Thread: Playing With My First SLR

Xtreme Member

Playing With My First SLR

I found a great deal on a T1i combo at Bestbuy that I couldn't resist, so I decided that it was worth the extra $$$ over a XSi.

Here are some of my better shots (over 300 in the last 24 hours!) I'm surprised at how much I have learned over the last 24 hours, especially how easy it is to balance out the Tv, Av, and ISO settings.

For the product type shots, I simply used some white craft paper for the background and natural lighting from the windows, which are right above. I plan on making a lightbox sometime in the near future.

C&C welcome.

Rebel T1i
    TV: 1/25
    ISO: 200
    Lens: EF-S 18-55, focal length 23mm
    Av: 4.5
    WB: Daylight

Rebel T1i
    ISO: 800
    Lens: EF-S 18-55, focal length 55mm
    Av: 5.6
    WB: Custom

Rebel T1i
    ISO: 200
    Lens: EF-S 18-55, focal length 55mm
    WB: Custom

Rebel T1i
    TV: 1/20
    ISO: 800
    Lens: EF-S 18-55, focal length 40mm
    WB: Daylight

Last edited by H2O; 02-01-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Xtreme Addict
    That last one is nice.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

I am Xtreme
    a deal at best buy ? i dont believe it... joking,, but serious.

looks like you got the body with the standard 18-55mm lens.
    if you paid more than 750 for it you got robbed.
    if you paid less it was an ok deal.

now go spend $99 somewhere for the canon 50mm F/1.8 prime lens and start to enjoy your camera.

dont forget that auto white balance is pretty yucky...

take a coffe filter and cover the end of the lens and take a picture in the same environment you want to take a regular picture.
    then go into the menu and choose custom white balance then select that white-ish picture you just took.
    now set the white balance to custom white balance and start taking pictures.
    notice how they are not all yellow/orange like your first picture?

coffee filter white balance is, many times, a little on the cool side but its better than the auto balance of the camera.
    outdoors pictures produce a better auto white balance.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    Thanks guys.

Yeah I was actually surprised that BestBuy had such a great deal. I was in there on Saturday looking at cameras and the TLi was $800 so I went home planning to order it online. I went back Sunday to look one more time and they had lowered the price to $750 and there was a special for a T1i + the Canon Starter Kit (bag, extra battery, UV filter) + an 8GB Scandisk Professional SDHC card for $850.

Thanks for the tips about the white balance. I went out after the first shot and bought the paper that was used in the background, and I used it to set the white balance. In the last picture, there was not enough sunlight to show the proper white balance (even after resetting it several times) so I set it to Daylight, which gave the background a nice blue tint that (IMO) looks better as it helps the ball pop out a little more.
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Xtreme Cruncher
    $750 was only a decent "deal" on the T1i. And the starter kit definitely ripped you off..
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Good luck with your new cam.
    I like the third shot, partly because I like that fan also, LOL.

Anyway, don't forget what Lestat said about that dirt cheap 50mm prime lens, it'll be a good addition.
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

Yea, you can get the T1i cheaper from amazon a month back along with an better lense i believe

I am Xtreme
    hey H2O dont be to mad but the T2i is coming out in March (or was it april i forget) and it is going to simply kick the living sh|t out of the T1i.......
    dont you just hate it when you buy something and then a month or 2 later something better (and in this case i do mean BETTER) comes out.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    Yes, I knew the 550D was coming out in a few months, but I decided to go with a T1i because it was cheaper, and I didn't want to wait several months for the camera to become widely available. Looking at the list of changes, there isn't really anything major, so I am not too disappointed that I went with a T1i. It is a great camera, and the $200 I saved would be better put towards my build or maybe a new lens.
    Regards,
    Chris

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Actually the changes are pretty big for a Rebel but there is no point waiting for something new to come out if you need something now.