X

Subscribe to New Ads!

Receive weekly ads in your inbox!

Thread: Radeon 5870 @ LN2 - MSI's unlocked BIOS from Garrett Wu

One-Eyed Killing Machine

Radeon 5870 @ LN2 - MSI's unlocked BIOS from Garrett Wu

If you feel this isn't the appropriate section feel free to move the thread ( yeah, like you needed my permission to do that ) and accept my sincere apologies.

I'm a bit annoyed and can get even more annoyed if I find out that my issues were caused by the modified unlocked BIOS from MSI's Garrett Wu which can be found at Guru3D's forums.

Which BIOS version are you using guys ? Do you have any issues with this specific BIOS ?

Any help is appreciated.
    Sorry if I sound frustrated ( it's because I indeed am frustrated )
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Uhh background?

silver wall jumper X
    been using a MSI card with that bios without any problems - what's the issue?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Uhh background?
    Jessica Alba from the Oscars ( LOL just kidding )

Issues faced...

1) Vertical gray lines ( at stock clocks & overclocked ) [ tried 2 different OS installations, WinXP x86 + Cat 9.10 and Win7x64 + Cat 9.10 ]
    2) The weirdest thing I've ever faced ( maybe not, I wasn't calm enough to think properly at that time )
    System shutting down due to CPU temperatures... that were nowhere near the coldbug.
    Once I switched the card with a 4550 that I had around the system worked fine and the CPU could bench fine again at -140C... and wouldn't cause any system shutdowns before exceeding -145C.

I didn't check off-loading the load on the PSU by hooking up a second PSU, but I doubt it was the PSU's fault.
    Insulation checked and was nice 'n' clean ( the VGA is also plastic spray coated to the bone, it's like 5 layers of it ).

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

silver wall jumper X
    verticla gray lines - seen that a lot - but this might be the fix AMD has in the pipeline. Also getting those grey lines obviously when coldbugging. You sure to have minimal temp swing? 5870 doesn't appear to like excessive temp swings

what temps are you running the VGA at?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Tried various temps.
    With little to none temperature swing ( K|ngp|n's Tek-9 3.0 fat body here ).

At 1150MHz GPU for example:

-42C to -45C [ would gray line occasionally ]
    -60C to -65C [ would gray line occasionally ]
    -100C to -102C [ would gray line occasionally ]
    -150C to -155C [ gray line but at a lower rate I think ]
    -180 to -182C [ would gray line at a similar rate to -150C-155C ]
    -184C = artifacts [ once the temp gets higher than -183C ( e.g. -182C ) hit F5 once and artifacts = gone

Best bench was AquaMark 3 run @ 1267MHz @ 1.472Vgpu.

Might just be a bad sample GFX card.

Nice Hardware!!!
    Yes, it is propably the card itself which is bad. I had similar experience last weekend with random sample from shop.

That card I tested was the worst ever. Temperature or voltages did not change the situation too much.
    You are as good as your samples are!

Xtreme Member
    I think ATI/AMD just acknowledged the gray line issue and has pin pointed it to software.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Eff it, I'm cleaning it tomorrow and returning it to the shop.
    FFS.
    Card #2 gets a bath in plastic spray tomorrow

Thanks for your help & experiences guys

Xtreme Member
    On which frequency was memory?
    Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz 1.27V under TRUE Black || Asus P6T|| 3x1GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz + 3x1GB Mushkin 1600MHz || Powercolor Radeon HD4870X2 2GB DDR5 || WD's Black (1+0.5)TB & Green 1TB || Corsair TX650 || Samsung 245B+ || Windows7 7600 RTM x64

Xtreme Mentor
    I need to underclock memory to 1100MHz on mine not to have gray lines issue

The core rocks though! 1100MHz++ with only 1.31V on AIR
    Good luck with your second sample BenchZowner
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by madmax999 View Post
    On which frequency was memory?
    Both on stock & mildly or heavily overclocked, didn't seem to matter ( I left the mem @ stock most of the time )

Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
    I need to underclock memory to 1100MHz on mine not to have gray lines issue

The core rocks though! 1100MHz++ with only 1.31V on AIR
    Good luck with your second sample BenchZowner
    Thanks bud