Thread: ***NVIDIA GTX280 Engineering Sample Review*** [56K Warning]

***NVIDIA GTX280 Engineering Sample Review*** [56K Warning]

***Genuine NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 Engineering Sample (A1 Revision) Review***

Introduction

This card was "accidentally" discovered upon purchase of a mystery GPU (looking like a GT200 series video card) located on a bid on eBay. Link Here. Originally I purchased it expecting it to be some dead GT200 series GPU just so I could try out the oven bake method and see if I could revive it. But upon reception of this GPU, I had noticed it was quite unusual in some ways. In most cases it was resembling a GTX280 because it had a backplate and also an 8+6 pin power connector configuration. The best my guess would have been is that this is an OEM GTX280. However, first difference I noticed is that there were no stickers or marking on it what-so-ever. Secondly, this card had a silver aluminum top sink (which was never seen before). Thirdly this card seemed to be heavier and made of a much higher quality than the previous GTX280's I have worked with. Upon further inspection and detailed Google searches, I realized this was no ordinary GTX280.

It appeared that I have just received a Genuine NVIDIA GTX 280 Engineering Sample, and not just any engineering sample but an A1 Revision (meaning one of the first GT200 video cards ever made). Of course you can expect I was a little skeptical and I had thought that there would be no chance this video card was working. So I decided to give it to a friend of mine to test it while I was away. And surely enough, the card POSTed and booted perfectly fine into Windows. Soon as I came home I decided to disassemble it and take a close look at what this thing looked like from the inside. Let's see what this thing looks like:

Closer Look

Disassembly

Thermal Paste Cleaning/Replacement and Reassembly

First Impression Detailed

Straight on first inspection, I could tell this thing was unusually well made. The quality of the parts they used to build this thing was unlike I've seen before and the cooier looked exceptionally effective due to it's design. I can tell you for a fact the cooler design is much different on the retail GTX280's. It also appeared that NVIDIA is smart with their thermal paste application and doesn't overdo it (unlike it's partners). The only thing I was somewhat surprised about is that NVIDIA decided to go with the cheaper Hynix video memory manufacturer. They aren't known to be the most exceptional RAM producers but this video memory did seen a little better than I expected.

At this point, the procedure was reversed and the card was reassembled and prepped for tomorrow night's testing.

Test Setup

Motherboard: EVGA nForce 780i
    BIOS Version: P09 (Latest)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (4.27 GHz)
    RAM: OCZ Vista Upgrade 4GB 800 MHz DDR2 (5-6-6-18-2T Timings)
    HD: Samsung 80GB SATA
    PSU: Delta Electronics 800 Watt
    CPU Heatsink: Xigmatek Dark Knight HDT-1283V
    Drivers: NVIDIA ForceWare 186.18 64-Bit

Benchmark Settings

3DMark Vantage Professional Edition: Default Performance Settings
    Crysis v1.2.1: 1440x900/1680x1050/1920x1200, "Very High" Settings, no AA, DirectX 10, 64-Bit

Temperature Testing Settings

Furmark: 1440x900, Stability Test, Xtreme Burning Mode, 16xAA, no Post-Processing

BIOS Settings

Stock BIOS: 62.00.01.00.D5

Core Clock: 600 MHz
    Shader Clock: 1300 MHz
    Memory Clock: 1050 MHz
    Stock Voltage: 1.05 V

Updated BIOS: 62.00.0E.00.01

Core Clock: 602 MHz
    Shader Clock: 1296 MHz
    Memory Clock: 1107 MHz
    Stock Voltage: 1.18 V

Testing

Benchmark Results

Stock BIOS

3DMark Vantage Professional Edition (PhysX Disabled)

3DMark Vantage Professional Edition (PhysX Enabled)

Crysis v1.2.1

Raw Data

Run #1: Minimum FPS: 13.08, Average FPS: 22.16, Maximum FPS: 35.02
    Run #2: Minimum FPS: 11.32, Average FPS: 18.595, Maximum FPS: 28.30
    Run #3: Minimum FPS: 9.80, Average FPS: 16.065, Maximum FPS: 23.69

Updated BIOS

Crysis v1.2.1

Raw Data

Run #1: Minimum FPS: 22.57, Average FPS: 33.065, Maximum FPS: 41.73
    Run #2: Minimum FPS: 19.34, Average FPS: 26.895, Maximum FPS: 33.67
    Run #3: Minimum FPS: 16.26, Average FPS: 22.33, Maximum FPS: 27.16

Overclocking

Stock BIOS Maximum Stable Overclock

Core Clock: 650 MHz
    Shader Clock: 1400 MHz
    Memory Clock: 1200 MHz

Updated BIOS Maximum Stable Overclock

Core Clock: 675 MHz
    Shader Clock: 1400 MHz
    Memory Clock: 1200 MHz

Overclocked Testing

Benchmark Results

Stock BIOS

Crysis v1.2.1

Raw Data

Run #1: Minimum FPS: 14.69, Average FPS: 24.455, Maximum FPS: 38.62
    Run #2: Minimum FPS: 12.60, Average FPS: 20.51, Maximum FPS: 31.18
    Run #3: Minimum FPS: 11.00, Average FPS: 17.71, Maximum FPS: 26.34

