Thread: 8800GTS 512Mb Std cooler/fan mod

Question 8800GTS 512Mb fan speed issue, 2nd pcie slot.

Evening

I've been looking into this for a while now, so much so that I bought a dead 8800 so that I have a spare fan/hs/fan connector etc... I am running the 8800 in the 2nd pci-e slot, as I'm running a hybrid-sli config(I have a 5870 in the 1st pcie slot)

The problem is because the 8800 is in the 2nd slot it spins its fan at full speed untill windows has fully loaded, which dosent do if its in the 1st slot.

I have tried fiddling with all the obvious settings in the bios with no effect. I have/can put a variable resister in-line on the 12v supply to the fan, this drops the speed but then the card runs hotter at idle due to lower fan speed. And finally I cant bolt on a fan to the 8800's shroud as my xfi sound card is in the way... And lasty the card wont clock down when its in the 2nd slot either.

1. wtf is the 8800 behaving differently when plugged into the 2nd pcie slot.
    2. is there a hard mod that I can do to the card so then fan behaves itself.
    3. are there any mods that can be done to the oem cooler that wont increase its width and ideally be quieter.
    4. or will I have to buy an after market cooler..?
    Last edited by bikerdude; 02-28-2010 at 07:32 AM. Reason: update

bump

so 146 people have read this post yet no one has any suggestions..?

Xtreme Member
    Please edit the Bios of the card and fix the fanspeed yourself. Look for Nvidia Bios editor.

Quote Originally Posted by lism View Post
    Please edit the Bios of the card and fix the fanspeed yourself. Look for Nvidia Bios editor.
    Hi, did you read the first post... bios editing on this Inno3D card isn't applicable with the issue I have.

Anyway, I have found a work-around - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...42#post4264242
    Last edited by bikerdude; 02-28-2010 at 08:17 AM.