Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 56

Thread: Car won't start help please!

  1. #26
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    319
    Take a wire brush and carefully clean it all up, do not get it on any other parts or your hands either. Unscrew the terminals, take some fine sandpaper and try to get a nice shinny surface, same thing with the connector on the battery. After you put everything back together, take some dielectric grease and put it on the terminal to reduce corrosion in the future. Corrosion increases resistance, not enough amps going through = slow or no start at all.
    Last edited by noroger; 02-04-2010 at 11:48 AM.

  2. #27
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,477
    Okay so, could I essentially just yank out the battery skip the sandpaper and what have you and put in a new battery?

    I really rather not spend time sanding a battery and touching that crap, But how should I properly clean those cables? Can I throw that stuff in the trash even?
    Last edited by Glow9; 02-04-2010 at 11:54 AM.

  3. #28
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    Okay so, could I essentially just yank out the battery skip the sandpaper and what have you and put in a new battery?

    I really rather not spend time sanding a battery and touching that crap, But how should I properly clean those cables? Can I throw that stuff in the trash even?
    It takes 15 minutes max to do all that, and you probably don't need a new battery because it's the corrosion that's not letting the car to start. You don't need to sand it very nicely like a computer heatsink, just enough for a decent connection between the battery and the terminal wires. Put on some gloves and use something like a paper towel, you can soak it in a little bit of water too for easier cleanup. For disposal, take the paper towels you used and throw them into a bucket, throw some baking soda on them and put water in it. Baking soda neutralizes acid, so you can dispose of the water and the paper towels however you want afterwards.

    Cleaning cables is the same thing, use water or water with baking soda (much better). Then take something round, and wrap around sand paper, then stick it in the terminal and make it a little shinny.
    Last edited by noroger; 02-04-2010 at 12:07 PM.

  4. #29
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,477
    Thanks

  5. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    72
    They also sell spray on battery terminal cleaner that works very well. When you're done I recommend getting corrosion prevention pads that go under the terminals. They're cheap and effective.

    EDIT: BTW that looks like it may be the orriginal battery. It is definately a factory battery. If you lift the lid so I can see the part number I can tell.
    Last edited by HoJo; 02-04-2010 at 01:30 PM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=105937&dateline=12402 73871[/SIGPIC]

  6. #31
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,477
    Well that was a bastard even with my Dad helping. Picked up some battery cleaner then read how toxic it was so I borrowed my neighbours broom cleaned the top off looks like brand new. Took it to 2 places they both said it was at 10volts should be 12. What could possibly be sucking the battery life down?
    I mean he said 11volts is kinda the limit and since it was at 10 it was waaay down. So I dont get how one day it could be fine the next drained so low? Anyone have any ideas?
    The guy at batteries plus is now charging the battery to find out if it is actually okay and something in my car could have been sucking it dry.

  7. #32
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,477
    *punt*
    If I clean the cables off should I really dunk them in water + baking soda? Will this foam up or are you guys f'ing with me about this?

  8. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    *punt*
    If I clean the cables off should I really dunk them in water + baking soda? Will this foam up or are you guys f'ing with me about this?
    Didn't you ever mix vinegar and baking soda? Same thing.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=105937&dateline=12402 73871[/SIGPIC]

  9. #34
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,477
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    Didn't you ever mix vinegar and baking soda? Same thing.
    I've had a long day... So should I or shouldn't I do this? Call me stupid if need be I just want clean cables. and this to be done right. Otherwise I'm going to just scrub them with a toothbrush.

  10. #35
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    I've had a long day... So should I or shouldn't I do this? Call me stupid if need be I just want clean cables. and this to be done right. Otherwise I'm going to just scrub them with a toothbrush.
    It's more work, but there will be a slower corrosion buildup in the future. Yes it will foam up, as HoJo said, same thing as mixing vinegar with baking soda.

    For how long did you crank your car? Maybe you just discharged the battery after very long cracking, that's why the low voltage.
    Last edited by noroger; 02-05-2010 at 08:18 AM.

