the new OS to be legacy-free. From a MS programmer's POV this is going to be great, but I expect end users will end up with all of grief associated with Terminal Service.

Xtreme Cruncher
    IDK about the VM, but I'd put my money on ARM processor support and OS level GPGPU.

ARM is trying to enter the netbook industry, and has not rulled out the notebook industry... and this would be a major win for ARM, and a smart strategy for MS...

Also, the GPGPU integrated at the OS level would allow for "the smooth transition of workload between the CPU and GPU for both performance and power management purposes"

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Addict
    wow how often are they going to be putting out new versions of windows now?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    Yes and just about everytime they do we have to upgrade our apps that we use all the time and often they charge for that upgrade.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Just because they are talking about the next revision doesn't mean it is coming out next month

If you had this same attitude about hardware then you'd have a hissy fit. WHAT?! They are talking about Sandy Bridge already!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Just because they are talking about the next revision doesn't mean it is coming out next month

If you had this same attitude about hardware then you'd have a hissy fit. WHAT?! They are talking about Sandy Bridge already!
    If your gonna try to increase your e-penis why not actually make some sense here. If I had the same attitude about hardware, yet I don't... so don't be rolling your eyes like you made some amazing point.

There are plenty of people on here still using XP, lets face it most users still are using XP. So my attitude towards operating systems seems to be quite relevant.

Why not try to make another point without sounding like your average internet forum dic.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    If your gonna try to increase your e-penis why not actually make some sense here. If I had the same attitude about hardware, yet I don't... so don't be rolling your eyes like you made some amazing point.

There are plenty of people on here still using XP, lets face it most users still are using XP. So my attitude towards operating systems seems to be quite relevant.

Why not try to make another point without sounding like your average internet forum dic.
    Windows XP was a fluke. Windows 3.0 in 1990, 3.1 in 1992, Windows 95 in 1995, Windows 98 in 1998, Windows ME in 2000, Windows XP in 2001, and then a HUGE wait till Windows Vista in 2007, then Windows 7 in 2009. Notice a trend? Every 2-3 years there is a new release of Windows EXCEPT after XP due to the mess that was Windows Vista(Wikipedia Link). So before you call me a do a little research and get used to a ~2 year product cycle.

I know you'll walk away from this thinking I'm a , but you just forgot that prior to Windows XP Microsoft had a nice ~2 year product cycle and I bluntly reminded you. Don't complain about progress.

Oh, and my e-penis is gigantic.. but thanks for caring

edit: all those dancing banana's reminded me I should offer some sort of distraction to temper the rage that surely will ensue. I invite you to listen to It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!! with me.
    Last edited by [XC] gomeler; 02-12-2010 at 03:47 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Every 2-3 years there is a new release of Windows EXCEPT after XP due to the mess that was Windows Vista(Wikipedia Link).
    It's not just that. XP is still pretty damn awesome still. There are just 2 issues: 1) no DX10 (artificially created selling point for Vista) and 2) not such shiny looks not everyone likes anyway.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    It's not just that. XP is still pretty damn awesome still. There are just 2 issues: 1) no DX10 (artificially created selling point for Vista) and 2) not such shiny looks not everyone likes anyway.
    When I use an Windows XP machine now I feel like I am back in the stone age.

The minor improvements of even Vista are starting to set in, and some things you start to appreciate. Windows 7 makes that experience even better.

Can't make any predictions about the next iteration of Windows, my guess would be improvements in launch times, program development, and obviously ease of use.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Don't see too much of an issue with the VM idea. It'd probably be very similar how OSX boots up OS9 in a virtual environment to run old apps
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by damha View Post
    When I use an Windows XP machine now I feel like I am back in the stone age.

The minor improvements of even Vista are starting to set in, and some things you start to appreciate. Windows 7 makes that experience even better.

Can't make any predictions about the next iteration of Windows, my guess would be improvements in launch times, program development, and obviously ease of use.
    Searching speeds to the point that it's faster to press Windows and type "Word" or "Excel" or "Calc" or any number of other things... that's the reason I can never go back to Windows XP.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Addict
    what is windows xp???

jk
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Addict
    Windows 8 is planned for 2012, and while it may take more time than that to launch it, it won't show up any sooner.

3 years after W7 sounds pretty normal to me..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    Windows 8 is planned for 2012, and while it may take more time than that to launch it, it won't show up any sooner.

