Thread: HD 5870 is a heat monster, but loves the cold

-100C Club Member

HD 5870 is a heat monster, but loves the cold

For the last week I have been playing with the cascade on the cpu at -108c to -103c, and a 2hp single stage on the gpu running -55c load testing this card. I tried giving the card between 1.35v and 1.5v and it just wasn’t stable, couldn’t even clock the card to 1050mhz. At first I thought the card was a dud, but just in case had to try it on ln2. What I did find out is the card is a heat monster and needs at least -80c to clock above 1200mhz. At -130c MSi after burner maxed oute core at 1275mhz. I tried both MSIAfterburnerSetup142 and MSIAfterburnerSetup150Beta2. I have flashed the card to MSi bios 910 I think.
    Can any one suggest a tool or bios to make the card clock past 1275core. This card has no cold bug so I have big plans for it 

Vantage 23695

3dmark 06, 31311

3dmark 05, 42670

3dmark 03, 103578

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Good Work M8
    Nice GPU Clock For 06
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    AMD FX-8120
    ATI HD5750 Silent+ATI HD5770
    Kingston 1333 2*2GB
    GP1035B
    Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme

Sorry For My Great English

Amazing results...This 5870 really loves the cold...
    Biostar Tpower X58 + i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz HT On + CoolerBOX (-_-) + 2x 30GB SSD Ocz Agility in Raid0

No Raid 0 = 1 SSD DeaD...

Good results,but no offence,the results are not that impressive i might say,considering the fact that some other guyz get similar scores with watercooling on both cpu and vga

http://www.outofspecs.gr/forum/showp...0&postcount=82

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAnt View Post
    Good results,but no offence,the results are not that impressive i might say,considering the fact that some other guyz get similar scores with watercooling on both cpu and vga

Look @ gfx clocks instead.

-100C Club Member
    thanxs guys

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAnt View Post
    Good results,but no offence,the results are not that impressive i might say,considering the fact that some other guyz get similar scores with water cooling on both cpu and vga

thats only one bench though "vantage" your comparing to.
    Im not that good at vantage, in time i will improve though, it was only one nights benching. if i concentrate on just once bench and efficiency scores will improve
    But before that i need a gpu tool that clocks core past 1275

this was round one of insulation.
    After getting a little excited with the card not having a cold bug ran temps at around -145 to -160c.
    At the start i was pouring the ln2 too quick then all of a sudden the card was at -170c
    Good old kayl pot.

system crashed and posted a gpu error code. Looked at the card and it was sweating all over, even on the vga connector it was insane. So shut system down and warmed the card up, added insulation all in around 20mins :nod:

and the tube extension, the card was so hot as you added the ln2 in it was back blowing out of the tube :heh:

Last edited by kayl; 01-30-2010 at 06:33 AM.

ODOC
    SICK

Its super cool to see your name in this section again Kayl, been way way to long time since we have seen some action from ya man

keep pushing it , looking forward to the further process

@Lastviking & kayl

Ithink u got me wrong
    I just stated that the overall score isn;t that great,since with a similar set up but with watercool and not subzero,kfrei got a very good score,very close to yours (aka kayl).
    And as he said,he is still testing on vantage.So i believe that he will improve ithopefully on his next runs.

But its allways nice to play under subzero and i hope you have fun and enjoy it and if a good score comes on the way,it will be a +

Memory Addict
    Looking good there Kayl - go Team Australia
    ---