  11. #36
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,477
    That is a good point too. Really is, so I cleaned it up I used leather gloves which resulted in me dropping the toothbrush and water catch through my engine bay area whatevr, I was using for the cable since they are soo damn short it makes them hard to pull up and clean. I couldn't get all the blue off of them however I got a bunch as the puddle of crap under my car would indicate So ran some water through to get any blue bits that fell in my car out and dried up the battery area.

    Considering there is still some blue gunk on the battery wire connectors I'll be getting some of that grease you guys are talking about that should do the trick in making a better connection I'd bet. I still think the funniest thing was the broom cleaning the battery better than some that were done on youtube. Go figure, this really was a pain in the ass since this batter didn't come with a handle. If I get a new one bet your butt it will.

    So after this gongshow I'm just waiting to hear back from batteries plus. I really have no idea what could have drained my battery. When I go in for my 40k checkup for my car do you guys think if they run the diagnostic thing it would show if something could be draining it?

  12. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    72
    If you're close to your 40k just bring it in and have them check the system while you're there. You're assuming something is draining your battery. It may just be at the end of it's life. Your best bet is to just have it checked out.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=105937&dateline=12402 73871[/SIGPIC]

  13. #38
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,477
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    If you're close to your 40k just bring it in and have them check the system while you're there. You're assuming something is draining your battery. It may just be at the end of it's life. Your best bet is to just have it checked out.
    Oh the battery itself is at batteries plus getting checked out seeif if they can charge it or not. It was waaay past where it should be that why they were so curious if someone was left on draining it. I'll have the VW guys check out the car, if I need a new battery no big deal. I rather get a new one with a handle than this horrible POS anyways haha.

  14. #39
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,477
    Okay so car started, had to return a new battery. People at VW said weren't sure about the group of battery because all of theirs come from the factory... Uh huh.. Well anyways long story short group 47 work group 48 does not fit! despite what some people say online and on Batteries Plus website. It's about an .5-1inch to big. So Group 47 for the win. Going to drive over to batteries plus tomorrow to see if something in my cars sucking juice out of it when its not on.

  15. #40
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    311
    I can't add much to the discussion but here's my recent experience.

    A few weeks ago I think I forgot to turn off the ceiling light in my car. I left it running for a few days (I don't drive often), and I think it completely drained the battery. The morning that I found out that the battery died, I really had to go somewhere. Called up my buddies and all - no help from them at all, but one suggested I call the school police. (I'm a student, live near a university) I gave them a call, and a cop came by within 10 minutes and gave me a jump.

    I wonder if normal 911 would do this?

  16. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by krogen View Post
    I can't add much to the discussion but here's my recent experience.

    A few weeks ago I think I forgot to turn off the ceiling light in my car. I left it running for a few days (I don't drive often), and I think it completely drained the battery. The morning that I found out that the battery died, I really had to go somewhere. Called up my buddies and all - no help from them at all, but one suggested I call the school police. (I'm a student, live near a university) I gave them a call, and a cop came by within 10 minutes and gave me a jump.

    I wonder if normal 911 would do this?
    Please tell me you're kidding about calling 911.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=105937&dateline=12402 73871[/SIGPIC]

  17. #42
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by krogen View Post
    I can't add much to the discussion but here's my recent experience.

    A few weeks ago I think I forgot to turn off the ceiling light in my car. I left it running for a few days (I don't drive often), and I think it completely drained the battery. The morning that I found out that the battery died, I really had to go somewhere. Called up my buddies and all - no help from them at all, but one suggested I call the school police. (I'm a student, live near a university) I gave them a call, and a cop came by within 10 minutes and gave me a jump.

    I wonder if normal 911 would do this?
    Dont call 911 call your non emergency line, but they will do it just like if you lock your keys in your car.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

  18. #43
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    That is a good point too. Really is, so I cleaned it up I used leather gloves which resulted in me dropping the toothbrush and water catch through my engine bay area whatevr, I was using for the cable since they are soo damn short it makes them hard to pull up and clean. I couldn't get all the blue off of them however I got a bunch as the puddle of crap under my car would indicate So ran some water through to get any blue bits that fell in my car out and dried up the battery area.