3 years after W7 sounds pretty normal to me..
    +1,

And even if it would be released by that time, its up to the consumers to jump right in, which relies on how Windows.Next performs during its beta.
    If this is gonna be good(better than Windows 7 - it should be), then I might kiss my 7 goodbye. Otherwise, I'll have to keep my 7 a lot longer.
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsama View Post
    Searching speeds to the point that it's faster to press Windows and type "Word" or "Excel" or "Calc" or any number of other things... that's the reason I can never go back to Windows XP.
    huh?

As long as your hard drive is fast enough the Vista search runs just as fast as the Win7 search IMO...the XP search (Yes, it's downloadable) runs good too. They all recieve the same updates.
    Smile

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    huh?

As long as your hard drive is fast enough the Vista search runs just as fast as the Win7 search IMO...the XP search (Yes, it's downloadable) runs good too. They all recieve the same updates.
    Hes talking about the 7 (Vista too?) Search Programs and Files bar in the start menu.

That is probably my favorite feature of 7, just type in the program name, you don't even have to spell it completely right and it will load it right up or show you what program it thinks you want to load
    Last edited by [XC] Lead Head; 02-12-2010 at 08:21 PM.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    Hes talking about the 7 (Vista too?) Search Programs and Files bar in the start menu.

That is probably my favorite feature of 7, just type in the program name, you don't even have to spell it completely right and it will load it right up or show you what program it thinks you want to load
    yes vista has had this since its inception. so i have been enjoying this feature since 2006/2007!
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Member
    you all seem to forget the windows search 4.0 which is downloadabvle as beepbeep2 mentioned which is exact the same thing in just different eye-candy..

Xtreme Addict
    I reckon they'll change out the GUI again and call it a software revolution.

Lets chill the attitude here.

Xtreme Mentor
    I want ARM and MIPS support.

I am very angry at Microsoft for not supporting Win CE as much as they should, i mean x86 is good but i feel ARM in terms of programming ability is much better.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    I would put money on there not being a VM, as nice at it would be.

Xtreme Addict
    I don`t like the current intel and microsoft name generation: Windows 7, Windows 8, Intel I3,I5 and etc.

Intel Q9650 @500x9MHz/1,3V
    Asus Maximus II Formula @Performance Level=7
    OCZ OCZ2B1200LV4GK 4x2GB @1200MHz/5-5-5-15/1,8V
    OCZ SSD Vertex 3 120Gb
    Seagate RAID0 2x ST1000DM003
    XFX HD7970 3GB @1111MHz
    Thermaltake Xaser VI BWS
    Seasonic Platinum SS-1000XP
    M-Audio Audiophile 192
    LG W2486L
    Liquid Cooling System :
    ThermoChill PA120.3 + Coolgate 4x120
    Swiftech Apogee XT, Swiftech MCW-NBMAX Northbridge
    Watercool HeatKiller GPU-X3 79X0 Ni-Bl + HeatKiller GPU Backplate 79X0
    Laing 12V DDC-1Plus with XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top
    3x Scythe S-FLEX "F", 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoon "15", Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5,25''

Apple MacBook Pro 17` Early 2011:
    CPU: Sandy Bridge Intel Core i7 2720QM
    RAM: Crucial 2x4GB DDR3 1333
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
    HDD: ADATA Nobility NH13 1GB White

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSel10 View Post
    I would put money on there not being a VM, as nice at it would be.
    Well, who knows ... But it's fun trying to speculate.
    All those knowledgeable ppl here at XS have the ability to speculate right most of the time.
    So it's interesting to hear from you.

What else might be "completely different" and unexpected that fulfills the most requested capabilities?

... the next version will be something completely different from what folks usually expect of Windows...
    The themes that have been floated truly reflect what people have been looking for years and it will change the way people think about PCs and the way they use them. It is the future of PCs...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    I reckon they'll change out the GUI again and call it a software revolution.
    Kinda like apple and all it's revolutionary products?
    Gaming/Rendering rig:
    eVGA X58 Tri-SLI
    Intel i7-970 w/ Corsair H100
    24gigs Corsair 2000s
    eVGA GTX580 3GB
    Too many HDD's
    LG Blu-ray player
    Corsair hx1050 psu
    Corsair 800D case

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast