Thread: Samsung takes top spot from HP

I am Xtreme

Post Samsung takes top spot from HP

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/
    Seoul, South Korea (FT) -- Samsung Electronics has overtaken Hewlett-Packard as the world's biggest technology company by sales, a sign of how strongly some South Korean companies have bounced back from the economic downturn.

Samsung on Friday reported 2009 sales of $117.8 billion which exceeded HP's sales of $114.6 billion for the year to October 31. It is expected to surpass its U.S. rival again this year -- its 2010 sales are forecast at $127 billion, compared with $120 billion from HP.

The company, which also announced a return to operational profit in the fourth quarter, was once dismissed as a copy-cat manufacturer and poor cousin to its Japanese rivals.

But Samsung surprised many when its market capitalization overtook Sony's in 2002. This year analysts forecast that Samsung's net profit will surpass that of the leading 15 Japanese technology companies combined in the fiscal year to March 2011, according to Bloomberg data.

Samsung is the world's leading maker of memory chips and liquid crystal displays. It is second only to Nokia in mobile handsets. Some 48 per cent of the company's equity is held by foreign investors.

The presence in Korea of the world's biggest technology company is a boon to Lee Myung-bak, the country's president, who is using Seoul's presidency of the G20 leading economies this year to elevate South Korea's international standing.

But Samsung's revenues are not matched by a similar growth in profits. "Compare it with Apple. There is still a gap in profit margins of their phone businesses," said Jae Lee, of Daiwa Securities.

Samsung's size is also a headache for management, as many competitors are also clients. Management battles to balance the interests of its chipmakers against the mobile phone unit, with the company supplying the chips for Apple's iPhone, while marketing its own devices at the same time.

Samsung's chipmakers are unlikely to give any preferential treatment to its own phonemakers over Nokia or Apple.

Samsung's transformation has been rapid and even late into the 1990s Samsung found it hard to penetrate the U.S. market with consumer electronics, getting short shrift from U.S. retailers such as Circuit City.

The company's then chairman, Lee Kun-hee, launched a drive for innovation and quality in 1993, famously exhorting his workers to "change everything except their wives and kids".

Lee this month warned that the company cannot rest on its laurels, despite its huge sales.

Samsung has consistently struggled to be creative and is still looking to lead the industry by developing its own "killer products" rather than playing catch up with competitors.

Lee resigned the chairmanship in 2008 amid a scandal, but has said he could consider returning, after receiving a presidential pardon last year.

Samsung is not the only South Korean company to climb the sales rankings during the downturn. Hyundai-Kia, long the world's sixth-biggest carmaker, has emerged as number four, having proved adept at reading the U.S. market.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Cool. I really like samsung's products. The syncmaster T240 monitor, and the ML1630 printer, for example, are among my favorite electronic devices in my home. They have a good balance of style, function, simplicity, and reliability.

Banned
    Well yeah, it seems that while we were playing around here with this imaginary crysis some parts of the world were not impressed by bull like this. Way to go, what can I say? As the demand of of nand chips and screen panels will only rise I can not see how HP will recover. In Europe and big parts of Asia the transition to HD television has not fully taken place yet. At the same time SSD have not yet been accepted in the enterprise world. When this two things will happen, in a year or two Samsung will only gain more market share and profit. It's all about tactics and strategy really. HP was a maker of TV sets at one point, yet it withdrew from that market, right before the US started to implement the HD transition. HP is also a maker of mobile phones but I bet that most people here don't even know that because those sets are not taken seriously, not even by HP itself. It doesn't help either that for the same money that an entry level HP jet printer costs you can get an entry level Samsung laser printer...

Last edited by Katanai; 01-31-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Those Koreans man... Such hard workers. Trying to stand out from the crowd, looking to innovate in everything. Even their digging trucks are sexy. Good job, they deserve it.
    i9 9900K/1080 Ti

Xtreme Member
    woohoo, go Samsung.
    Samsung SyncMaster monitor, Samsung rebranded Corsair SSD and SpinPoint F3 owner here.
    Very happy.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Samsung is becoming the china of the technology world.

Xtreme Mentor
    the world is slowly pulling out of the financial crisis and Samsung seems to get out of it faster then others wich is the reason they are atm number 1.

And seeing Samsung is HUGE there wil always be parts that arent affected by the situation or wil get out of it faster.

i love samsung monitors and also their HDDs but hate the bad support for their phones.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Member
    Google and Samsung will rule world together

Xtreme Addict
    HP is overpriced.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 02-01-2010 at 01:17 PM.

I am Xtreme
    do those numbers also count for the home appliances made by Samsung?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donitsi View Post
    Google and Samsung will rule this Middle Earth together
    ---
    ---
    "Generally speaking, CMOS power consumption is the result of charging and discharging gate capacitors. The charge required to fully charge the gate grows with the voltage; charge times frequency is current. Voltage times current is power. So, as you raise the voltage, the current consumption grows linearly, and the power consumption quadratically, at a fixed frequency. Once you reach the frequency limit of the chip without raising the voltage, further frequency increases are normally proportional to voltage. In other words, once you have to start raising the voltage, power consumption tends to rise with the cube of frequency."
    +++
    1st
    CPU - 2600K(4.4ghz)/Mobo - AsusEvo/RAM - 8GB1866mhz/Cooler - VX/Gfx - Radeon 6950/PSU - EnermaxModu87+700W
    +++
    2nd
    TRUltra-120Xtreme /// EnermaxModu82+(625w) /// abitIP35pro/// YorkfieldQ9650-->3906mhz(1.28V) /// 640AAKS & samsung F1 1T &samsung F1640gb&F1 RAID 1T /// 4gigs of RAM-->520mhz /// radeon 4850(700mhz)-->TRHR-03 GT
    ++++
    3rd
    Windsor4200(11x246-->2706mhz-->1.52v) : Zalman9500 : M2N32-SLI Deluxe : 2GB ddr2 SuperTalent-->451mhz : seagate 7200.10 320GB :7900GT(530/700) : Tagan530w

Xtreme Cruncher
    Except their $150 BD player is a glitchy POS, other than that Samsung is great.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Addict
    it's over.
    hp is finished.
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by grimREEFER View Post
    it's over.
    hp is finished.
    Not by a long shot tbh.
    Their name is stil big and that has alot of value.

Samsung makes some great products but they also make alot of crap.

Tech comes and goes and for a company to keep growing and staying big they wil have to make the right decisions when new tech comes. If Samsung would make a few wrong decisions and HP makes the right ones then it all changes
    Groucho Marx

Xtreme Addict
    Not surprising, they're the pride and joy of South Korea. They've been working towards being this big for a very long time and they continue to try hard to make sure they are the leaders in their respective fields.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Member
    Actually, as a company, Samsung is huge. In Korea, they construct buildings; and you can even buy Samsung branded ginseng over there!

This is just their tech department taking over.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Samsung makes some great products but they also make alot of crap.
    Most of their products are very decent imo. Sure, they make a lot of not-so-awesome stuff, but it comes cheap due to being low end and least.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemax View Post
    Actually, as a company, Samsung is huge. In Korea, they construct buildings; and you can even buy Samsung branded ginseng over there!

This is just their tech department taking over.
    Yea, Samsung Group as a whole is gigantic... this article is only talking about Samsung Electronics. It's not just Korea, the two tallest buildings in the world, Taipei 101 and the Burj Khalifa were built by Samsung Engineering & Constructions.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Most of their products are very decent imo. Sure, they make a lot of not-so-awesome stuff, but it comes cheap due to being low end and least.
    As an example i take my Samsung phone.

I got a Samsung Spica. it isnt an expensive 500 euro phone but it also isnt a 100 euro budget phone.

Samsungs support on the phone is pretty bad.
    Its specs on the Samsung site are incorrect. I got a CD with software with the phone. The software doesnt support my phone and corrupts my micro SD card in the phone.
    I checked the Samsung site and couldnt find a fix, therefor the software is useless so why include it with the phone?
    I cant download new firmware on the samsung site i can only get new firmware from a 3rd party site wich claims its official firmware.
    I dont know if Samsung is ok with what that site does or even supports it, if they do support it it may be their way to avoid customers complaining about flashing gone bad.

Im also happy that after tons of people asking about it Samsung finally said theyl come with an Android 2.0 upgrade this month but tbh im not expecting any upgrades after that.

HTCs support for their phones is great even SonyEricssons support is better then Samsungs.
    Alot of people are actualy going with HTC due to their support.
    Samsung could really step up a bit with their phone support it would definetly improve their sales.
    Groucho Marx

Xtreme Member
    yah i'm never buying samsung phone again... my samsung eternity doesn't even have speed dial.
    Q6600
    Powercolor Ax6870 1GB
    Corsair HX620
    WD3200AAKS
    MSI p43 neo3
    patriot 2gb 800MHz

Quote Originally Posted by donitsi View Post
    Don't you mean Google and the NSA?

I own 2 Samsung monitors and like both of them.
    Chose my LG 52" TV and Oppo BDP over Samsung however.

Their mainstream stuff is pretty good but don't care for their pricing/performance on their 'higher end' products.
    AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.5Ghz | OCZ Vendetta II | Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H 790GX | Mushkin Redlines 5-5-5-15 | XFX 8800GT XT 512MB @ 700/1050 | WD Raptor 36,74gig | OCZ GameXstream 850w | Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 | Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW | Logitec x530 5.1 | Windows 7 Home Pre.