Thread: Intel 6 series chipset to come in Q1 2011 (FUD)

Banned

Intel 6 series chipset to come in Q1 2011 (FUD)

With Westmere CPUs

Intel's next generation chipset simply codenamed Intel 6 series Express chipset should launch in Q1 2011. This chipset will be necessary for Sandy Bridge generation of 32nm processor and it will finally get SATA 6GB/s in Intel chipsets.

Since CPU has a memory controller, display and some audio features integrated, there is not much for Intel to do in Northbridge, but we still don’t know if Intel 6 series can make it in one chip, we still expect two chips.

The codename of the chipset is Cougar Point and we can only hope that USB 3.0 support is also there.

www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17554/1

Anyone hoping we'll have LGA 1366 Sandy Bridge derivatives?
    Last edited by -Sweeper_; 02-05-2010 at 06:39 AM.

I wonder if this new chipset will require a different socket, but that won't really bother me anyway because I usually change platforms once every year anyway. Hoping to see native USB3 and SATA3 support along with PCI 3.0, and hopefully quad channel support on X68 will make my day.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

I am Xtreme
    Well, only makes sense! Since SB is scheduled for Q1 2011 as well.
    And doubt SB will be available for s1366, nope.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    I wonder if this new chipset will require a different socket, but that won't really bother me anyway because I usually change platforms once every year anyway. Hoping to see native USB3 and SATA3 support along with PCI 3.0, and hopefully quad channel support on X68 will make my day.
    6 series chipset interface upgrade to DMI2,only has SATA3,no usb3,no PCIE 3.0.

X68 is still tri channel.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    It may also support Light Peak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Peak

''Light Peak is Intel's code-name for a new high-speed optical cable technology designed to connect electronic devices to each other in a peripheral bus. It has the capability to deliver high bandwidth, starting at 10 Gbps, with the potential ability to scale to 100 Gbps. It is intended as a single universal replacement for current buses such as SCSI, SATA, USB, FireWire, and HDMI. In comparison to these buses, Light Peak is much faster, longer ranged, smaller, and more flexible in terms of protocol support.''

I am Xtreme
    Mmmm, Light Peak sounds delicious! Bring it on!
    Somehow I doubt it will be included, though.
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mindfury View Post
    6 series chipset interface upgrade to DMI2,only has SATA3,no usb3,no PCIE 3.0.

No USB 3.0? What are they thinking?!? Seriously. What are they thinking.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolas View Post
    I don't think that's set in stone.
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Member
    Intel internal PDF said no support for USB3 before 2012.
    Last edited by mindfury; 02-05-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sweeper_ View Post
    Anyone hoping we'll have LGA 1366 Sandy Bridge derivatives?
    not possible since SB uses a different vcore protocol.
    it IS however possible to have X58 based sandy bridge boards... and depending on pricing and availability of x68 that might actually happen

Quote Originally Posted by mindfury View Post
    x68 and x58 are both 0 channel :P

i dont understand what x68 is even meant for... i doubt its a new chipset at all, its probably x58 shrunken to a smaller process to make it cheaper and less power hungry. this is a highend workstation and desktop and server chipset, so who cares about igp support?

it would be cool if there would be more pciE lanes... maybe tripple 16x... then this chipset would at least make SOME sense for the highend workstation/gaming market... but i wouldnt hold my breath, this new chipset will be intels way of taxing the new cpu socket i think..

tax1 = cpu socket
    tax2 = chipset

maybe they will come up with a third new tax...
    its great to have your own platform that you locked out any and all competition from

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolas View Post
    light peak maybe?
    its funny since intel is the biggest player in the usb consortium, but they might actually skip usb3 and go for lightpeak... and tbh... if they would do that, id be all in favor of it...

Xtreme Addict
    it is just a new x58 rev c2 that will launch mid march, together with the 6 core.

Weather or not Intel marketing will call it x68 to increase sales and fool customers or if it is really required to support the 6 core, i don't know yet.
    Last edited by duploxxx; 02-05-2010 at 09:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by duploxxx View Post
    it is just a new x58 rev c2 that will launch mid march, together with the 6 core.

Weather or not Intel marketing will call it x68 to increase sales and fool customers or if it is really required to support the 6 core, i don't know yet.
    not even a die shrink? not even 4 extra pciE links? :o
    man, intel is really getting cheaper and cheaper...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    not even a die shrink? not even 4 extra pciE links? :o
    man, intel is really getting cheaper and cheaper...
    Doesn't sound much different than x38>x48 thb.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    light peak maybe?
    its funny since intel is the biggest player in the usb consortium, but they might actually skip usb3 and go for lightpeak... and tbh... if they would do that, id be all in favor of it...
    you know, i think that light peek and other standard advancements are being put on hold; pending the ftc trial. because i dont think that intel could release light peek, and have it not work with amd/other chips?
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duploxxx View Post

The 6 series discussed in the article is due in 2011 not march. Given the use of the currently established QPI interface (on Sandy Bridge) there is no reason it couldn't be adapted for both socket 1366 and whatever socket high end Sandy Bridge derivatives use.

Upgraded DMI is a given (it was semi hinted by Francois here if memory serves me right), also an accompanying SATA 6Gb capable southbridge. It'd be nice if they boosted PCIe capacity to at least 48 or more links; given the number of slots on upcoming AMD boards, the 890FX is almost guaranteed to offer more than Intel's X58...