Thread: Memory step-up?

Xtreme Member

Memory step-up?

This is something I've been toying with ever since I saw eVGA's step-up program. Wouldn't it be nice if more component manufacturers offered step-up programs?

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to pay the difference between a 4gb kit of DDRII-800 and end up with a 4gb kit of DDRII-1600? You could even have a lot of restrictions on the upgrade option like requiring the memory to be traded in be in perfect working order, require the orig reciept and so on and so forth and people would still hail G.Skill for offering this option even if few actually used it.

I know it wasn't long after I recently bought this kit of DDRII-800 that G.Skill came out with that sexy ass Pi DDRII-1100 and I sooo wanted to upgrade to that ram but didn't want to hastle with selling my ram at a sizeable loss then having to fork out extra cash to make the upgrade while my rig sits without memory ( which in my case I have a 2gb kit of craptacular Corsair Dominator to tide me over but thats me, many don't have spare ram ).

I would still love to be able to trade my ram up for some of that Pi DDRII-1100 but I just don't feel like taking a $10 - $15 loss on my relatively recently purchased ram just to make the relatively small upgrade although DDRII-834 @ 4-4-4-12 with 1.8 - 1.9v is very tempting and is my main reasin for wanting the Pi, that and I like the blue heat spreaders
    Currently playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat with Misery 2.1.1 and being miserable the entire time.

G.Skill USA Tech
    Implementing a step up program may be possible, but we will need to conduct further research to see if it is feasible. We currently do offer something like this, but it is not official. We will look further into this and if we conclude that it would be very beneficial to our customers then we may make the program official.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH
    Feel free to contact ustech@gskillusa.com or use our G.Skill Q&A Sub-Forum, if having any questions about G.Skill products

Check out our items on NewEgg

Xtreme Member
    Soooo, a year later. Any official word on this?
    Currently playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat with Misery 2.1.1 and being miserable the entire time.

G.Skill USA Tech
    We do accept special cases for this. Contact the RMA department for details. Let them know the model number kit you have and which you are interested in and they will respond back with details and whether it is feasible.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH
    Feel free to contact ustech@gskillusa.com or use our G.Skill Q&A Sub-Forum, if having any questions about G.Skill products

Is this program still intact?

G.Skill USA Tech
    Contact the RMA dept. and they can provide details.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH