Thread: Nervous about my Corsair X256gb ssd

Xtreme Member

Nervous about my Corsair X256gb ssd

On Friday I decided to order a Corsair X256 drive based on reviews I had seen. It was to be shipped late Monday.
    On the weekend, I began to read reports on the Corsair forum of the failures of the x256 as well as other manufacturers Indeillix barefoot drives.
    So on Monday, I called Corsair to hear it from their tech support. I was told that there is a slightly higher failure rate (3%) on the earlier drives but I shouldn't worry.
    So I waited for delivery. Today, I installed the drive in my laptop and the installation went fine. Windows 7 did its usual reboots and there was no problem. I proceeded to use the computer for a few hours, ran ATTO and then did a shut down and left for home.

Tonight I turned on the computer, and Windows wouldn't boot. I received the message that Windows cannot start. So I loaded the recovery dvd and it would not work. It would sit there trying to read the wimndows installation but not do anything. So I rebooted and told it to load drivers, and it presented my with all of the folders on the drive and everything looked good.

However, it would not start. I have had to do a reinstall. Now, it is now working, and I have done a power down and then a restart and it is still working, but I have a bad feeling with this. IN all my years of building systems I have never had something like this happen. Nor with the 10 other SSD's I have installed recently not indellix). It's as if the boot tracks were lost.

IN my opinion, I think that there is a serious issue with the X series of drives and Corsait should come clean and offer alternate replacements. This is a major pain in the neck. My suppplier wants a $150 restocking fee. If I replace this with an RMA, then it will take a few weeks (iI'm in Canada).
    This is probably Corsairs most expensive product, and I don't take it lightly that I just shelled out $900 for this drive.

I have lost faith in this company. I think they know there is a problem but they are using the consumers as beta testers. They should come clean. Like Toyota.

Edit: Computer was turned off for the night and this morning it had lost it's OS again.
    Last edited by tomb18; 02-04-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Worlds Fastest F5
    From my research:

Corsair X series = FAIL

Corsair P series = a much better idea
    X5670 B1 @175x24=4.2GHz @1.24v LLC on
    Rampage III Extreme Bios 0003
    G.skill Eco @1600 (7-7-7-20 1T) @1.4v
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Auzen X-FI Prelude
    Seasonic X-650 PSU
    Intel X25-E SLC RAID 0
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Corsair H70 with dual 1600 rpm fan
    Corsair 800D
    3008WFP A00

Xtreme Infrastructure Eng
    I purchased an X32 in November thinking the company would roll out firmware updates as regularly as OCZ and Super Talent. That assumption was a mistake, but the drive has actually been a pretty solid performer in my work laptop (Lenovo T500, Arch Linux.) I've noticed no signs of real-world performance loss in daily operations, but simple tests like bonnie++ prove otherwise. My usage pattern is pretty typical aside from constant use of a XP VM for conformity.

I hope your issues get sorted out. Being stuck with a "bum" product is a total nightmare especially at this price level. I've included my experience so as to not paint a bad picture on the entire X series line...though I also wouldn't recommend the drives at this point.
    Less is more.

Xtreme Addict
    If its any consolation I had some issues with my x25-m's in my laptop (but the drive was 100% fine in my desktop every time) where the drive wouldn't be detected sometimes when 1st powered up however if I power off and back on quickly (no waiting on spindown) and all was right with the world.

I'm guessing its something to do with the hard disk controllers in our laptops. If you get the chance try testing with ACHI/NCQ mode on or off and see if it makes a difference.