Updated BIOS

Crysis v1.2.1

Raw Data

Run #1: Minimum FPS: 23.31, Average FPS: 35.72, Maximum FPS: 45.36
    Run #2: Minimum FPS: 21.11, Average FPS: 29.35, Maximum FPS: 36.97
    Run #3: Minimum FPS: 17.87, Average FPS: 24.375, Maximum FPS: 29.33

Temperature Testing Results

Stock BIOS

Stock BIOS (Overclocked)

Updated BIOS

Updated BIOS (Overclocked)

Conclusion

When I first started to test the video card with 3DMark Vantage, I have noticed an unusually low score compare to what regular GTX280's were getting, so I decided to go and test Crysis afterwords. Upon testing I had also found that the results were unusually low for a GTX280, almost on par with a 9800GT. Well as you would expect, I seemed a bit puzzled and confused at first and thought to myself, is this really all the card could handle? No way. So I decided to think of several reason for my terribly low performance and I had come to the conclusion that either the updated drivers lacked proper support for earlier revisions of this card (since they were never release) or, the BIOS might be some kind of primitive "debugging BIOS" used in NVIDIA labs for testing and diagnosing purposes. So I decided to give it a shot and find the latest NVIDIA-based GTX280 BIOS on MVKTech.net. When I first came up with the idea I thought, there is no way the hardware would be similar enough to make this work, but I decided to try it anyways and see if it might just work and if it didn't I would just reflash back to the original. So I saved a copy of the original BIOS (since I knew there was no where I could find it online if anything went wrong) and decided to proceed with the flash. And surely enough, upon reboot, I was ecstatic to see that EVGA splash screen.

Even though I did flash the BIOS, I decided to use NiBitor to compare the two BIOS's before further testing. And from what I saw, aside from clocks and voltages, there wasn't a single thing different that would make the card operate any different. Regardless of my findings I decided to test it anyways and see if there might be some miracle and it actually performs properly. As soon as that Crysis benchmark loaded and started going I noticed a drastic difference in FPS. Everything start moving so swiftly and smoothly. I decided to wait for the results before making any assumptions and surely enough, as soon as the results came up, I saw a near 50% increase in performance all around. At this point, I decided to flash back to the previous BIOS and start testing and recording my results. Soon as I was finished I reflashed back to the newer BIOS and test again to compare my findings. After confirming the vast performance increase I decided to follow it up with overclocking on both BIOS's to see if one overclocked better than the other as well as testing the temperatures.

Soon as I completed all my tests I was able to find that my performance was far greater. The overclocking potential of the older BIOS was quite limited due to the fact that the voltages on the original BIOS were lower which in effect limited the stability at higher clocks. And upon all my testing, I had decided to stay with updated BIOS due to the fact that, even with overclocked clocks, the original BIOS couldn't achieve anywhere near the performance of the upgraded BIOS. To sum up this very interesting review, I can honestly say, this card is unlike the likes of which I've ever seen before. It is amazingly well built with very solid cooling and performs (on the new BIOS) like a champion. In effect I can confirm that this risky purchase was worth every penny and will definitely go down as one of the luckiest purchases I've ever made.

Great find. Nice write up.

Xtreme Member
    Good job but...welcome to 2 years ago?

CPU: Ci7 920 D0 3.6ghz @ 1.176V + Thermalright Venomous X /w San Aces @ 2000RPM
    Mobo: eVGA X58 SLI LE (S71H)
    RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 /w CMXAF2
    GPU: XFX GTX 285 SLI @ 675/1628/2534
    PSU: Corsair HX850
    HDD: WD Black 1TB / WD Green 750GB
    Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX
    Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D /w Noctua NF-P12s

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, nice! Thanks for the review. I like how they've soldered wires in replacement of traces on the PCB. I guess the need for that trace was an afterthought.

Also wanted to comment from the PCB sticker, and writing on IHS, this is the 8th G200 A1 is from week 11 08, GTX280 came out June 16, 18 weeks later. 4.5 months. First time we saw 7th GF100 pcb + A1 chip was late October on Facebook. Late Oct + 4.5 months = early March 2010.

edit: Just noticed that the PCB was made in USA, instead of mass produced in Hong Kong, Taiwan or China like all the final GTX280's. You def have a cool GTX280!

Last edited by jaredpace; 02-02-2010 at 09:36 AM.
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If only they would make more gpus in the USA!

Xtreme Member
    I looking for this one for me since she left! congratulations, do not want to sell it not? hehehehhe

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH!

Quote Originally Posted by LeandroJVarini View Post
    I looking for this one for me since she left! congratulations, do not want to sell it not? hehehehhe
    It's actually in the process of being sold for $535 USD so I doubt anyone else will want it because this seller is so desperate he wants to beat anyone else's price to have it.

Xtreme Member
    I wish we had this sort!

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH!