Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 120-240mm AIO/sealed, low cost, WC systems

Xtreme Member
    Don't get what the flamewar about closed low-end LC systems is about.
    It's not meant as a competitor to DIY LC systems, but for high-end air.
    Project TJ07 WeeMaan edition in progress...

i7 920 @ 4,4ghz, P6T Deluxe, Corsair Dominator 6Gb, HD5870, OCZ Vertex 60gb + Samsung F1 1tb

Heatkiller copper, EK 5870, Thermochill 120.4, DDC 3.2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah that's precisely where the battles are fought, and neither has won conclusively.
    It really depends on ones needs/set-up/budget...

For most ATX cases/mobo's it can be well argued that top-end air is still better value than closed low-end LC systems.
    But it starts to shift strongly in favour of the latter when you move towards mATX cases/mobo's.
    Last edited by jalyst; 02-05-2010 at 02:37 AM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Yeah that's precisely where the battles are fought, and neither has won conclusively.
    It really depends on ones needs/set-up/budget...

For most ATX cases/mobo's it can be well argued that top-end air is still better value than closed low-end LC systems.
    But it starts to shift strongly in favour of the latter when you move towards mATX cases/mobo's.
    This is just why I was interested in these kits, for the mATX builds that I do all the time. I have looked at the Water Cooling kits also but wanted to compare.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=241925

Xtreme Enthusiast
    honestly, it'd be better to go with high end air cooling in my opinion.. you dont have to worry about a pump failing and if you're dealing with that lowend of water you probably wont bother checking things like a pump... that'd be a bad way to loose a chip. air cooling is just easier at that level and less crap to deal with.

im pretty sure 99% of the people on xtreme systems arent going to fall into the category of your avg consumer... and in my opinion these prebuilt watercooling kits with a small rad are all for ill-informed consumers who fail to do research... as for saving money on a HTPC build... most people who have a HTPC honestly dont need to worry about the 100 bucks difference between "real" watercooling and a kit like the H50 as that usually means they've got atleast one desktop thats usually pretty badass... the HTPC just needs to be fast enough to decode blurays and stream videos.
    SYSTEM
    i5-3750K @ 4.6ghz - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - 16GB Samsung DDR3 - Sapphire R7 370 Nitro 4GB
    Water Cooling
    EK Supremecy - DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top -Swiftech MCR320-QP - EK Multioption 150

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If pump dies, CPU overheats, and PC is auto shut-down, no biggy.
    Besides, I'd be likely to replace the system long before pump failure.

I do have some decent air coolers I can switch to should I want to.
    I would like to try a LCLC 1st though, for prior stated reasons...

Thanks for your thoughts though.
    Last edited by jalyst; 02-05-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Does anyone know for sure that the 3590 is exactly the same as Asetek's LCLC 240mm?
    I'm trying to decide which of those two I prefer (still not 100% decided on 240mm systems)
    So long as there's definitely no significant differences, then it'll come down to availability/cost.

Thank-you.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeMaan View Post
    Don't get what the flamewar about closed low-end LC systems is about.
    Umm, if you watched the video Hondacity linked to, they themselves were directly comparing their system to a supposed "latest equipment" DIY water cooling @ CES. Another example of CoolIT talking out both ends at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Does anyone know for sure that the 3590 is exactly the same as Asetek's LCLC 240mm?
    I'm trying to decide which of those two I prefer (still not 100% decided on 240mm systems)
    So long as there's definitely no significant differences, then it'll come down to availability/cost.

Thank-you.
    Yes, both are Asetek systems. Click on the JonnyGuru review link in your first link. If you go through the pics carefully, you'll see one of the pump/block unit that has the Asetek logo on the top of it.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Umm, if you watched the video Hondacity linked to, they themselves were directly comparing their system to a supposed "latest equipment" DIY water cooling @ CES. Another example of CoolIT talking out both ends at the same time. .
    Yeah I know, I saw it. Big fail from them, but that was just marketing bs anyway.
    But besides from that there is no reason to hate LCLC.
    Project TJ07 WeeMaan edition in progress...

i7 920 @ 4,4ghz, P6T Deluxe, Corsair Dominator 6Gb, HD5870, OCZ Vertex 60gb + Samsung F1 1tb

Heatkiller copper, EK 5870, Thermochill 120.4, DDC 3.2

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeMaan View Post
    Yeah I know, I saw it. Big fail from them, but that was just marketing bs anyway.
    But besides from that there is no reason to hate LCLC.
    Hate to break it to ya but, ppl buy these kit because of the marketing BS.

As for hating them, are they are a "liquid cooling system"?. . .sadly yes. Most of the ppl that buy the marketing BS believe they are getting a "true water cooling system"...False, everyone here knows that, but the poor sap that's been milked was sadly very un or worse yet misinformed/misled. So they get mad when they find out that someone on air is getting as good/better temps than them and they go around and bad mouth water cooling saying it's a rip off or worse yet, that cheap kit they got blows up or breaks on them and damages their brand new $3500-5000 rig. In that case they are down right furious and then the whole hobby has another Erin Brockovich to deal with.

Do it right or don't do it at all, it's safer for everybody that way.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm not one of those as-you-say "poor saps" that's expecting something that'll "kill" air.
    And anyone browsing this thread won't get that impression either.

So can we all stay on-topic now please?
    I'm starting to appreciate what NaeKuh was talking about now

I'm changing the subject to:
    120-240mm AIO/sealed, low cost, WC systems
    (let me know if you think the name's no good)

Because aside from Eco/H50 comparative data/reviews...
    I am also interested in hearing about experiences w/similar systems that have 240mm rads.

This hasn't been widely publicised in the media....
    But apparently CoolIT are releasing an Eco with a 240mm rad at the same time as the 120mm Eco.
    It'll use the same head unit, but have slightly different radiator/hosing.

Conclusive data on the Eco and it's 240mm brethren is too far off for me.
    So in the meantime I'm interested in hearing from those who can help me with post #32.

That is; deciding between the LCLC 240mm and the NQ-3890...*
    Still checking local availability for both, if neither are in Oz then the choice will be easy.

Thanks all.
    *I've emailed both co's, so I may get answers soon hopefully.
    Last edited by jalyst; 02-06-2010 at 12:54 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I do not have any real data for temps or comparison, but I do have a 240mm Asetek LCLC system installed in my HTPC housed in an Antec Fusion Media case and it all looks pretty good. Here is a picture if it helps:

http://tinypic.com/m/5bxwcm/3

It is not anything fancy or elaborate, but better than any coolers I could fit in the case due to its short height. It DOES beat a Scythe Ninja Mini for what that is worth haha

And I ordered the Asetek kit off NCIX, here is the link:
    http://www.ncixus.com/products/35702...012200/Asetek/

Xtreme Mentor
    Any watercooling rig bought without at last a few weeks of informed, smart research isn't worth it. Some people have the ability to use google, some don't. That gets rid of 60-90% of the folks. Then the remainining 10% might spend a week or two learning, then buy and fail at a 50% rate.

Leaving us with with few folks wanting or able or budget crippled. I like it. Only the best get it right. New folks with a job that can afford the best. Meaning sucessful people, movers in the real world. Ones who 'got a clue'.

Doing it right is great. Knowing how to do it depends on your education level, you genes from your parents, and your ability to buy something that is totally not required.

WC properly is for the class rich. Knowlege, money, ability. Yes, I have a big house, and a nice car. I have a clue.

In the OP posts, low cost in the title. Umm. Sorry, low cost? Low? $1500 or $2000? More?
    Last edited by Conumdrum; 02-05-2010 at 09:30 PM.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think you must've misread some of my earlier posts....

I played w/full-blown custom loops for a few years & I'm well aware that LCLC systems are not a replacement.
    As I have repeatedly said, that is not the focus in this thread...

If you're trying to say you're smarter/richer than others because you use customs loops.
    Well I'm not sure how you make that leap, let alone why you'd so quickly jump to personal affronts.

You don't have to partake in the topic if it doesn't interest you, simple.
    Last edited by jalyst; 02-05-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by scook9 View Post
    I do not have any real data for temps or comparison, but I do have a 240mm Asetek LCLC system installed in my HTPC housed in an Antec Fusion Media case and it all looks pretty good. Here is a picture if it helps:

http://tinypic.com/m/5bxwcm/3

It is not anything fancy or elaborate, but better than any coolers I could fit in the case due to its short height. It DOES beat a Scythe Ninja Mini for what that is worth haha

And I ordered the Asetek kit off NCIX, here is the link:
    http://www.ncixus.com/products/35702...012200/Asetek/
    Thanks for sharing your experiences!
    So even a 240mm looks totally doable on a desktop form-factor case.

I love the fact that there's so much room internally!
    That's almost exactly what I had envisaged for my set-up.

Although of course my case will be different...
    And I may have both push & pull fans in concert w/shrouds
    And I may attempt to keep the push fans internal...

I've emailed both vendors to confirm if they're the same.
    I believe they are judging by photos, but I prefer to be sure.

It may turn out they're not availably locally anyway!
    In which case I'll just get the H50...

But I still intend to follow progress of the Eco and Eco 240.
    As they will be available locally within the next mth.
    Last edited by jalyst; 02-05-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Never go full retard
    jaylst, I've got to give you credit for hanging in there and beating away the haters. Its also nice that you see the H50 and ECO for what they are and not products they were never intended to be.

Xtreme Member
    Oh yeah, this is a good thread! So much good stuff here, where can I start?

First of all jalyst wants info on what he calls "120-240mm AIO/sealed, low cost, WC systems". And he comes to XtremeSystems to get answers. That is like going to a Porsche owner's club, and asking the members' opinions on the newest Volkswagen. I doubt you will hear too many kind words for the Volkswagen.

Now let's move on to Hondacity's video. OMG, what a joke. That video should have a warning label: "WARNING: this video contains 100% fraudulence. View at your own risk: viewing may induce nausea, cramping, anger, rage and/ or hysterical laughter." But seriously the guy in the video is not being truthful about the age of the cpu block and the diameter of the tubing, so how can we believe his test results are honest? We can't. He is what the French would call "faux". Here in New York, we call it "lying". I don't know what they call it where you come from, but it is not nice.

Next, wait a minute, NaeKuh is an elitist? Since when? What? Wait. rly? No, I don't believe it.

Next, Waterlogged was outraged and wanted to flame somebody? rly? No, I can't believe that either.

Finally let me try to answer jaylst's question, which was something about wanting to hear "about experiences with 120-240mm AIO/sealed, low cost, WC systems systems." Well I don't have any personal experience with those systems, to be honest. The only one that looks interesting to me is the one with the built-in peltier cooler, which is called the Coolit Freezone Elite, I think. I would tell you to look into that one, but again the best info I can give you is that a guy I know had one, and he claimed he got a great overclock on an AMD chip that is hard to overclock with it, but I did not witness this firsthand, so I guess this is really hearsay, and is not what you are looking for. Otherwise I can assure you that a 240mm radiator is ALWAYS better than a 120mm rad regardless of the system. I hope this helps, but if not, well what can I say, I'm a member of this club, and I don't care much for Volkswagens.
    Last edited by eth0s; 02-06-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    jaylst, I've got to give you credit for hanging in there and beating away the haters. Its also nice that you see the H50 and ECO for what they are and not products they were never intended to be.
    Thanks skinnee, I don't think there's been any haters, just people that have misunderstood the intent of this thread.
    Hopefully we can just remain on topic...

I've had someone claim that they read somewhere that the NQ-3890 is only 5% better than the H50.
    "5% better" is very vague so I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but taking it on face-value %5 is less of difference than I'd have expected.

Needless to say I'm currently doing some research to see whether there's any basis to this, and if so what it really means.
    If it's true then the same will apply to the Asetek LCLC 240mm, because as far as I can tell, it's exactly the same device.*

*in the midst of getting 100% confirmation on this
    Last edited by jalyst; 02-06-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eth0s View Post
    Finally let me try to answer jaylst's question, which was something about wanting to hear "about experiences with 120-240mm AIO/sealed, low cost, WC systems systems." Well I don't have any personal experience with those systems, to be honest. The only one that looks interesting to me is the one with the built-in peltier cooler, which is called the Coolit Freezone Elite, I think. I would tell you to look into that one, but again the best info I can give you is that a guy I know had one, and he claimed he got a great overclock on an AMD chip that is hard to overclock with it, but I did not witness this firsthand, so I guess this is really hearsay, and is not what you are looking for. Otherwise I can assure you that a 240mm radiator is ALWAYS better than a 120mm rad regardless of the system. I hope this helps, but if not, well what can I say, I'm a member of this club, and I don't care much for Volkswagens.
    No worries, you can be a member of whatever club you want to.
    Yes I'm aware of the Freezone, alas it's a different class of cooler & doesn't fit my needs, but thanks for trying to be constructive.
    Thanks again for offering your thoughts!
    Last edited by jalyst; 02-06-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I did a lot of research on hte CoolIT kits last year and ended up with the conclusion that they are decent, but get overwhelmed easily enough. The FreeZone Elite has 6 peliter pieces on a relatively small radiator and the review said they were decent for a mild overclock but got overwhelmed at higher temps.

The H50 IS an Asetek kit but it has a better waterblock than the stock Asetek kits, otherwise - same thing

Xtreme Member
    Last edited by Clunk; 02-06-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks Clunk,

I'll wait for some more reviews before passing total judgement, but it doesn't look good.
    Have you benched any of the 240mm LCLC systems or the H50?

Xtreme Member
    I haven't used the Corsair or 240 LCLC, sorry. May do in future though

I should also point out that the sample may just be a bad one, but we had exactly the same thing with the Domino, 3 bad units in a row, so they do seem to have some quality control issues in that respect.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That would be great, there's three that I'm aware of: NQ-3590, Asetek LCLC 240mm, & Eco 240mm.
    Did you notice any physical flaws which would not usually be the norm, & may have impeded it's effectiveness?

Xtreme Member
    Difficult to say if it was the norm, I suspect that CoolIT will say that it isn't, but it will be interesting to see what other reviewers make of their sample.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I hope it was just a flawed unit but if it was, it does make one worry about their quality control.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast