Thread: Ye Olde Vinyl Collection

Ye Olde Vinyl Collection

Okay - now, last night, for some reason, i decided to sift through the collection of Vinyl i have in the library (yes, i have a library in my house).

Now, a lot of it is stuff that i've never heard of, or that...well, to be honest, was a bit pants.

However, i sorted the wheat from the chaff, and managed to compile this list of 'good stuff'. Question is - is it worth anything, and would anyone here want to yell the words 'It's MINE!' and tear my arm off for them?

Led Zeppelin - I, II, IV, Houses of the Holy, Presence
    Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune, Tyranny & Mutation, On your feet or on your knees
    Queen - Queen, Sheer Heart Attack
    Genesis - Seconds Out, Genesis (12th Album), ...and then there were three..., Selling England by the Pound
    Rolling Stones - Through the Past Darkly, Rolled Gold, Between the Buttons
    Yes - The Yes Album, Relayer
    Bad Company - Straight Shooter
    ELO - Discovery, Secret Messages
    Supertramp - Breakfast in America
    Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (7 track gatefold original), Sabotage, Paranoid
    The Who - Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy
    Deep Purple - Who do we think we are, in rock, Machine Head, Fireball, Purple Passages
    Uriah Heep - Demons & Wizards, Salisbury
    Bronski Beat - Age of Consent
    Bee Gees - Spirits Having Flown
    King Crimson - Lizard
    Roxy Music - Flesh + Blood
    10cc - How Dare You!
    Wings - Band on the Run
    Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (no sleeve)
    Free - Heartbreaker, Live!
    Cream - Heavy Cream (Double LP)
    Pink Floyd - Soundtrack from the Film More, Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Original Sleeve, Compilation Gatefold supposed to contain A Saucerful of Secrets as well?), Meddle

Many of these are the original issues from the 1960's and 70's, and i think two of the Led Zep albums are signed.

So...what are they worth?

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme Mentor
    The signed Zep albums, if in great condition, could get you a couple grand each. Assuming the signatures can be authenticated and assuming you can find the people willing to pay it. Mostly though it all depends on condition. If they are chewed up and filled with pops and damage, not nearly so much. If they are pristine, it will depend on edition rarity. There are probably a good deal of vinyl and vintage audio sites where some people take pride in being able to estimate such things. Search for vinyl forums or whatever they would be. Lot of vinyl people on headfi. You could start there and have them point you to places to get an estimate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Kai,thats a great collection you have there.minus the bronski beat album.
    king crimson one is sweet.not sure what its worth but im sure you could get
    a great deal for it.
    Last edited by radaja; 02-09-2010 at 07:06 AM.

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Well, all the actual Vinyl is in almost unplayed condition, along with most of the sleeves, as they've been kept in protective plastic sleeves for decades (the plastic has yellowed, but the sleeves are as new in most cases). I had a poke around on eBay and the same Black Sabbath album (the 7 track gatefold), is up for over £100 - but that could be wishful thinking on the part of the seller...

I know i had a signed copy of Pink Floyds 'The Wall', but i can't find it in the library anywhere, so i can only assume either my brother took it before he went to canuckistan, or it's buried in one of the many sealed boxes i have yet to open.

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Nice collection. I need to go through mine that my dad gave me. I have some rare ones I know that I am going to keep a hold of probably forever. You just cant be vinyls in my mind. I love playing them on my turn table.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'll trade ya Capt. Beefheart and Commander Cody for the King Crimson !

Nice collection Kai

You've got some decent stuff there, but I cant imagine much of it selling other than the Zeppelin and Sabbath. I wish my parents had better taste in music so that I could have inherited some good stuff. The only thing of any value I own is a mint original pressing of Skynyrd's Second Helping still in plastic wrap with the price tag from 1974 still on it. Best of luck selling.

Xtreme Mentor
    Thats a rather sweet collection.

My parents have a huge LP collection. Sadly their taste in music is/was mostly awfull (atleast thats my opinion).
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Not to shabby. The biggest problem with vinyl is it is a buyers market. Finding, or being found, by the right person/people is a bit tough. The ones that are signed could very well be worth a decent piece of change. The rest, it's a tough call really.

My 'rents, while did have good tastes back in the day, at least IMHO, were some broke a**es. So anything worth anything vinyl's been gone for a number of years. lol
    I have 2 vinyls I've saved over the years.
    Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive - 45 single
    Ozzy Osbournes Randy Rhoades Tribute.
    The sleeves are a bit worn, but the vinyl itself are in pristine condition.
    I'd love to be able to snag that Zep IV and Sabbath stuff... some killer tunes there IMO. One day I will get another turn table to just be able to hear some of the old school stuff the way it was heard then.

Xtreme Addict
    Wish I could take the signed "The Wall" off your hands. My father would love me forever if I bought it for him

Xtreme Legend
    Might take a while to browse but places like ... http://www.vinylnet.co.uk/index.asp should give you a feel for prices at least for the unsigned ones

and just for interest... http://entertainment-memorabilia.sho...d=p3286.c0.m14
    Last edited by OldChap; 02-10-2010 at 04:42 PM.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

I've got a big box-o-vinyl sitting in the closet but most of the good stuff is just plain worn out.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=105937&dateline=12402 73871[/SIGPIC]