    Considering there is still some blue gunk on the battery wire connectors I'll be getting some of that grease you guys are talking about that should do the trick in making a better connection I'd bet. I still think the funniest thing was the broom cleaning the battery better than some that were done on youtube. Go figure, this really was a pain in the ass since this batter didn't come with a handle. If I get a new one bet your butt it will.

    So after this gongshow I'm just waiting to hear back from batteries plus. I really have no idea what could have drained my battery. When I go in for my 40k checkup for my car do you guys think if they run the diagnostic thing it would show if something could be draining it?
    since there is still "blue junk" on the battery have you done the sandpaper? That is the first thing I do. Then get the grease tighten the bolts down to where the cables wont move and your good.
    Also never wore any gloves the few times I have had to clean a battery, but I am sure that made it a little more of a hassle than normal.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

  19. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    30
    edit.........
    Last edited by nauc; 02-05-2010 at 10:43 PM.

  20. #45
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,477
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffPCair View Post
    since there is still "blue junk" on the battery have you done the sandpaper? That is the first thing I do. Then get the grease tighten the bolts down to where the cables wont move and your good.
    Also never wore any gloves the few times I have had to clean a battery, but I am sure that made it a little more of a hassle than normal.
    Battery is gone.
    My Dad went to batteries plus to check on the battery today first since he lives near the batteries plus I live a city over he watched the guy do his thing and that battery wouldn't hold a charge. So I have a new one, the car starts up just fine. Still some blue stuff even after I scrubbed them with toothbrush and baking soda and water. But we sprayed them down and the terminals with some toxic crap for the battery I forget the stuff, I would have prefered the dielectric grease but my Dad picked the spray stuff up at batteries plus when he was there. I dunno sprays out red. Either way least my car is running again.
    Hopefully all is well tomorrow when I go get it checked at batteries plus just to see nothing random is draining it. Really Really hoping it was just a dieing battery.

    I dunno what I should do with this spray crap, it's clearly toxic and I dont want to keep it in my tool box. Any safe places I can toss toxic crap like this? Seriously I talk about the grease for 2 days and he gets the spray. This is after the first day when he didn't want to use terminal cleaner spray (which I have to return now) because it was toxic and has cancer warnings on it. So now I have 2 bottles of essentially the same crap.
    Last edited by Glow9; 02-05-2010 at 11:03 PM.

  21. #46
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    Please tell me you're kidding about calling 911.
    I didn't call 911, I called the school police. (local number)

  22. #47
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Farmington Hills, Mich.
    Posts
    916
    What's your big hangup on chemicals?
    The MSDS for red battery terminal spray shows it's wax, oil and solvents. Take out the wax & oil and it's a lot like the gas you pump into the car all the time. Don't get freaked out about some California warnings that indicate that someone died within 10 years of contacting the contents of the package. It's only a carcinogen in California, not according to National Toxicology Program, IARC Monographs nor OSHA.
    MSDS: http://dekabattery.us/assets/base/g.pdf

    don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

  23. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by krogen View Post
    I wonder if normal 911 would do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by krogen View Post
    I didn't call 911, I called the school police. (local number)
    I was referring to the last sentence of your post. It sounds as if you're suggesting 911 may help.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=105937&dateline=12402 73871[/SIGPIC]

  24. #49
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VA, USA
    Posts
    932
    Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) does the job as a Dielectric grease just as well.
    You can pick it up at any Grocery store, CVS.

    Make sure you get the unscented kind.
    I got the Generic CVS brand.

  25. #50
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,060
    The blue gunk looks like copper sulfate. Your battery was probably venting some sulfuric acid into the terminal area, reacting with the copper in the cable and causing that corrosion. I wouldn't be surprised if your positive battery cable fails shortly.

    Anyways, as far as lead-acid car batteries go, 12.6 volts is fully charged, and anything less then about 12-12.1 is not going to start your car
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •